1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My experiment with fasting....

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Mindian, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

Trust you to interpret fasting to fast eating!! :rotfl:rotfl

it is not too different, though. Google tells me that the word fast comes from holding fast (or securely) to your beliefs and if feasting is your belief why not?!!

and going by the Fbs here if keeping a fast could mean feasting, dieting too could possibly mean the same thing !! you never know ,our Ilites could come up with all sorts of justifications.:)

it was obviously a wrong place to ask advice.LOL....know your audience, Mindi :bonk

2. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hello Mindian
    So we are many in here who are absolute foodies! The last lent season I decided to go on a "non-veg free diet" ( and I am a crazy non-veg).
    I was proud that I had almost completed the entire lent season successfully, and in the last week we had a party (some inaugration!) at work!...by now the office boys knew that I was off non veg, so they just offered me a few french fries and cookies on my table (in these arabic parties there is very limited inclusion of good veg stuff!) Amidst the party mood I forgot all about my lent! I called the boy and told him to get me all the other goodies ( he was bewildered, but chose to keep mum!), I guess there was a lot of greed in my eyes. I had my fill, and as I bite into the last succulant pie...I realized to my dismay,.......OMG ruined the entire 42 days of abstinence> I called out to the office boy...and you know what followed;;; I could read his mind like... " you were the glutton!!!"
    Being a first-timer into this fasting, I forgave myself!
    Mega

3. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Dear kamala,

I loved your hearty response,written like a true foodie :thumbsup

The 'e" for eating is always there! And fast is bad word when it comes to food!

Hahaha thanks to you now I know what the "e" in dieting stands for and will never venture that.

I do LOVE your policy.:)

I do remember my GM admonishing my chithi that the veetu maha lakshmi should not fast on Friday but I also knew that fasting was something my GM could never do and hence never believed in that statement.
    now I know all feasters advocate that statement.:)

. Would you like to join us?

Now that is such a tempting invite that it takes all my willpower to not just sit on the next available flight and land at your place for I know maargazhi or not it is always a feast at kamalas,especially when her sons are back.:)

4. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Dear srini,

Good girl, knew I could count on you.thanks I guess I should start with at least one tiffin a day and the rest as liquids.:)

You know after this change of fasting to Tuesdays, no family is calling us for the party or celebrations :biglaugh:

Hahaha LIFE........ I tell you, never ceases to amuse me.now if you ask the feasters they will say that is a sign for you to stop fasting.:)

5. vchelluri

vchelluri Gold IL'ite

Hi Mindi,
    Though I got to see all the elders in my family do fasting regularly, I am really scared of that word itself. I attempted to do fast on Mahasivaratri when I was in 10th (I think) but could barely do until afternoon and had to grab a lot in order to avoid myself faint. Whenever I am a bit late in taking my regular breakfast/lunch/dinner I feel dizzy a lot and so never dare to do so and make sure to eat strictly on time.
    Being scared of fasting by myself you won't be getting any good suggestions from me.
    My MIL used to be on fast for long periods (not fasting in real, said to be dieting) when I was newly married. I used to wonder a lot until I faced the truth that she was on sleeping pills since 3 yrs. as her empty stomach used to growl in the nights not allowing her to have a nice sleep.:spin It took me 2yrs. to make her discontinue that practice but couldn't make her stay on right track. Though she stopped taking sleeping pills, now she starves herself days together taking only ragi malt (2-3 glasses/day) and feasts on whatever comes the way for few more days later only to starve herself again.:bonk

Regards,
    Latha.

6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

tks for sharing Bhargs.:) you really have some will power :thumbsup

..after all, it's just for a day in a month....and I just hog on the remaining days...

that is exactly what I thought too.:).I would like to be in control over my desire to eat. lets see how I fare the second time.:)

7. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

thanks Ambi...:)
    .So what Im trying to say is I don't need to fast to understand that.
    Good for you .My father too used to do the same.:)

Jokes apart the very purpose of fasting is to understand the difficulties faced by needy.

very nicely said. and charity after all begins at home. Thats what made me realize how silly I was to go around looking for causes to donate and feed the poor when a hungry person comes home everyday. Thank God for opening my eyes in time.:)

8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hi mega

Since you broke the fast because you forgot yourself and gave in to whatever you were doing,.......hmmmmmm even if if it is partying, you are totally forgiven(it is amazing how we can come up with such stuff to justify our (mis)actions.LOL)

9. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hi latha,

I dont think you should attempt also.because looks like your BP was low. Take care it is okay even if you don't have suggestions. :)
    Sweet of you to join in here.:)
    Your Mil' s fasting and feasting phases sound interesting

10. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Mindi..
    I saw your post just before lunch.. and I told myself let me come back to this one on a "full stomach"...
    fasting.. is not in my religion!!!!... we parsis only feast whether is good news or bad news.. birth or death.. food is the centre of our existence.. so I never have fasted ever.. but my MIL is too fond of fasting... luckily my FIL's family don't believe in any rituals as such.. did you know that bengalees fast on their wedding day!!!.. only the bride thats what I was told to my astonishment.. well I told them that I would fall dead so the FIL told me have your meals avoid non veg and rice and keep your mouth shut about it!!!..
    Kerman