1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My doubt

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Oct 30, 2012.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Iam writing this not to hurt anyone but to clear my doubt. Same subject written by different people only some get good responses and some are nominated also but for some they dont get responses. Is it in the writing of a person that they do not get good responses or is it that they are not good in narrating.

We all need inspiration. However, I believe writers may need it more. We need inspiration, and encouragement to keep us writing. Without this we would produce nothing and be forced to actually get a life.

They say theres a fine line between genius and insanity. If a man thinks he can write, does that make him genius or insane for trying. I ask myself, are we born with talent, or is talent created in us? I guess not all of us are naturally gifted or talented. I assume that gifts or talents would have to be built with practice, dedication and commitment. They say put your heart into it but what about your soul? Is compassion or lust for grammar and written word a sin? I dont know. Does it make me mad with insanity? Sometimes. The pen is an instrument of the mind; only through it will my thoughts find relief. So they say theres a fine line between genius and insanity. Which one am I, at this time I dont really know; which one am I?
    John Miller quotes |

2. vidyamenon

vidyamenon New IL'ite

aunty
    all geniuses are to a certain extent insane,if insanity is the byproduct of genuis will u agree to be called as genius?
    regards
    vidya

3. vidyamenon

vidyamenon New IL'ite

Is it in the writing of a person that they do not get good responses or is it that they are not good in narrating.
    it depends on the mood of the person who is reading the query,i think.

4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Vidya dear thank you so much for your first and sweet fb. You made my day

5. alekya1

alekya1 Gold IL'ite

I guess both

1 person likes this.
  6. fencesitter

fencesitter Platinum IL'ite

It may also need IL marketing skills i guess?!

SCA, Kamla, iyerviji and 1 other person like this.
  7. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

My dear Viji
    Very thought provoking writing from you here. After reading, I am reminded of my singing abilities or musical talents or to be really exact lack of musical abilities.
    My husband is a very good singer of songs mainly film and devotional and some carnatic too. I am a huge admirer of his voice and talents and always love and enjoy listening to him sing.
    We have the home version of karaoke music which he excels at and sings with some close friends who are also musically talented.
    I am what is usually referred to as “jnana suniyam” meaning no knowledge of music. All I can offer is my love to listen to music.
    However my husband patiently trained me and now I can sing a few songs too. I mostly enjoy singing about Krishna. Anyways my point is after being patiently trained and with lots of repetitive practice, I can sing a few songs. It surprises me that I sing something at all considering I don’t know how to!.
    My husband even bought a machine where you can lower the pitch so its easier for me to sing.
    I am finally after rambling so long arriving at my point :)
    Writing may not come naturally for all as singing too cannot come easily for all.
    However with trial and practice this can also be attempted with varying degress of success.
    Like in any endeavor one has to spend quality time in practice that which makes one perfect.
    For me writing is just a natural expression of me and truly does not matter if I get a response or if anyone reads. To prove my statement you can visit my blog section and note that there are hardly any responses to my writing maybe except the random one.
    I post in my blog section my most important writings and what truly matters to me and what holds real meaning for me.
    It has so far not bothered or affected me that there are no responses. I think its because I write genuinely for myself and my devotional writing has already found its reader.
    Forgive me for rambling so long. Best wishes dear.:)

“A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song.”
    ― Maya Angelou

8. 6teenpearls

6teenpearls Gold IL'ite

IMO people create perception for a person as soon as they get to read something good from him/her.. Minding that the person is a very good writer..& vice versa!
    & may be the next time as the writer posts something, it is yet not read completly but still liked.
    I have come through this type of experience, few ppl are famous for their write up, but if they even mention a couple of words in their FB, they will still get responses..& likes.. Even of they didnt understand the orginal post though..
    And if the posts is full of difficult words or funny phrases or something like that, then it makes the post readable, and if it lacks it all, its boring!!

It is very difficult for everyone to shape their minds into words but i believe every one is a good narrator, writer & speaker.. It is just the way of expressing is different for all!!

I dont know even i could express my feelings or not.. But viji aunty.. Nice post from you!!

Thyagarajan, Kamla, Yumna and 3 others like this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Viji Akka,

I have to agree with AC on writing only for my own satisfaction as opposed to expecting good responses or being liked by ILites. I have to repeat my slogan I wrote a few minutes back to Satchi that it is always good to increase our performance and decrease our expectation. That is the greatest strength for success. To write, all I need is self-motivation, subject-matter and a little bit language skills to express my views.

But there are some guidelines that I follow which I am sharing with you and I am sure you might have some of your own and I will be glad to hear and follow them:

1) I Spend a little bit of time developing my thought into a meaningful post

2) I try and write my posts with clarity and make it easy to understand for others and follow my thoughts

3) I edit the post couple of times for better expression of my thoughts. I don't have the best writing skills

4) Thought I develop and write about should be easy for the readers to relate to or should be unique or bring back memories or stimulate them to share their thoughts on the subject. Regular day to day matters don't excite ILites

5) I definitely respond to each one of the respondent with lot more information making them feel happy to respond time and again to each of my posts

6) I post my thoughts at regular intervals instead of posting too many of them around the same time.

7) Most importantly, I respect other writers and respond to their posts meaningfully

8) Even if I have a different view, I express them diplomatically with due respect to the writer's view and without hurting the sentiments of the writer

9) I don't feel pressurized to benchmark myself with others. I know I can't succeed that battle as I know this forum has some of the greatest writers already as members. I have to find my own space and it is impossible for me to match the writings of others.

10) Lastly, I write for my own satisfaction on a subject that I like. I understand it is impossible to make the readers like the subjects I choose to write about or appreciate my writings. All I can do is to try to draw attention.

In my opinion, most ILites if not all, like you a lot and many of them respect you as a mother. You are already doing a wonderful job of interacting with as many ILites as possible. Keep enjoying your presence here. Each one of us have our unique skills and that makes this forum very interesting and exciting. I don't want to be someone else and if I do, I lose my identity.

Viswa

10. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

Your quotes and your style of writing always impresses me ma !!
    You have a huge fan club who adore you and your writing skills especially your thoughts !! This in itself is an award to cherish !! And this award comes to all your writeups.

SCA, Poetlatha, Kamla and 2 others like this.