1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Bed Room

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Aug 16, 2017.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

My bed room

I have a bed room.
    (Nothing great ! Most have.)
    It has four walls.
    (Nothing special ! All rooms have walls, that's why they are called rooms.)
    It has a door.
    (So what ? All rooms have at least one door.)
    It has a bed.
    (No doubt ! That's why it is called a bed room.)
    It has a window.
    (Well, that's something ! Some don't. The question is how often you keep it open?)
    There is more. It has a dressing table, a writing table with my desk top on it, a closet serving as a mini temple, an almirah with a locker, a fan, an air-conditioner, a heater and and...
    (Hold on! Is it your resting place or a Godown?)
    But I need all of them. It is soothing to have them close by, just in case. In the beginning, there was just a mat. But I slept well.
    (You mean you don't sleep well now.)
    Not exactly. It did not happen suddenly. It happened over time. They say as you grow old, you get less and less of sleep.
    (So you think there is no connection between these possessions and sleep.)
    I don't know but I am surely worried. I want to get rid of them before I go.
    (Where are you going?)
    As if you don't know! Every one has to go one day. There is no one to use these items after I am not there. Some of them are not that old too. Only if I could dispose some of them for even half the price.
    (Why? don't you have any children?)
    I have but they live far away. In any case they don't need them. They have their own.
    (Don't worry. There is a solution. Give them to a scrap dealer at whatever price he agrees.)
    How can I do that? I spent fortune on these items.
    (Then give them to your relatives.)
    All selfish guys, don't deserve.
    (Then donate to some charitable organization.)
    All of them are cheat, a blot in the name of charity.
    (Then take them along with you. Make a will saying all your belongings should be used as a funeral wood and burnt with your mortal remains.)
    GOOD IDEA, THANK YOU.

Kamalji, MaruthiRao, kaniths and 5 others like this.

2. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

What did you bring when you entered this world? You came here empty handed.
    I know that you have written this in a lighter vein.
    My reply is also in the same lighter vein though it has its Profound meaning.

Have you read the story of " Alexander, The great?"

These were his last three wishes.

Alexander, after conquering many kingdoms, was returning home. On the way, he fell ill and it took him to his death bed. With death staring him in his face, Alexander realized how his conquests,his great army, his sharp sword and all his wealth were of no consequence. He now longed to reach home to see his mother's face and bid her his last adieu. But, he had to accept the fact that his sinking health would not permit him to reach his distant homeland. So, the mighty conqueror lay prostrate and pale, helplessly waiting to breathe his last.

He called his generals and said, "I will depart from this world soon, I have three wishes, please carry them out without fail."

With tears flowing down their cheeks, the generals agreed to abide by their king's last wishes.

1) "My first desire is that", said Alexander, "My physicians alone must" carry my coffin."

2) After a pause, he continued, "Secondly, I desire that when my coffin is being carried to the grave, the path leading to the graveyard be strewn with gold, silver and precious stones which I have collected in my treasury".

3) The king felt exhausted after saying this. He took a minute's rest and continued. "My third and last wish is that both my hands be kept dangling out of my coffin".

The people who had gathered there wondered at the king's strange wishes. But no one dared bring the question to their lips.. Alexander's favorite general kissed his hand and pressed them to his heart.

"O king, we assure you that all your wishes will be fulfilled. But tell us why do you make such strange wishes?"

At this Alexander took a deep breath and said:"I would like the world to know of the three lessons I have just learnt. Lessons to be learnt from last 3 wishes of King Alexander...I want my physicians to carry my coffin because people should realize that no doctor on this earth can really cure any body. They are powerless and cannot save a person from the clutches of death. So let not people take life for granted.

The second wish of strewing gold, silver and other riches on the path to the graveyard is to tell People that not even a fraction of gold will come with me. I spent all my life Greed of Power, earning riches but cannot take anything with me. Let people realize that it is a sheer waste of time to chase wealth.

About my third wish of having my hands dangling out of the coffin, I wish people to know that I came empty handed into this world and empty handed I go out of this world".

With these words, the king closed his eyes.Soon he let death conquer him and breathed his last. . . .
    PS

Courtesy: Google

Sunburst, SCSusila, momsky and 3 others like this.
  3. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

Enjoyed reading ! Nice way of presenting the eternal, unanswered question :" What do we take with us when we go . "
    As we gather more and more , we enjoy less and less and only worry more and more .
    A film song comes to mind :
    " Thookkam vittru thane oru kattil vaanga aasai . Asai aasai! "
    ( Desire to buy a cot by selling good sleep )

Making firewood out of the furniture is a funny solution to the dilemma. But if Egyptian Pharoahs could take all their riches and servants with them to the grave to serve in afterlife , why not this too ! .....in Egypt , grave robbers took away a lot ; burnt furniture are safe from thieves ! :)

MaruthiRao likes this.
  4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Hariji,
    Highest philosophy told in a simple manner with a touch of humour . But the message is profound!
    Syamala

PushpavalliSrinivasan likes this.
  5. HariLakhera

True. Nothing will go with us. (Saman sau baras Ka, Kal ki Khabar nahi- accumulations for hundred years but not sure of tomorrow). I read Alexander's story.
    I have suggested some options for disposals. Each option seems to be loaded. The reason being we are not certain for long we are ging to live and hence we can't or do not dispose them for the sake of tomorrow which is not I our hands.

6. HariLakhera

I read somewhere Egyptians believed the dead will come to life one day and kept the dead bodies. That possibly explains why they carried their riches with them.

7. HariLakhera

Sometimes we realize the futility of all our possessions which were so dear to us. But if someone could ensure that all these would go with us, there will be little regret.

8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Let me try to answer the most important question here. What do we take with us when we go?
    We take all these sweet and bitter experiences attached to our soul when we finally leave this world.

For me, this worldly life is like staying in a hotel room.
    It depends on who we are (i mean, as per our affordability) we chose the hotels. Some get luxurious 5 or 7 star hotels, and that too in a foreign land, and for some it is just a tiny lodge.
    We get facilities, good food, wi-fi, spa and what not.
    For some, who stay in the lodge or even worst accommodations, the basic facilities like sleeping mat or a mosquito coil may be a luxury.
    As we use them, we feel the sense of satisfaction and the level of satisfaction vary depending on our experience here.
    As we leave the hotel or the lodge or whatever, we take nothing with us except those experiences. Be it sweet experience or bitter ones.

There are people who collect great experience even in tiny lodges. They meet like minded people there, the share love, and friendship, hence they may overlook the discomforts. Or they get used to these discomforts.
    On the other hand, some people live with bitterness and depression, combat loneliness while having all these luxuries in life. There is no guarantee that a 5 or 7 star hotel can give you all the comforts and happiness you need.
    If it is true, you won't hear such sad news in media like suicides or murder of high end people in such rooms. That happens, right?

So, according to me, what did we take with us, or what do we take when we go is not important. But how we live during our "stay" is what important.

9. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

To me life means....
    "The period between birth and death." How meaningful we live only matters. If we have good value system, fulfill our responsibilities, and a little bit compassionate nature and if possible make a little bit of difference in other's lives .....that is good enough. I am not craving for Moksha or salvation or rebirth (I am not sure of it) .
    Syamala

10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Sri Thyagarajan:

We are like a prescription refill with no expiry date written on it. We are aliens (green card holders) visiting this planet for a brief period to learn some lessons out of our experiences. We are not the citizens of this planet. We educate ourselves and become a literate but can never read what is written in our head. We build a lot of wealth and comfort to preserve and protect ourselves and our families but nothing and no one could help us to conquer death. We have fancy SUVs as possession but nothing could transport our possession with us.

Let us become a honey bee to extract the honey (lessons) from the flower rather than admiring the beauty (desires) of the flower. Let us have an attitude of the Lotus flower to be in the dirty water unaffected (detached) and open up on the sight of light (Consciousness). Let us endure the pain (ignorance) like a caterpillar to get out of the cocoon so that we can fly free (liberate). Let us learn from the river (life) to confine itself between the two banks (pleasure & pain) to reach the ocean (love).

Let us imagin our mind as our shadow and practice to have it behind us (Jeeva) so that we can experience the Sun (Universal Consciousness). If the shadow is in front of us, it means, we are walking away from the light.

If you have seen the devotees walking on the street singing in the month of December/January, you would have noticed that they sing the name of the Lord, play Cymbals with one hand and Thambura with another hand. They all are done to the same rhythm. The Cymbals represent pleasure and pain, Thambura represents our encryption, the Namasmarana represents a prayer to release from the encryption and walking represents life between the cycle of birth and death.

Viswa

MaruthiRao and Sunburst like this.