1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My baby screams while sleeping

Discussion in 'Infants' started by nelia, Jan 17, 2012.

1. nelia

nelia New IL'ite

I have a 7 months old boy, he crawls faster & bang his head some times, He screams while sleeping during afternoon & night nap around 2am or 1 am. He is shaking his hands and makes a loud noise with his eyes closed tight ,he could never hear what ever i say to calm him, he never opens his eyes for sometime.
    please help me.. it will take sometime to calm him, i need to turn lights on & bring him to realty to let him know he is alright, he sleeps next to me, we do have night lamp. i stay with him whole day & night. i am worried is he scary baby. is this common at infant stage. please help me out.

2. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

hi, may be he is having dreams.. what all activities do you engage him during day time? Did you see anything scary in the television recently while he was around?

Just play with him, talk to him a lot during day time, make him laugh, show him some pleasant videos and talk to him only good and fun things.

Am sure, it is just some dreams for him. Don't scold him if he behaves naughty. See if that helps.

3. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

We generally try to apply vibhoothi on our toddler's forehead before she goes to bed.

4. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dont worry.. This seems to be common.
    My son is close to 9 months. He also did the same thing every night roughly around 7-8 months.
    He would cry exactly the same way , we then pick him up turn on lights and make him open his eyes.. he would be so sleepy with droopy eyes but still he would cry until we wake him completely.

website says this is called night-terror in 8month of age. it will go away on its own.
    its also possible he is having tooth pain.

5. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Nelia, This happened to my DD whose 2 yrs old few weeks back.I'm really not sure abut the reason why she screamed in the night, but i too assumed that she might be dreaming about something scary. Then other day i found out shes afraid of dogs on the street.I took her walking and that same night she screamed again.So now, I make sure i tell her that dogs are friends.Its a lil better now.

But you LO is very small to follow all these.May be hes dreaming too.Try to swaddle wrap him or lie close to him.Please be calm with him.You can try some soothing music /lullabies before putting him to sleep rather than a book or watching TV if you are doing so_Observe if hes afraid of someone or a thing or toy in particular.May be avoiding that will help.
    Let us know if you need any more suggestion.

1 person likes this.
  6. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

Might sound wierd but what Im told is babies can remember(in their dream) their past janma until they turn one and thats the reason we often see them smiling n making faces while sleeping....since u cant apply vibuthi to a baby under 1 yr of age, my mom asked us to keep some neem leaves and Gods pic under the bed and also put slippers under the bed. We have these permanently under my LO's crib...

On the medical perspective, he could very well be teething...try applying some baby orajel n see if it helps. Make sure to discuss this with your sons paed n hope he grows out of this soon.

1 person likes this.
  7. WorkingWoman

WorkingWoman Gold IL'ite

You may try to make him feel cozy while sleeping as if some one is sleeping close to him. Put some folded bedsheets or pillows around him such that they press him slightly. Also make a long fold of a towel and put it across his chest such that it goes under his arms. In a way put a light weight on his chest while sleeping as if it is your hand on his chest. This way he will feel packed and safe. We did the same for my DD and it used to work.

I am not a beleiver of black thread etc things however I noticed really strange thing for my 3 yr old DD. I removed a black thread with a god's pendant from her neck. She used to wear it since birth. And beleive it or not within a day or 2 she started screaming at nights. It got reduced when we had put another black thread and locket.

2 people like this.
  8. navis

navis Gold IL'ite

dear nelia

from 8 to 10 months kids do get teething pain which might be a cause why not get a baby necklace which can is available in all pharmacy and tie around his neck. this baby lace will surely soothen his pain .

many parentsdo make their kids wear nappies ,diapers or tight understocks at night but medically its wrong. our body and mind relax at night ,when we sleep. u might have seen babies look taller and stout in their sleep. so even our anal areas do enlarge in this relaxing process. try to loosen his diapers or understocks before the time u said as ur baby cries.try for few days and see things may change . there might be possibility he might be struggling to urinate at night time

dear mummies
    as many said here when ur baby cries at night u all try to cansole them
    try this out.
    when ur sweet one cries at night without opening his eyes remember that his mind and ears are working at higher speed the more u loud ur voice the more they will cry as they cannot make difference between the real and dream world quickly. so gently kiss them on their forehead between both eyebrows , gently roll ur hands on their head and back and slowly wisper in their ears .hi baby mammma is near u dont cry . every thing will be normal within minutes.

3 people like this.
  9. nelia

nelia New IL'ite

Thank you ladies, I like all your comments for practical information and open thoughts.