1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My 17 month old daughter is becoming very stubborn

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by sanjuruby3, Dec 17, 2015.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

So here I am again with similar issues.

I am noticing behaviour change in my 17 old daughter. Its like she is taking advanage of our softness and weaknesses and learnt about it.

Every day she comes home and starts crying for anything. She will point her finger, cry and if not heard, louder. It keeps on going till midnight. Again she keeps waking up crying. Falls this side, switch that side but loud cries and pull blanket from me to not have it ( share).

She sleeps with me so we share blanket. She has smthing special attachment to that blanket's softness and also keeps putting sides of it in mouth, plays with it.
    Many times if she is mad at both of us, she will go to bedroom to that blanket.

Earlier we used to get scared a her midnight cries but now wegot use to. We still can not sleep.

She does not sleep in her crib. Moreover she moves so much, we are scared of putting in crib, she will hurt with edges or railing.

It keeps going till 5 am when she sleeps for 1-2 hour continously and again in morning she starts crying.

I have stopped worried completely about her meals. IF does not eat, when hungry and feel lik e it she will come back. But now this.

We can not sleep at day or night or weekends. In 17 months with her, I have grown older with rate of 10 times. Even on delivery day, my skin was okay and hair was less shabbier.

She wants something, she just wants it and will keep crying till she gets it.

And also she started hitting me. Now I show my anger of disapproval and sometimes slightly hit her or raise hand, she has little changed. She will get mad, hits me in her anger pang then immediately change attitude kissing me.

I do not know if its a phase or I need to take action. I have started ignoring her and I do not want this to be her personality when she grows up. One more thing, she is very happy outside and does not fight with any kid or people outside. To her daycare teacher or kids. If anyone is asks her to get away& let them play instead or push her, she will.

2. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@Sanjuruby3

I am thinking it is a phase, i am going through the same thing right now.
    My DS is becoming stubborn day by day i am trying to keep calm but some times burst out and let him cry for how log he wants. Once day is cried for more than 15 min because he didn't want to eat sambar rice , 3 days back i made that same thing and he enjoyed it:bang. Every day is different. At night he rotates 360 degrees, i am placing soft pillow down so that he won't get hurt if he falls. I have also observed that if he wants to pee and his bladder is full he will wake up and gets cranky. After I take him to restroom he pees and sleeps better for next 3-4 hours

3. sanjuruby3

Viki123 - Bit relief to hear ..
    Is your child pee/poo trained then? Mine will not even sit on potty these days. She will stiffen herself and keep jumping. Amazing..how they learn all these tricks. Just will not forget if something was refused to give, even after 15 mins of crying, she will go to same place :-((
    We put sofa cushions down on floor every night after we had 1 episode of fell down at night :-(( I am really afraid how I am going to handle her all alone in flight. These days she just hates me. She wants her dad all the time which is okay for me but he gets tired and becomes cranky many times.

4. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@Sanjuruby3
    After reading this i am sure it a phase my DS is also doing same things.
    He is not trained yet. He has a scheduled time for potty so we make him sit on his potty seat a that time. Other times he will do it in diaper.
    For pee he does that as soon as he wakes up so we take him to the bath tub and he does it there. He doesn't know how to tell us if he wants to pee or poo.

Now a day he will save his fav toy, pen, food (like cereals or bread) in a empty draw and will have it when he wants its. My DS learns all these from his daycare. Now his Dad is fav as he takes him out for cycle ride, out side, play, bath etc.

5. preesmiles

preesmiles Silver IL'ite

@sanjuruby3, when your LO wakes up at night, does she need you to rock, pat or feed her until she goes back to sleep or does she just cry no matter what? My guess is that she just has some sleep associations that needs to be taken away.
    If she is hitting you and you also raise your hand, I think it sends her the wrong message that hitting is ok. If she starts to hit, block her hands and say something like mama won't let you hit me and then acknowledge what she is feeling that's making her act out (is she upset, tired, cranky). So something like 'I know you are upset that I am not letting you do ------, but mama won't let you hit me', while you are blocking her hands.
    Do check out the author Janet Lansbury on Facebook and her blog. She has lots of resources on toddler discipline with specific scenarios. It's the method I use with my toddler and I think it works great. Biting, Hitting, Kicking And Other Challenging Toddler Behavior | Janet Lansbury
    P.S My son went through this phase where he ate next to nothing for 5-6 days and I thought of you and your daughter at that time. Was about to ask how things were going with her.

6. sanjuruby3

Thanks girls.
    Well my H does nothing more than I do. It is me who takes her out, shows her things around, explains,reads books to her. My H shows her tab/TV. But still she wants him, and infact runs after him when he puts her down to get ready or do something. I mean I am not jealous or anything. But I hate my H gets irritated many times and shouts as he gets tired he has to carry her for long time so she falls to sleep.

About waking up at night, I think she cries no matter what. Bascially she looks for blanket which is anways on her but she somehow wants it closer or sleep on pile on it. she she tries to gather it.

She hates me If I talk to her, "like baby what happened, mommy is here..u want blanket..blah.. ", touch her or anything at night. She will get louder.

Since now I started not paying much attention, she cries for few minutes, pull blanket and again go back to sleep, again wake up...and cycle goes on till 5 - 6 in the morning.

but there have been times we have to carry and again walk.

About her eating, also I have stopped pushing now. I have given up:cry: There is noting on this earth that she likes now. Even milk is only 2 times and she won't finish it.

7. mukti45

mukti45 New IL'ite

children goes through phase where the become stubborn. this phase will disappear in six months or get better.

8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I don't know how to break this to you: the mom-growing-older rate only increases when that 'months' time unit turns to 'years' :)

Cheer up. It does look like a phase. She is most likely going through a growth spurt, and also discovering lots of new things about the world, and testing boundaries with whomever she can.

One thing - it is good you are not worrying much about her eating, but don't completely rely on her eating when she is hungry. Continue to offer food and healthy snacks a few times in the day, even if she eats only few times.

For the flight, I would take along that blanket. Seriously. If needed, I would cut it to a smaller size.