1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My 10 month old kid refuse to eat solid food-Kindly help

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by jas12, Aug 8, 2012.

1. jas12

jas12 Senior IL'ite

hi il,

My DS is 10 months old.I used to BF him completely till six months .after 6 months i slowly started giving semi solid food which include raagi ,kayi podi (raw banana powder mixed in milk and water).

After 8 months started giving dal rice,carrot rice.initially he ate well but slowly he started hating solid foods completely.. i gave in the morning and afternoon or in the evening only twice a day gave him solid foods..but for the past one month he hates solid foods dont know what is the reason.

After reading the thread baby food in il i gave him apple and oats porridge, sakara pongal etc... (everything grinded well in the mixi). he vomits completely. whenever i try any new food he just vomits..he could'nt take it anymore..

what to do,...and moreover in the middle of my house hold work i skip his food and give BM..i am really worried of this .but couldn't manage both properly..if i sat with him to give food my house hold work gets delay and at the end of the day i am really tired.pls give your valuable comments

please note: he is entirely dependent on my feeding..

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2012

2. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

Did you try changing the texture of food to slightly mashed instead of pureed? Maybe, he wants to chew?
    You can try idli, pongal, upma, other vegetables like potatoes, sweet potatoes, peas, fruits like banana, pear, papaya.
    Try to see what he likes - maybe sweet flavored, or he is expecting a little bit of spice. Since he is 10 months old, you can add a little jeera powder, hing, garlic, ginger.
    Babies usually take time to eat. So we have to be patient and sit with them while they eat. Household work can wait.
    Check out the daily kids menu thread where we are sharing what we feed our kids everyday. You might get some ideas.

3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@jas12 I agree with karanu. Try changing the texture and see. Also introduce new spices.

Also at this stage making your DS eat should be your priority. While completing house hold work is also important, that can be done at any time of the day. But once you lose the meal time of DS, then you have lost one opportunity to feed him.

So for the time being focus on DS food.

4. jas12

jas12 Senior IL'ite

Dear karanu,ramya

I tried giving him small pieces of boiled carrot, bisciut but he doesnt know to chew .one he starts to vomit or he spit it out .that's why i make it a paste and give him..so that he can swallow. but i know it's high time to introduce chewing.

About my work..if i delay my work i could'nt even stand for a minute .my legs starts aching.i have knee pain too. everybody says due to calcium deficiency my knees are paining, because he drinks so much of BM. He is in correct weight infact slightly on the higher side.

i dont have issues in feeding but he doesnt eat any other food that's the main problem. if i give a bowl of rice instead of bm after half an hour he could'nt resist having my milk. He starts being cranky.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2012
  5. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jas12
    Please consult doctor for knee pain... It can be due to other reasons as well... As regards your Lo I guess he has sensed that once he starts eating solids you will withdraw BM feeds which gives akind of security... So you need to concentrate more on him in activities too... like start playing with him and feed him while playing... so he will feel you will be there for him no matter even after stopping BM...

6. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

jas12, if your son starts to cough or spit out the food pieces, then he is not yet ready to chew. You can try a little later and see. Meanwhile, keep giving him pureed foods and include some spices to see if he likes.

As for your knee pain, please check with your doctor. Since you are BFing, you should continue to have healthy diet. Take milk, curd, paneer regularly. Eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. BM production takes away the calcium from our bones, so focus on your diet as well.

Since your son is feeling a little insecure with eating solid foods, try having your meal along with him. I do that with my DD and she eats better when she see me eating from a plate. Get a high chair and put him next to the dining table. Both of you can eat together, talk and make meal times a fun activity.

7. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@jas12 I understand what you are saying.

1. Did you try giving him mashed pieces or just small pieces? Does he have teeth? Does he tried to chew with his gums?

2. Are you having enough milk? Take 3 glasses of milk everyday without fail. I hate milk but if I miss out 1 glass in a day I feel super guilty, After all it is also an investment for our health. If not try to take calcium supplements. Anyday calcium is better absorbed directly from consuming dairy products rather than supplements.

3. If he still has the usual amount of BM after eating solids, then the quantity of solids is not enough for him. I used to BF my DD after every solid feed. I could definitely see a difference in the amount she drank especially on days she ate well.

8. jas12

jas12 Senior IL'ite

I have to consult the doctor because knee is severe at times..i usually play with him while giving solids that's how he eat atleast 50 percent.

9. jas12

jas12 Senior IL'ite

karanu,

two teeth is erupting from last two weeks.i 'll mash it in hand then only will give him the pieces..and as you said i have to try to eat along with him...

10. jas12

jas12 Senior IL'ite

1.yes i always mash it in hand .only two week before two teeth started to erupt..yesterday and today i gave small pieces of biscuit he is trying to chew with his small teeth...but after chewing he spits it out.

2.yes i have enough milk i drink one glass of milk daily sometimes two and i add curd in my food too..i love curd.

3.he just drink for few min and starts palying..he just need to taste the milk..that's it..