1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary & me

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by amihere, Sep 8, 2009.

1. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

I wanted to visit home town for Onam and since it was not finalized we (both me and my sweet DH) happily forgot about booking the tickets:rant. My mom blocked tickets for bus to Kerala and we were informed that it was an 8.45PM bus which can get rid of the block at Muthanga Wildlife sanctuary (The NH through the wildlife sanctuary is closed from 9PM to 6AM to traffic).Thus on 3rd with DH I went to Kalasipalayam. At around 8.30 we came to know our bus is only at 10.30PM L For those who have been there will know what a punishment it is to spent 2hours at Kalasipalayam, for those who haven’t:”It is really hard to spent even 10minutes there especially during rainy season, road side is clogged with muddy pools with bus honking, stinking smell and all.” Finally by 10.15 bus came and happily we got into it. I am lucky in one matter; where ever I am I can sleep well without any disturbance. I was getting ready for my sleep and ha… the bus people were not going to let us go like that. They started playing the film “Minna minni kootam” –which in my opinion is not worth spending your valuable 2hours especially when the other option is to sleep peacefully. Since our seat was 3 & 4 no matter how much I liked it I was forced either to watch it or listen to the dialogues. My efforts to put a deaf ear to the film didn’t work L Slowly I drifted into sleep and when I opened my eyes , our bus was not moving and came to know that we are waiting it to be 6AM for the block to be removed and continue the journey. If the block hadn’t been there I would have reached my home sweet home by 6AM.( I know I know that my readers are grumbling what a selfish creature!!! FYI: The block was made mandatory for the free roaming of animals in the sanctuary in night time, after a bus hit a poor Elephant. But the fact that if it was not there would help me reach my home early morning makes me feel uneasy:bonk). Another 2hours we waited there to remove the traffic block created by the hurrying bus and lorry drivers. My mom was calling every 2hours and she was surprised to hear that am still at Muthanga (If I wasn’t married she would have doubted I have a BF thereJ LOL) Finally by 8AM the path was clear and the bus started moving. The view that awaited us at Wayanad/Thamarassery Churam was magnificent. It was covered with fog and was so beautiful. Thus by around 11AM we reached our home and spent lovely 3days at mine and DH’s.
    Now the journey back: We had tickets neither for bus nor for train. So even on Sunday we were not sure how we are going to go back. PILs and Mom were so tensed about it; where as DH and me were extra cool :coffee Two train tickets were booked (WL520!!!) and sent for EQ (Emergency Quota). KSRTC don’t accept reservation, had to take a coupon just half an hour before the bus and then board the bus with it. After waiting for an hour at railway station we came to know our tickets are not confirmed and are still in WL. So we left for KSRTC stand with a hope of getting two coupons. There were buses from 5.30PM but the condition of the stand and the huge crowd was nauseating. Finally the long stand in queue suffering the stinking smell from urinal paid us in the form of two tickets at the back end of the busK As we boarded the bus at 8PM we thanked god for the tickets and informed our parents that we have successfully managed to get ticketsJ The route to Bangalore was through Mananthavadi avoiding the sanctuary, the road was worse than ever.Long 12hours of journey with neck and disc breaking jumps, by 7.30AM we reached majestic. OMG! It was one of a kind of experience. I didnt knew a sanctuary can make such a profound effect in my journey home :bonk

2. PreethiArun66

PreethiArun66 Senior IL'ite

My cousin used to travel from bangalore to Kerala(Dont remember the place).. She used to be unhappy about the long journeys.. Now I can understand the reason from your post Ami.

You and your husband seem to be too cool(no return ticket and still didnt bother to worry). My Dh is Mr.Kool while I used to get tensed if everything is not planned properly.

3. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Dear Preethi, thanks for dropping in with the first fb.
    The reason for my coolness was if we dont get ticket I can stay some more days there(kidding).

4. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Amihere - - Adventurous trip indeed. Travelling without having booked any tickets on the day !! Jawani ka josh eh !! I can imagine what a state of panic my husb would have been in. Travelling by KSRTC is a trip on its own if you ask me. And not to mention the bus stand !! Back seats in that bus - oh god ! Glad that you both are back in one piece !!

5. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Ha ha dear,thanks for the comment:)
    Yeah I always dreaded travelling by KSRTC untill I reached my college.
    Not that I loved it then, I didnt have much option being in Trivandrum;)
    Still I manage to sleep well:)

6. jils

jils Bronze IL'ite

right ami, kalasipalaya..... passing through the place itself is a torture!!!!!
    truly , a journey that you would never forget about....................

7. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

8. mohammedriyas

mohammedriyas New IL'ite

Hi Ami,

I worked at Mysore few months back. I also had the same kind of experienced. I used to go home during all the weekends and for that I will be booking Rajahamsa or Irawath ticket few weeks before my journey. Once or twice I was also forced to go without tickets.... HOOOO....those are better nice not to tell... :(

9. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Rightly said and now its like the entire transport people are avoiding north of Kerala, no direct flights from Bangalore(it takes 12 hours to reach by flight since it's via Chennai), just one train that too from Yeshwantpur railway station(half an hour away from city) with train on just 2 days per week and now no bus at night too.