1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Music my passion 12 - Convincing Songs..

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Shanvy, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

[justify]

In my last blog about what HE would say, I took up making up cracks about some songs; I am a great believer. Ok fine, why am I referring to my previous blog, is it to give a justification, no, as I wrote about the funnier side of it., I was thinking what song would make him just leave everything and come and listen, or give away wishes as it is…in between my thought process I got a message from one of my friend about listening to the pitchai pathiram song from the new movie Naan Kadavul and also commenting about it. I have once heard this as a part of the Ramanamaalai. The lyrics are by Ilaiyaraaja himself, for his devotional album.
    The song brings Goosebumps to any person who understands Tamil. And for those who don’t, the song talks about going for alms with a bowl (here the bowl is the person’s body consisting of bones, blood, skin …) talk about total surrender…:bowdown

Madhu Balakrishnan,who has sung for the film, makes you think that you are also appealing in the same way, and even HE will be forced to think again, this version has more force and power than the one by ilayaraja.

Pichai Paathiram Yenthi Vanthen
    Aiyane En Aiyane
    Yaam Oru, Pichai Paathiram Yenthi Vanthen
    Aiyane En Aiyane
    Pindam Ennum, Elumbodu Sadhai Narambu
    Udhiramum Adangiya Udambu Enum
    Pichai Paathiram Yenthi Vanthen
    Aiyane En Aiyane…

Some songs definitely make you think of closing your eyes and joining in the prayers, the conviction that these songs will definitely reach God is what makes them best songs of prayer I suppose.

I remember the Humko Mann ki Shakti Dena, the song in Guddi, that was the first song by Vani Jayaram, really made you to join along. The same goes for hey maalik tere bande hain hum….

Have you heard Kannan Vandan inge Kannan Vandan from the movie “Ramu”, it makes you believe that kanan really has come…

When it comes to devotional, non-filmi, my favorite is KJ Yesudas’s Harivarasam, which is an eternal favorite that is going to remain even after the legend.. I have another of his songs, from a devi songs album in tamil and also in Malayalam. I like both the versions.
    Tamil goes likes…
    Amma amudhe en amma adharam nee inri yaarullar enakku… in raga sama..
    The Malayalam version..
    Oru nullu kumkumam adigam tharum amme….in raga sama
    Is it the force, power of their own conviction that come across these songs, or is it the lyrics, or is it a complete package in itself…
    what about Kurai onrum illai, by MSS, don’t we also nod…kurai onrum illai..
    What do you say, which song is in your list.?[/justify]

2. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Shanthi,

Wow !! I too feel the same, whey enjoying the songs like Kurai Onrum illai, Enna kavi Paadinaalum and Maadu meikkum kanne (by aruna sairam), En thavam shaidhanai ... many more in the list.

Amma endru azhaithaalum.... No words to explain, every time in tears.... !!

Will come back....

With love, Nice sharing with you...
    Gowri

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Gowri,

thanks for comingi in giving me your opinion. yes some songs make you really feel that way. all the songs you have listed are my favs..but sometimes, some songs whack you more isn't it.

do come back with your list...

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Dear friends,

I am not sure, if you can appreciate my commenting on the not so famous songs of KJY, without giving you a treat of the same.

I am uploading the tamil version i talked in my post,

amma en amma, do comment after listening...

5. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Dear Shan

I marvel again and again how well you are putting your thoughts together. Thank you.

Pitchai pathiram...I dont know, even though I have heard it, it didnt strike a chord like this time. may be age and experience has mellowed me a bit and making me humble?!...The yearning cannot be described in words.....
    Will come back with more songs after feeding Abhi .

6. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Shanti, Very lovely blog.sorry that i have missed reading many in this series.Will sit back to do them soon :) There are so many songs that make me feel like what you have told.
    When i hear Rangapura vihara...and in RG's voice, i feel like the Rama will just appear before me.
    Kaliyuga vardhan is another song which makes me feel so_Ofcourse MSS's kurai ondrum illai is there.Its a very reassuring song.
    Shanthi the list is really big..Let me stop here.
    I just want to say ditto to your words.."Some songs definitely make you think of closing your eyes and joining in the prayers, the conviction that these songs will definitely reach God is what makes them best songs of prayer I suppose."

A very lovely blog.

7. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Hai Shanvy

What a lovely blog.

Music has the power to melt hearts. Devotional songs are making our minds calm and it is a step to surrender ourselves to God.

I like all devotional songs. My Brother's daughter is a master in Carnatic song (Aged 17) - when she sings - Kaiyil kuzaludan kannan varugiran paar - she will sing it in such an emotion, that we can dream a little kannan coming towards us.

Another master piece of her is - Theeradha vilaiyattu pillai. My daughter also learns carnatic music. My favourite in her music is - Maru kelara - Oh ragava..

One more song of Ilayaraja & Gangai Amaran - malar pola malarginra manam vendum thaye - about Mother. If you hear it, you will feel that you are sitting in a garden and praying Mother.

Andal

8. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

ohhh Andal, now that you have talked about Maru kelara.ohh Raghava...I used to sing few lines of this song (Ragahv being my DH's name) if my DH does not respond to my questions..He will be engrossed in Hindu..

On a lighter note.....MS amma used to have a special song ..I forgot which one now.......which will contain her Husband's name(sadhasiva) and while she sings, she used to smile for using that word(name).

9. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Shanthi,
    My list starts with Maharajapuram's Murugan songs..including Vilaiyaada idhu naeramaa..
    Papanasam Sivan's 'Nee irangaa yenil pugal yaedhu.."
    Ilayarajaa's..'Janani, janani..jagam nee.agam nee.."
    I will come back..

sriniketan

10. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Shanthi...
    I am back .... with songs and the words in it, will definitely makes an impact :) .....

(1) Vetri ettu dhikkum ettil kottum murasu - Smt. D.K. Pattamal ( Patriotic song ....)
    (2) Devi neeya thunai
    (3)
    Chinnanchiru Kiliyae - Smt. M.L.Vasanthakumari
    (4) Mammava pattabi rama - Maharajapuram santhanam ( while hearing... I could imagine the scene before my eyes of Ramar Pattaabhishegam)

In my collection.... I love the songs of "Sound of Music" very very inspiring and the words are really touching and cute !!

Thanks shanthi...
    with love,
    Gowri