1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mushrooming Playschools!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by swethakalyanee, Mar 30, 2010.

1. swethakalyanee

swethakalyanee New IL'ite

In the Recent years, Playschools have boomed up like mushrooms everywhere. Almost every street in the city ends up with a Playschool or a Franchise of one such school ! Starting a Playschool has become a Plaything now.

Some say “Hey! It’s a great business now. I too want to start one! “I give the weirdest of my facial expressions to those who say that to me.

What’s your investment for this my dears? I ask

“Some bucks, few teachers & aayah’s, a colourfully painted place, Montessori toys,play gyms, a set curriculum for kids. Ofcourse …cool name and a catchy slogan, an appealing website for the Playschool”.

That’s all ?? !

????( They start thinking intensely in their minds to bring out few more valid points to start a play school )

Yes! Love, Passion, affection, patience to nurture the kids hardly appear in their list.

Startup playschools shower their offers and assert a lovable, educative environment for our kids, but when admissions start pouring in for them, they do forget even the basic and most important promised standards on Hygiene & Safety.

Initially their slogan will be ‘Child friendly..blah blah ‘, but over a period of time it would be just ‘Money friendly’ !

Playschools admit kids of age groups from 1.5 yrs till 5 yrs. When most of the older kids find something to learn n play, the worst affected ones are the toddlers who are below 2/ 2.5 yrs of age.

Some Playschools have a ‘Structured curriculum’ for kids who are below 2/2.5 yrs !! Wouldn’t a two year old baby want to run, explore & play all the time? They are to be set free, under careful supervision. But there are Playschools where the kids are safely confined to a place just to avoid accidents.

Teachers of most of the Playschools (esp. the so called ‘popular ‘ones) lack care and true affection to the kids. If there’s a long absentee child/ toddler due to sickness, how many teachers call up the parents and ask about the well being of their student kid??

Recently one of my close friend’s 2 yr old daughter was very unwell and couldn’t go to the playschool for many days.

The kid’s teacher one fine day rang her up and asked “Is you kid coming to school today, because there’s a Annual Day rehearsal today and there’s a class photo session ?!! My friend was truly expecting a “How’s your kid?” type of question first from the teacher! (To remember: At the time of admission their slogan was “We are parents of your kids in the school”)

End of the day, parents do regret the decision of putting their dear little ones in such schools. Playschools claim to prepare the kids for the regular schools. But how many sincerely follow that is a big question today !

One genuine advice to working moms/ moms of ‘super’ active toddlers. Please don’t fall prey just to the Big name, flashy ads, or websites of the playschools or the testimonial which appear in their sites. Also, please beware of some Playschools with International tags , as they develop unhealthy eating habits in kids, by offering them pizzas, chocolates, processed foods and drinks.

It’s best to step into a place where it is fun to learn n play, neat and where ‘Quality’ is given a Top priority!

2. jananirbk

jananirbk Senior IL'ite

Dear Swethakalyanee!

A very good need of the hour post, I feel. I am also planning to put my daughter in pre-kg this June as she is now 2-1/2 years old!! More than anything, I am concerned about her safety and hygiene and I am planning to put her in some reputed, near-by school, than making her to travel long distances!! Hope I will find a perfect school for my little princess soon where they care for her! :thumbsup

Regards, Janani Natarajan

3. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Swetha

Good one on the play schools. Yeah I often get to hear this from my friends too..moreover the fee these play schools charge for a kid is too much and finally what do the kids do at the end of day...play and sleep...

Might be word of mouth is more important than the ads that all these new play schools come up with.

Good thought...and good blog..helps lots of parents to analyze.

4. swethakalyanee

U r right Janani! By avoiding travel, you can safeguard her from the pollution n traffic! Kids these days get a lot of respiratory problems due to this polluted air. All the Best for ur lil princess...:)
    n Thnx for ur comment ...

5. swethakalyanee

Thanks for coming in Vidya and for your nice words about the blog.

Yes, some playschools are too expensive. Not sure if its worth the amount we pay. Word of mouth sure helps. But its always important what n how we parents feel about the place, as taste n choice differs from person to person. Also its better to put them after 2.5 yrs of age.