1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mummy’s day out!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Megalife, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Surely woman is a masterpiece creation of God (after sketching man as a rough draft!). She is the finest conjurer who copes up with work and family, doing justice to both! Stress, is indeed a force which creeps in over the course of time deforming body, mind and soul. When we are under stress life loses it cadence, and we feel emotionally drained.
    Managing a hectic career, an ever hungry DH, two energetic kids and a crazy maid, does get life out of control. I refused to neglect myself. I realized that I couldn't use the, “well, now I have kids so life will always be chaotic excuse!!!SO, this resolve inspired me to get on top of things. I had a summit with the House of Commons, initially there were protests. How can mom have her day out?.... spat the little one, good grief, she was such a chatter, chatter!!! Well despite all this the bill was passed and mommy was allowed her day out, provided she meets a few obligations (which was a long list)!It has to be once in a month said one, bake us a yummy cake in advance, get us gifts when you come home etc. etc. I agreed to all in silence for I was so desperate to have an entire day to pamper myself!
    For some reason as this day drew nearer there was a child-like enthusiasm within me! The weekend dawned, served them choice breakfast…in that way I would leave the house with three sets of smiles! The maid was verbally given all instructions for the lunch, wish she could read it would have made my task easier! I wore comfortable clothes and thongs, and went out into the bright gleaming morning to a day of retail therapy, food and fun. Every person from the escalator to mall seemed to be in joie de vivre, or was it the high spirits in me which made the day look so enthralling???
    Shopping!!! The word makes an unparalleled gleam in the eyes of every woman I have known. When I hear men being hypercritical of this trait of woman (which according to me makes her a true woman), I feel they are quarrelling with the creator for placing this pre-programmed gene in their sensuous feminine body. I personally find shopping therapeutic, I can go on for hours, may be weeks even, time permitted!!! The other wise lazy me gets charged with an alternate energy when I look at those life-size elegant mannequins! As I surf through the assortment of designer clothes, cosmetics, jewelry, foot wear and accessories, the price tags frown at me. I leave nonchalantly, which leaves the salesman pulling his hair out!...did he actually expect me to fish out AED 2000 (approx. USD 500, IRS 23,000 huh??) for a bag? I pass “Mug and Beans”, the aroma of the freshly brewed coffee permeates my system, and I walk across and take a seat as if in a trance! The coffee arrives with its whiff seeping through my lungs and finally warms my tickly tongue, contentment is the word!!! Now I am ready to start all over again, the caffeine is working magic! I hit the stores with the white and red boards, SALE!!!! ………. the very word SALE arouses my predatory instincts, I feel like an entrepreneur when I find things for bargain prices! The items may be totally useless for me, but who cares, IT’S A bargain!!! I buy…buy…buy….Oh…now I have completely lost it!!! .. this day was like sunshine melting a long winter's snow.
    A call from my DH, brings me back to my real world, ….”Do you know how long it has been?”….I could sense the irritation in the otherwise amused voice! A quick glance at my watch hits me with the realization, it has been 6.30 hours!!! I rush to the food court grabbing peacemakers for the kids, charge into Dunkin Donuts to snatch a pack for DH ( he’s a big baby who loves donuts!!!), bumb into people as I run for the car park! Puffing and panting, I drive like a lunatic down the road, still content that I have loaded enough surprises to pacify my darlings back home! I knew that I had gone overboard with my new found freedom but nevertheless enjoyed the ritual of shopping to its fullest!
    I am welcomed home to the stench of a charred “something”……..sniff…sniff I go. They are all over me and at the corner of the room I find my DH with a tray of semi-burnt pasta! They had sent the maid off for the day and thought of surprising me with the pasta…((what an avenue to express their love?)). The pasta was revolting, but there was so much of love put in there, I felt worshiped! We had a late lunch of donuts and burgers as the kids groped through the piles of shopping bags, screaming and shouting! Back to the mad house….Lord have mercy on me !!! When’s my next mall therapy…??

13 people like this.
  2. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

hahaha..i too feel shopping very refreshing though i dont shop much for myself,when i feel low..

lovely post..so you are waiting for your next day off.

3. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sushma
    Thnxx
    You live in the shoppers paradise ! Mall of Emirates being my particular fav. Try my mantra, you'll go back for more and more :)
    Mega

4. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mega
    That was a cute one. I read this half yesterday, had to leave half way, at the call of DH to go out for shopping with him, which has to be to the list one or 2 extra things you will see him starring at you, the trolley is full and those things are not in the list. I just walk ignoring telling might need it during the week:)
    From the time when DH and DS started mangaing on themself(had to give them lot of training:))
    I started having my mom's day out without fail, even if I don't buy anything I must go out once in a month I find some company or not.
    But before going I will get to hear, don't spend too much(you know from whom)
    See if you can find this and that and in which shop but don't buy next time when I go with papa will get it( this on who doesn't trust that I will get the best:))

1 person likes this.
  5. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mega
    I would surely love to be born again and again as the ‘rough draft’ to help God create more and more exquisite versions like you. Without me as a rough draft, even He can run out of ideas! I too used to cope with work and family doing justice to neither. But let me tell you that stress can result from justice going either way. And when stress takes its toll on our body, mind and soul, women look for palliatives through running amuk in shopping malls, men do the same through club hopping! As a result, while moms have their days out, men have their evenings out.

The ingredients that make our lives get out of control are the same for men and women except that ‘an ever hungry husband’ needs to be substituted with ‘an ever angry wife’ and ‘a crazy maid’ with ‘crazy staff’. I am merely pointing out all these similarities to empathize with your wanting a day all for yourself. The unbounded joy that you seem to derive from shopping is apparently making you take not a very benevolent view of men. I do agree that men do take a critical view of shopping crazy women but that never can reach a ‘hyper’ level. It can at best be ‘hypocritical’. It is justifiable too considering that men have to act as human trolleys while their wives shop like a person possessed by the spirit of someone who passed away in the midst of her maniacal shopping! Men do not quarrel with the Creator for placing this pre-programmed gene in women but merely chide Him for deviating too much from the original ‘rough draft’

Well, I do not want to seem to be complaining since I know that the working arrangement agreed upon between Adam and Eve has to be honoured. This is how life will be and I hate people calling it ‘the battle of the sexes’. What a bore it would have been if the Creator had made just a carbon copy of the rough draft!
    Sri

6 people like this.
  6. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mega...,
    Very nice snippet....

7. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dear SIR Cheeniya
    Your Fbs are outstanding to a point where my original post seems insipid!

If I were the queen of England I would have granted knighthood to Cheeniya, officially making SIR Cheeniya! I love your style!
    Mega

8. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi Vjbunny
    Your nickname reminds me of Easter eggs and bunny rabbits! Thanks for your thoughts!
    Mega

9. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi Aruna
    So my post was a pronouncement for a pleasurable time (for you atleast!) shopping! Since you left this post half unread before you left, I presume I must have ruled your thoughts while shopping! I've been blessed! Thank you.
    Mega

10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Megalife,

1 person likes this.