1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Moving To Usa For 3 Months. Please Help

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by sumalynux, Sep 29, 2016.

1. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

Hi all

Currently i am in relative house.. In Brookfield Connecticut...

In couple of weeks should be moving to Albany ny.. Husband already there...( In room given by employer)

His extension n contract both needs renewal in dec 2016...

So practically v r setting up house for only 3 months.. After that if it get's extended bonus... Its gonna be me husband and 14 months old baby...

V have started looking for apartment n used cars can anyone give me list of items to buy just for survival...

Pressure cooker ( have 2 cookers)
    Have few vessels n scoops

What else will i be needing just to run show, for 3 months...

Kitchen

Knife
    Vegetable grater n peeler
    Chapati rolling pin ( will roll on granite slab
    Frying pans n tava
    Grocery storing (will buy few wll Manage few in ziplock cover)
    Few bowl n Rubbermaid boxes for oven and refrigeration usage

Bedroom

Comforters or sleep bags

Bathroom

Bucket (have jug)
    Screen for tub

I will be doing idli dosa, but don't want to invest 100$ for Indian mixe or grinder for now.. planning to do idling in big frying pan in flat plates.. suggest a American blender/mixer ( around 30$ )which works approximately well to grind batter..

What else I wll be needing apart from grocery toiletries, n stuff..

Other tricks n tips to save money r welcome..

2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

relax..it is just three months..
    i know my aunt who is here for thirty years and still do not have a grinder:))

idli/dosa flour you will get in Indian stores but not great quality but edible
    else you can make wheat dosa etc..

try to get rental car for three months..cheaper

screens and local items like clothes /comfortors/vessels/infact all in all etc..go for burlington coat factory..cheap it is..

other than this even kids diapers go for target brand instead of pampers/huggie as it is cheaper and you get buy one get one free..

amazon.com also helps..

you are here for only 3 months.enjoy fall,plan your weekends..it is just like a vacation.go back home with fond memories dear

sumalynux likes this.
  3. sumalynux

Thanks

Can u give me/add to above list, which is mandatory to buy to run house here..

anika987 likes this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

basic utensils like cooker
    mixer is very good to have/needed..grinder also no need for three months
    since it's winter time,get some cozy outfits gloves,jackets,socks etc
    look for a home with preferably stove and not electric stove
    you may need some chairs
    dining table to eat food or if you plan to entertain some friends(you can get cheap second hand from craiglist)
    comforters and bed(but buy these first hand otherwise bug bed problem will be there..dont buy used)
    Rest honestly,all you need is credit card/money and you are good to go:)everything u get here..
    try to hunt for apartments near grocery/stores to make life easier.
    for kid stroller might be needed if you plan to take trips
    car seat

madras2018 and sumalynux like this.
  5. sumalynux

6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

If you need few basic pieces of furniture look in thrift shops. They will be cheap.
    You can get cheap comforters, sleeping bags and bed linens at Walmart. Also some basic utensils. Anika has given a good list. You can get a basic American type blender for around $30. But if you are able to go to the Indian store you can buy ready made idli and dosa batter.

sumalynux likes this.
  7. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Only for 3 months ,

Usually rent is for 1 year agreement. So please start looking for apartments from now itself , it may take long time to get. Check for sub- leases. Check sulekha website for small period rents or any home renting their basements with kitchen.

madras2018 likes this.
  8. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

@sumalynux very basic question - why are you even going there for 3 months ? Why not go until you have confirmation of his extension ?

Reason
    1. Most apartments have a 1 yr or 6m lease. Month to month rent is generally much more expensive. Breaking lease comes with penalty.
    2. Purchasing everything needed - right from tea spoon, furniture to car - can actually be quite stressful. You will likely need 3-4 weeks to purchase everything and settle down. Then you will only have abt 8 weeks before you start to sell all items and pack up.
    3. Pack up to relocate to india is also stressful. Dont underestimate either setting up or packing up efforts. Seriously !
    4. In the midst of all this there is a baby to take care of and ensure he doesnt fall sick.
    All this trouble for what ? To sleep on a sleeping bag/comforter, and overall make do with less than comfortable living ?

All in all in my opinion it's so not worth the hassle if you have to plan only a 3month stay. I might have recommended differently if your husband's company is providing fully furnished accomodation. I would recommend waiting in India or at your relative's place in u.s to see if the extension materialises. Plan the move only if there is atleast 6months stay guaranteed.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    anika987 likes this.
  9. sumalynux

am not going.. I am already in usa..
    Thanks for your concern.. I have come here for personal reasons.. And we have already got monthly rental apartment..

We r not worried about disposing basic stuff which we purchased for 3 months use..

Would appreciate if u have any items to add I list.. Or tips on where to buy for good deals.. Thanks for Ur time

10. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

I am aware abt your present location. My advice is still the same.

Anyway there are no granite countertops like in india. It is laminate or some such variety usually in apartments.

Youll need hangers, iron and ironing board, plates n cups (eating utsensils), inflatable bed. @anika987 has already covered much of what is needed. Mine is supplementary to that.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    sumalynux likes this.