moving to south austin

Discussion in 'Indians in Austin' started by archeers, May 28, 2015.

1. archeers

archeers New IL'ite

I would like to get a review of the Circle C area . Does it have a good Indian community . The schools seem highly rated . If you have kids attending Clayton Elementary , I would like to talk to you about your experience .
    Are there any other places in South Austin that you would recommend?

2. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

I moved to the Bay Area after living in South Austin for 7 years. Circle C is a good area, with a lot of Indians. SouthWest Austin communities like Covered Bridge, Lantana, Belterra, Alta Mira etc are also communities that you will find have a lot of Indians.

3. archeers

archeers New IL'ite

Thanks for the quick reply . From talking to people , AISD is not highly regarded as RR or Eanes. But I found that AISD has excellent magnet schools like LASA . How does LASA compare with Westwood HS or WestLake HS

4. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

You are right. While I am not too sure about the schools around that area (did not have a child when we bought the house, moved out before the kids were old enough for school). But the schools for where I used to live were Oakhill Elem, Small Middle and Bowie High. They are 9, 8 and 9 API respectively.

OakHill used to be at 8 API, so some of my neighbors moved to Eanes ISD, but I guess many are enrolling in OakHill now, hoping that eventually Small will be upgraded to 9.

I am so sorry, I have no idea on LASA!

5. new2austin

new2austin New IL'ite

LASA is excellent. There is an application process to follow

6. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello @archeers,

Like you mentioned, LASA is a magnet school i.e. competitive admission. Not everyone can get in, it requires a bit of competitive nature and broad academic skills. They take only the top 10% students in AISD. So obviously have great results and is the top HS in Austin.

Unlike Westwood HS and Westlake HS, they are fed by the Middle schools in RRISD and Eanes ISD. Both are in great school districts. Westwood HS is also tied with Eanes and is the 2nd best HS.