Moving to Singapore - need suggestions

Discussion in 'New to Singapore' started by kvds, Jan 24, 2011.

1. kvds

kvds New IL'ite

Hi IL friends,

We ( Me , My hsbnd and 10 month old baby) will be moving to Singapore in 2 months. My hsbnd's office is near Changi International Airport.
    I have a few querries and would appreciate ur suggestions n' quick, prompt replies:

1) The best residential area nearby where there are good number of Indians.
    2) Whether there is any play school nearby.
    3) Approx rent for houses in that area.
    4) Whether there is any website wherein Singaporians advertise their used or new things for sale.
    5) Procedure to aplly for dependent visa and hw long it takes.

Thanks.

2. brcharanya

brcharanya New IL'ite

Hi KVDS,

I will try to answer your query upto my knowledge.

1)The best residential area nearby where there are good number of Indians.

Nearby residential area to Changi Business park,you can opt for Tampines or Tanah Merah.Indians are scattered and living in all the areas,so you ll be having no problem staying in these two places(since these are good residential areas nearby to CBP).Shopping place for Indians,initially prefer Mustafa(all in one place)in Little India,later if you come and get used to the places,you can find more Indian shops here and there.

2) Whether there is any play school nearby.

I have less idea about the best option of the play school...But there are large number of play schools available in these areas to go...Other ILites may help you to choose the best,I believe

3) Approx rent for houses in that area.

2BHK----1800SGDp.m
    3BHK----2500SGD p.m

4) Whether there is any website wherein Singaporians advertise their used or new things for sale.

Craiglist Singapore
    SGadsonline

5) Procedure to aplly for dependent visa and hw long it takes.

If your DH is going to come by Employment pass here,Your husband company will apply the dependant pass for you and your baby.But intially,you can come by SVP(Social Visit Pass) to Singapore and stay.By the time,the employer of your husband will apply for the dependant pass.Time duration will vary case by case(mostly 4 to 6 weeks).Refer

MOM(ministry of Manpower),ICA(Immingration & Check Points Authority) website for more details.

For EP and EP's dependant pass,you can refer MOM website more than ICA.Anyways,If you find time,refer both the websites.

This is far as up to my knowledge.

Regards,
    Charanya

3. monica1984

monica1984 New IL'ite

Hi
    Moving to singapore could someone answer me the following queries pls
    1.Ill b in need of a fulltime maid..how much does it cost you per month?
    2.Are the procedures easy?
    3.Indian maid or fillipino or other race..? I get mixed opinions sometimes? Pls suggest
    4.ill b staying near hougang as we plan to put my daughter in dps ..anyone know daycare facility there like after school daycare
    5.Is it possible to get maid who doesnt stay with u but jus works like pick mu daughter after 1 pm n stays until 7 pm

4. monica1984

monica1984 New IL'ite

@AkilaMani pls help

5. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Monica,

Welcome to SG :)

For full-time maid, my guess would be around $800. This is what I have heard, could be more or less depending on the agency I think.

The procedures are fairly easy. You can contact a register maid agency, they will show you profiles and you can choose, interview, and select.

Race - that totally depends on what you want. Other race if you want more privacy and are not particular about cooking skills. They may not understand much English, so initially communication could be a little difficult.

For daycare facilities, please check STDirectory or do a general google search, you will find many. Please read the reviews for them before deciding.

Part-time maid - I know that many agencies provide part-time maids for house work, but the maid may not be the same person everyday. I don't know if they can provide the service that you are asking, may be they do, I am not sure. Please check with the agency.

If there is anything else, do ask.

Take care and best wishes.

6. monica1984

monica1984 New IL'ite

7. monica1984

monica1984 New IL'ite

Thank you so much