Moving to Singapore? Housing/Utility/Transport/Cost of Living etc!

Discussion in 'New to Singapore' started by Vinodha, May 24, 2007.

1. vkrithika1

vkrithika1 Gold IL'ite

Re: Moving to Sinagpore

Hi,

Welcome to Sunny Singapore.

Singapore is a hot City. It rains Most days, but even then it will be hot all the time and very humid.Very small city, with good friends circle, life is very good here.A home away from home.

For a family of four the basic exps will be

1.Rental, if you prefer to take a condo, S$2300 plus. If you prefer Hdb, for around S$1500 to S$1800 you will get a decent flat.

2.Schooling-Again Local schools are much much cheaper compared to International schools. Indian international schools will cost 1000 plus per month per child. other international schools are expensive than indian schools.

3.Groceries- for a family of four S$800 should be Ok. This budget will be less or more depending on the needs like fresh milk vs amul milk etc etc.

4.Utilities(including Gas) - Around S$150 to 180,if Ac and microwave used on a daily basis.

5.Public Transport is more preferable and convenient, as use of private Cars are expensive(unlike US).

6.All Items are very expensive as everything is imported.

7.Maids-Partime around S$350 to S$450 for 2 hours a day(daily)
    Full time maids -S$350 plus levy of S$265 to Govt.

8.If you are planning to relocate after july, for this year, you will be considered non resident( 180 days rule) and tax rate will be 15%.
    otherwise, slab rates are applied.You can refer to Iras.gov.sg

Hope this helps.

2. shrutidunwoody

shrutidunwoody Bronze IL'ite

Re: Moving to Sinagpore

Hello Jwalitha,
    We are also planning for a move from US to Singapore, just to be close to India. My husband has been in the US since 8 years and I have been here for 3 years now. A question to you and all other ladies, how does it go regarding finding jobs in singapore? most of the job sites that we checked they were asking for singapore PR. My husband is currently working as a Business Analyst in a Fortune 500 IT firm. Any help in this matter would be highly appreciated. Basically looking for a starting point. Thanks.

3. RSL24

RSL24 New IL'ite

Moving to singapore

Hello ladies,

I got a job offer from s'pore,office around Outram road. Can anyone tell me about the rental rate for apartments (3 bedroom)in that area? Are there good kindergartens in that area?what is the fees there?Do they also offer day care?Is it better to stay in Outram area or move elsewhere...?
    Do give my your advice and yes..mostly how much would the monthly expenses come up to?

Thank you

R

4. rush2kanmani

rush2kanmani New IL'ite

hi ladies, soon i m going to travell between chennai to singapore in tiger airways along with my 2 yr. old son.
    do any one of know how will be the service in tiger airways.
    what is max. weight allowed for check in and hand luccage. whether handbags are allowed along with hand luccage, laptop bag. if yes how much we can carry in handbags

so please ladies throw saome light on these.

5. anithapratap

anithapratap New IL'ite

hi, Tiger airways is budget airways. You are allowed to carry only 5-7Kg of hand baggage. On top of every check-in luggage you would need to pay. Also one more important thing you cannot carry any food stuff for your kid (including water) you have to purchase on the aircraft.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  6. rush2kanmani

rush2kanmani New IL'ite

Re: Moving to singapore

Hello singapore ladies,

Like Rsl24, i am also moving to singapore along with my family. currently we decided to stay in sherangoon as my hubby works here, but want to find an apartment within 2 months. please tell me girls whether sherangoon is best place for stay. what about the schools in sherangoon whether daycare is available.

also if any girls know the availability of home in ur apartment, please dont forget to sharewith me.

thanks in advance
    kanmani.

7. kothari

kothari New IL'ite

Planning to settle in Singapore

Dear all,
    I am new member..I am working in IT industry from past 10 years..My husband also working in IT industry..due to our jobs we had travelled a lot..but now planning to permanently settle in Singapore..Currently I am in India…got offer from IT Company in Singapore…
    Let me know your views?
    It will be great help to me ..Before taking any final decision.

8. coolguy5481

coolguy5481 New IL'ite

Share your experience who recently moved from USA to Singapore

Hi, I am Varsha. I was in Santa Clara, California for 4 years. We came here in June 2010. I have one kid. He is 3 years old.
    I am starting this thread to share your experiences on all topics like finding School/Daycare, settling here in Singapore, finding Apartment, finding a good real estate agent, finding a made, how to find a Job, Medical facilities, places to shop...... Feel free to add more topics to discuss.
    I will share my experience here. We came here in a peak hot season. Even though all year around weather is considered same. May & June are much hotter than rest of the year. So for us transition was very difficult. Second is getting used to local transportation minus Car. Here in Singapore most of places they don't accept Credit Cards including NTUC FairPrice. You either need a Cash or NETS card. Most of the Indian grocery stores, restaurants we visited didn't accept credit cards so you have to rely on Cash specially when you are moving to Singapore & you don't have a set up here.
    I will update some later

9. khushboo27

khushboo27 New IL'ite

Re: Moving to singapore

since you are moving into singapore let me tell you something.,
    the moment somebody comes to singapore is the first thing they do is start speaking bad about india.
    i hope you will not indulge and shame our country.

10. sweramsan

sweramsan New IL'ite

Re: Share your experience who recently moved from USA to Singapore

Hi

We are planning to move to Singapore. I am worried about the cost of living aspect there. I need SGD quote. please help.

1. Rent in a High end 2br HDB?sgd 3000
    2. School fees for 4 year old in Indian school? sgd1000
    3. Household groceries for 3 ppl & cable internet phone? sgd1500
    4. entertainment- outside food/ movies/ recreation - sgd 500
    5. Money for living expenses to parents- sgd 2000

should i set aside any sum towards commute or can be covered in entertainment expenses of sgd500?

totals: 8000

if i have a net salary of sgd 7500 after tax and pf deductions is it enough for a comfortable living? have i overstated/ understated anything here? will be on pr status after the 1st year. moving in Sep 2010.

Swetha