1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to New Jersey - Discussion Lounge

Discussion in 'Indians in Edison' started by AnjuMahendran, Apr 6, 2007.

1. iracks

iracks New IL'ite

Hi Friends:

We are planning to move to Hackensack/ Bergen county in NJ as my husband's office will be closer to these areas.
    a) Which of these areas is safe and has Indian Community? Basically, we are looking to stay in and around Indian Community.
    b) My budget is around 1000 - 1300$.

Request you guys to let me know apartment name + area name.

Please advise !

Thanks very much
    Dp

2. firefly

firefly New IL'ite

Hi,

I am new here and will be moving to NJ in couple of weeks from India. Need help narrowing down the area and school. Please provide your inputs -

1. Rental - Is Chatham, Summit, Shorthills, SPringfield, New Providence - I see good greatschools rating for this. But how is it for Indians to stay? Read about snobbish neighbourhood. Anyone staying around? Various websites cite them as safe with respect to numbers, but needed your opinion about the comfort level. Thanks for your inputs.

2. School - Howz Bayberry Elementary School(Watchung), Christopher Academy(Scotchplains), Apple Montessori(Edison), The Montessori Children's Academy(Chatham)? Anyones kids studying in any of these schools? My daughter is 3.5yrs old now. She is super social and hope we put her in the right school which appreciates her talents. Please provide your inputs!

Thanks,
    Meena

3. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Hello all,

We would be moving to Edison, NJ soon. Should I buy 110V mixie here and come or is it OK if I can come there and buy??? Some people are asking me to buy here and take it to US, but some are saying other wise. Its so confusing. I dont wanna carry unneccesary items if I can get the same brand there in US, but is the price same or more in US? Pls help...

What other kitchen appliances are a must to bring or what else can I buy there itself???

4. angel83

angel83 New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

We will be moving to NJ in Mar. My husband's office will be in Whippany. I will be hunting for a job around when I land there. Which areas are good to stay around Whippany. We have a 3 year old daughter. Also which areas have good pre schools / daycares.
    I also would require a cook who will cook north indian dishes. Can somebody help me out with the cost for the same (approx).

Thanks!

Priyanka

5. happy22

happy22 New IL'ite

Hi,

I'm Looking for apartment in New Jersey. Can anyone suggest which is the good & safe place to stay.

I have shortlisted some places like Bayonne, Edison, Iselin & Jersey city.

Need help on very urgent bases.

6. happy22

happy22 New IL'ite

Hi Everyone,

I'm Looking for apartment in New Jersey. Last week only me & my husband moved to new jersey. currently we are staying in Hotel & next week we want to move to new apartment. so can anyone suggest the best place to live in NJ.. where we have more indian community.

I have shortlisted some places like Bayonne, Edison & Jersey city, Because my husband office is near Exchange Place looking for near by location only.

Please Advice

Thank You
    Harshada

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  7. sunsim3

sunsim3 Senior IL'ite

there are many discusiion on this topic a year back search apartment rent guide nj , apartments in nj etc you will get threads on this topic.

8. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Since your DH office is in Exchange Place , jersey city would be best. If you can afford (2000 for 1 BHK and 1500 for studio), you can live close to exchange place (that is called grove street). Since exchange place has good connection with Path, you can also live in Journal Square (it is called mini India). I don't think Edision will be good choice as Jersey City and edision are not connected through direct train. And car parking is out of question in exchange place.

Also, Bayonne is not considered as safe city to live.

9. happy22

happy22 New IL'ite

Ok...we have seen some apartment in jersey city but didn't find safe to live. so now my husband is more keen for edison so is their any apartment that would be suggested in edison.

In edison Blueberry village, Greenfeild village, Durham Woods, Edison Village, Edison Woods & Oxford Arms which is the good one to go for.

Thank You
    Harshada

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  10. iracks

iracks New IL'ite

Hi Gals:

We recently moved to New Jersey from India and currently staying in hotel. My husband works in Little Falls. Need information on good apartments where we have telugu community.

Please help.

Thanks, DP