moving to malaysia

Discussion in 'New to KL' started by ashwini999, Apr 7, 2010.

1. ashwini999

ashwini999 Senior IL'ite

i got a job in malaysia with a monthly salary of 10k. is it enough for a family of two....

can we save it..
    how is living expense and life in malaysia.

2. umathiru

umathiru Silver IL'ite

Hi Ashwini,

Welcome to Malaysia.
    You salary count in USD 10K - here its RM 32,000 its consider quite a beautiful life in Malaysia.
    Bout the food is cheap here.
    Also if you want to buy grocery please buy in
    hypermarket/wholesale its consider cheap also.

3. Rainy

Rainy New IL'ite

Hey hi ashwini ,

wlcome to kl ...:thumbsupand the expenses for a family will be max 3000 rm and depends on ur lifestyle . be cool its a beautiful place :)

4. geevee68

geevee68 Platinum IL'ite

Malaysia is a lovely place;my sister lives there.Food is cheap and you get so much variety.Try shopping when there is a sale and that happens throughout the year in different malls.Happy shifting.

5. vsveena16

vsveena16 New IL'ite

Hello Ashwini and welcome to Malaysia,

I assume that you will be based in Kuala Lumpur..USD10,000? If so, then this translates to more than RM30,000. The cost of living in K.L. is quite high but should be very affordable with your monthly salary and the size of the family.
    Life in Malaysia is great...welcome to paradise..:):thumbsup

6. shahreza90

shahreza90 New IL'ite

Rm30 000, people here would consider you to be quite rich. even RM10 000 is a lot here. Malaysia is a 'near to be developed' country, but still living cost here is quite cheap among many Asian countries.

7. bharatisudhir

bharatisudhir New IL'ite

Hi ILites,

I am a new joinee to this wonderful forum. I have been going through the discussion forums esp on living in Malaysia since I have to consider an oppty in this country. A wealth of information is already here. However did not see much of info on the society, schooling, extra curricular activities for kids, etc. Hence my post here, with a few queries that will help me make a decision about the oppty -

1) Being an Islamic country, what is the attitude towards women - working - since I am planning to move first with my 9 yr old daughter. Is it safe for just a mother and child to be by themselves and move around freely i.e. go to malls, restaurants, movies, etc

2) Is the society a cosmopolitan one or leaning towards Islam? Is it comparable to S'pore society? What is the mix of international population - what ethnic races are present in KL?

3) Schooling - Did not see much written abt schools in KL either here or elsewhere. However heard that it could be a challenge since there are only a few good intl. schools. If anyone has children in the 9-10 yr old age group, I would specially like to hear about your views on the quality of education at Malaysia and the ease with which the children have gotten back in to the Indian system once back here. This is really important for me.

4) Extra curricular activities for children - types of activities and affordability

5) Domestic Helps - Are cooks n maids easily avbl from registered agencies? What should one estimate towards costs for them? Any suggestions or experiences on this front are very welcome.

Apologies for the really long list of queries. However the answers to these will help me take a decision on the movement. So look forward to your helps in getting the above information. Thank you all in advance. Really appreciate you taking time for this.

8. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Bharathi.. That was a very nice post! you clearly brought out the topics that are not dicussed very often..

Attitude towards women - they are treated as "Equals" in all respects! There is nothing different to us, because the country's practices a different religion. Of course, Holidays to our religious festivals are scarce..

SAFETY: is a big question.. since there are snatch-theives all over..

My Advice: Do not wear any gold/diamond/ jewellery.. Go for the artificial ones.
    If anybody snatches your handbag or purse, just let it go, rather than fight.
    Carry very less money with you at all times. Use ATM/ Credit Cards.
    Driving is a MUST here! it is easier if you drive rather than relying on public transport.

Otherwise, you can move around freely and have all the fun. No harm. Just be wise and don't carry expensive things.

9. preethiitech

yes it is Cosmopoiltan! embraces its multicultural demographics.. The Nation is Islamic; but protects the religious belief of all other practices.

Not comparable to Singapore.. since it is multi-religious nation.

Ethnic races in Malaysia are Malays, Chinese, Indian. These people have been here for over a long time and all of them are Malaysian Citizens.

Of course, there are lot of foreigners from India, Africa, Middle East, Japan, and EU. and a lot of tourists everywhere.

10. preethiitech

There are a lot of International schools here. Check this link.

If you would like to go back to Indian system, then the ONLY choice is Global Indian International School in KL. This follows the same Indian CBSE Syllabus.

However, the other International schools are also of good cadre, and offers quality education.

The only 'glitch' is the School Fees is HIgh, compared to Public schools here which offer education at negligible cost. But the public schools medium of education is in 'Malay'.