Moving to London from Singapore

Discussion in 'Indians in London' started by nads, Nov 20, 2010.

1. nads

nads New IL'ite

Hi Everyone,

I am lucky to find this forum as I believe it will address all my queries. My husband has got a job in London and will be working in Canary Wharf area. He is a senior executive and will be handsomely paid. I am also a Hindi teacher, teaching in Singapore schools for last 5 years.
    We have two kids - 8 & 5.

I need advice on following
    1. Nice area for residence and school. We intend to send our kids to govt schools. I have heard that Wimbledon & Greenwich are nice place but not sure whether there are many Indians. I'd like to make lot of friends as well. Pls advice recommended areas near good primary schools.
    2. Job - Any job for me as a Hindi teacher or tutor. I am ok for other opportunities as well. FYI, I am an excellent cook and try making new recipes.

Appreciate your early reply.

Thanks,

Nidhi

2. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Dear Nidhi,

Welcome to IL :welcome

Greenwich and Wimbledon are both nice residential areas.Since Greenwich is closer to Canary Wharf, you might want to check it out first.

I hope some other iLites pitch in for schools in London.

Check out the classified section in gumtree (United Kingdom jobs, cars, property, free classifieds and more - Gumtree.com) site to know about the opportunities and certifications needed for a Hindi tutor to teach in London.I am sure you would find something to keep you busy.:thumbsup

Wow , great cook ! I am gonna swoop at your place soon and learn some nice delicacies then, beware :crazy.

3. nads

nads New IL'ite

Thanks for info Sabitha. You are most welcome. Is there any recommendation for good living area near to good primary schools. I am very concerned for my kids education and it seems this is one area where I have not been able to find much info.

Also advice whether it is recommended to live in North West London or South i.e. Lewisham, Greenwich area. Looking forward to your reply.

4. nads

nads New IL'ite

Hi folks - I am in London now and finalized a house at Bexley. It seems to be a very nice place with excellent state schools. Any indian ladies living in that area - Sidcup, new Eltham, Bexleyheath, Bexley?

5. sing123

sing123 New IL'ite

Hi Nidhi!

I am kind of in the same boat as you are. We moved from the US to Singapore and looks like we are on our way to London soon. My child will be five years soon and I am in the process of finding admission in a very good state school for him:drowning Please let me know how you went about the process and how the schools determine whether the flat/ house you live in falls under their zone? Its all so confusing to me:) Thanks n have a good day!

6. sujathaj

sujathaj New IL'ite

Hi sing

have you already moved to london and settled there by now. we are planning to move to london soon from US.
    If there any kind of tips you can give to me?

7. sujathaj

sujathaj New IL'ite

HI Nidhi,

Hope you have settled down in London by now. We are planning to move to London soon.
    My Husband's office is also on Canary Wharf. Is it safe place to live. on what range we can expect single BR apartments in canary wharf.
    If you dont mind, Can you please send me a private message. I dont have enough post to message you :(

Suja

8. Roshni0606

Roshni0606 New IL'ite

I use a great Indian Vegetarian cook - Her name is Hina Kotari - contact number - 07825 46477. She cooks everything from punjabi, gujrati etc. She can also be a great baby-sitter if required. Very trust-worthy and fun

9. Trishna83

Trishna83 New IL'ite

Hi Nads,

I have been in london for 8 year now, but recently moved to sidcup.. really want to know more abt the area .. please advice on grocery shops for indian food and beauty parlors for threading.. its very diff here as i come from east london where all these things were literally at doorstep :( hope to hear from you ladies here in bexley.

10. Vid2014

Vid2014 New IL'ite

Hi All of you ,

we have recently moved to london from singapore. Settle down in Sidcup area and my daughter in Year 5 . I would like to make new friends here .