moving to germany from chennai-guidance needed

Discussion in 'Indians in Germany' started by AnushaRamesh, Apr 16, 2009.

1. snaray

snaray New IL'ite

Hi Anusha

Welcome to Germany. We are originally from Chennai but have lived most of our life in the US and now have moved to Dusseldorf 2 months back. So I am in the same/similar boat as you!! We have loved our stay so far. Indian groceries are available quite a bit here, Dusseldorf has about 3-4 stores selling Asian/Pakistani/Indian groceries. I am sure Berlin has plenty more. There are some products that are just not available but in that case you can always request for it and they try and get it for you.

I wish there was an online grocery store where you could order Indian stuff from - any of you ladies are aware of such portals? If you don't happen to have a vehicle you need to lug the rice & daal in the train which is such a pain! :rant

We are in a temp housing and moving to a permanent place at the end of the month. And I can tell you that I cannot wait to use my mixie, dosai grinder & chappati rolling pin!!! :)
    and thank god I got my pressure cooker with me - they are available in Kaufhof etc but they are a little different.

I think by learning the language before you arrive here is well worth it. It will definitely will come of use!! I haven't enrolled in lang classes yet but am so ready for it!!

Good Luck!
    Shobana

2. AnushaRamesh

AnushaRamesh New IL'ite

Hello everybody!
    The long gap in my reply is because it took me so much time to actually get my visa and come to Germany. I was planning to apply in June 2009. it got delayed by 1 and a half months because people recommended that I have my A1 level certificate from Goethe institute before applying. My application got rejected the first time because they said my husband has to stay in Germany for at least a year in order to be eligible for a dependent visa. We got his tenure in Germany extended and luckily got the visa in October. Like Sabitha said, I thought I shoud write about my experiences- and things I learnt about the hard way.
    1) the advise given to me regarding cooker,rice cooker, idli cooker, mixie etc was very useful. I am enjoying the benefit of having brought these now.
    2) The embassy recognizes the certificate offerd by Goethe institute only. So I took a 2 months course over there –traveling to the place, leaving my baby under someone’s care for 4 hrs etc. but what I learnt at the time of exam is that- any1 can write the exam regardless of where they learnt. Many people who learnt in small schools and even some who learnt on their own were good and did pass the exam. However, doing the course in Goethe institute makes the exam a lot more easy.
    3) We came by Lufthansa airlines which is baby friendy regarding the seating they give, food etc. The timing is also very comfortable. The play area inside the airport is clean and interesting- my son played till 1.30 in the night and slept half an hour after the flight took off. He woke up almost by the end of the journey which made things very easy for us.
    4) We came in Autumn and not in summer as expeted. But still I can assure you that, coming from a place like India that has only varying degrees of summer all round the year, Autumn with its drastic colour changes is beautiful-atleast for first timers like me! We can also go out visiting places despite the cold if our winter wear and layering of dresses is done.
    5) Sudha was absolutely right about the availability of baby food here. The variety and quality is very good.
    6) A million thanks to Sudha for telling us about furnished accommodation. It saved us a lot of money and trouble.
    7) Winter wear, like Aarthi Vijay has mentioned is better to buy in Germany- the quality is good and we do get good offers and discounts in some places.
    8) I brought my chapatti kuzhavi. But for those who have not, I found it in many stores. I manage with a new vegetable cutter that serves as my chapatti kal.
    9) Berlin is a good place that is easy to fall in love with-even for someone like me who is a hardcore Chennaite who came here convinced of having a terrible time.
    But
    The big Indian community everybody spoke about is eluding me still. I met quite a few Indians in the temples here. But they are wide spread and it’s not easy to meet up on a regular basis.

Hope my rather long write up is of use to someone who is traveling to Berlin. Thanks a lot again for everyone’s guidance and warmth!! J

3. sharbani

sharbani New IL'ite

Hi AnushaRamesh,

Thanks a lot for giving detailed info abt the transit to berlin.
    My DH is supposed to go to berlin in the month of Jan n i'll be joining him later...i have a 5 month old DD n hence i have to prepare for the A1 exam at home only...
    i would really appreciate if you could provide me some guidelines on how to prepare for the exam since you have appeared for it already..

Is it an objective type exam...? are we supposed to know only words or should we be able to make sentences also...?

pls guide...

thanks...

regards

4. AnushaRamesh

AnushaRamesh New IL'ite

Hi sharbani

You can prepare for the exams at home. But see if you can arrange for something like private tuitions for a couple of days, so that you get a hang of how the language basically works. You can get a lot of sample papers through google. The Goethe institute website also has a sample paper.

The exam consists of reading, writing, speaking and listening. The pattern of questions does not change much- from my experience. I even had one question from the model papers, repeated in my exam. tTe speaking part is the only one that is not covered in the sample papers. So I will give you the questions they usually ask.
    1) introduce oneself in German.
    Ans: give name, age, profession etc. in full sentences
    2) they will test your ability to use numbers in german, like asking your full birth date in german etc. be thorough with numbers.its a sure shot question.
    3) A question to test if u know the alphabets- they will ask u to spell ur name fully in german.
    4) They will give you various words to ask questions with. The spoken part is conducted in groups of four. So, one student will frame and ask a question to the next student.we will usually get a chance to ask 1 question and answer one question. Know the basic vocabulary and various ways in which simple questions can be formed.
    5) The next one will be to request some one based on a theme given to u. this is to test if you can request in German politely. Get to know the basic requesting sentences. Also learn how to answer them. For example, if you get the theme, ‘mobile phone’ you could probably ask, “ my mobile is not working. I want to call my husband. Can you give your mobile please?” this is what I got in my exam. I feel it is safer to give such small simple sentences together than attempt to finish in one sentence.

for 4 and 5 above, you have sample themes and topics in the model papers. once you look at them , you will get a better idea.

These are the parts in speaking as far as I remember. You will have 2/3 examiners - one of them will be a native german.

If you feel it is too much to tackle alone – I would advise you to visit the pune Goethe institute once. Go with ur baby- try to meet one of the teachers there- they give you better advise than a receptionsist with standard answers. Tell them u cannot attend regular classes bcoz u have to take care of ur baby. Ask if you can get any other help- even if it comes at a price- like private tuitions or notes. The teachers are usually very helpful and supportive because they understand that it is unfair to not let you join ur husband because you do not know german!!

I am trying to find my notes. Will give more details once I get hold of my notes.

Most importantly, you get to attend a free coaching on 2 days right before ur exams. Manage to attend that by all means. It gives excellent practice and orientation towards the exams.

Sorry for being so late with my reply. Long since I chekd indusladies!!

Best of luck!!!:thumbsup

Anusha.

5. Aleesha

Aleesha New IL'ite

I was reading this thread-although I am not moving from Chennai. I saw that many of you have given some very helpful tips.

I will be moving to Germany in August as a single woman. I am taking up a job offer. I was wondering how did you all manage to bring along kitchen items like mixers and cooker. One barely has a luggage limit of 20 kgs. Did you all ship these items? Also does the Indian mixie work there? ( electrical appliances or do I have to carry a specific plug/converter?
    Any help with reagrd to these first questions will be greatly appreciated.
    Also I will be staying around the Nuremberg/Erlangen area...any one living there?

Thanks so much for a nice forum

Aleesha

6. Sudha.dilip

Sudha.dilip New IL'ite

I am living in Berlin for the past 2 years. But happened to come across this thread only today. If anybody needs any assistance abt Berlin, l would be glad to help. Hi Anusha, if you are still in Berlin, would like to meet you some time. I am also from Chennai and living here with my husband.

7. shubhaneeta

shubhaneeta New IL'ite

hi

reading this thread was really useful as i too m moving to dusseldrof. so the list recommended very informative. Also wanted to know so place to rent fully furnished which has some indian community arround

8. fromLonodn

fromLonodn New IL'ite

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I am planning to move to Dusseldorf in January. Can you please tell me if you found any areas where there is a good mix of Indian community?

Regards,

Anita

9. srividhyasudhir

srividhyasudhir New IL'ite

hi.. i am Srividhya..as of now i am stayin in UK but basically from Chennai.. we are planning to move to Berlin, Germany by June 2014. i would like to know about [COLOR=#009900 !important]the Indian[/COLOR] CBSC schools over there. and also about the Indian[COLOR=#009900 !important]stores[/COLOR]..pls post me some info :)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013