moving to germany from chennai-guidance needed

Discussion in 'Indians in Germany' started by AnushaRamesh, Apr 16, 2009.

1. AnushaRamesh

AnushaRamesh New IL'ite

Hello everyone!

I am moving from Chennai to Berlin in a month. My husband is going on work permit for a year. Can someone guide me on what kind of clothes, vessels and other esssentials to take from here? I also have baby over one year old. It would be of great help if you could also tell me something ablout renting a house in Berlin for 2 people.

Regards
    Anusha

2. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Hello Anusha,

A very warm welcome to you in IL.

Hope your stay in Germany is going to be a memorable one.Regarding your query on essentials things to bring from India , someone from Berlin will be able to provide you with a more comprehensive answer but according to me Berlin has a good Indian community which means there is a high possibilty of stores catering for Indian groceries.

Would be great if you can share your travel experiences and initial hiccups while settling down in Germany which could serve as a reference point for someone who will be travelling along the same path.

Please go through the various forums in IL when you find time to acquaint yourself with the wealth of knowledge and experience shared by fellow ILites.Enjoy your stay and hope to see you more often in IL.:thumbsup

3. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Anusha,
    Welcome to Germany! Ilive in Frankfurt .
    Yeah the weaher is getting warmer so you will enjoy that initially....that too coming from chennai, it will be pleasant.
    About utensils etc, get a small cooker, a must and difficult to find one here....
    Depending on how much you will be allowed to get, bring some small pans and couple of cooking utensils. You can buy the rest here, they are available here.
    Some spices etc initially just for a month will help,like rasampaste and samber powders, until you find the indian, or srilankan shops which sell everything!

I still bring my pastes and podis from suswaad or grand sweets whenever i visit chennai! Since it is warm, a sweater should do initially, later u can pick up your jackets etc after october when the winter sets in.
    About housing, you cangoogleand see to get an idea. Apartments are best of course, since we get no help forhousework etc , it is easier to maintain. Depending on his work area you can find a location which is not very fare and find something. You may find a fully furnished apartments also...then in that case even kitchen utensils and essentials will be provided....that will be best if you are here only for a year! for the child i am sure you will get lot of baby food which are healthy, so need to worry!
    feel free to askme anything else specific...i will be glad to help!
    There is a big indian community too,soyou will find help there.....
    Do youknow abit of the language....that can be a big help when you go shopping! But still you can manage initially ,so dont worry!

All the best for a smooth move!

4. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Anusha,

Welcome to this part of the world. I'm also from Chennai and living in Munich. I have been only once to Berlin so not sure about the Indian shops, Indian community there. As Sudha says you are landing at the right time of the year. Right now you'll need sweater and may be a light jacket. Berlin is always warmer than rest of Germany. As winter approaches it's better to buy jackets etc., here. When we first came we got such things from India and they didn't suit at all.

I assume you'll stay in a furnished apartment. We do not have gas cooking range in apartments here so most of Indian vessels will not work. But I'd strongly recommend a pressure cooker (with spare safety valve, gasket) and a good mixie that can also grind idli/dosa batter. These essentials we do not get here. Rest one or 2 necessary vessels you can buy in local shops like Karstadt, Kaufhof to name a few. You'll also get cheap ones in supermarkets that you can use and throw here.

As for groceries, Indian shops carry dals, rice, spices. We even get MTR rasam sambar powder but ofcourse everything is expensive. But based on past experience i'd recommend bringing tamarind, vathals that are not available here. If the company provides shipping facility from india then bring in paruppu etc., otherwise simply close your eyes and buy here. Earlier i used to carry everything from india but i find that is too much of hassle.

Baby foods are very good here. So don't worry.

Anything else you'd like to know we are here to help and assist.

Latha

5. AnushaRamesh

AnushaRamesh New IL'ite

Dear Sabitha, Sudha and Latha,
    Thanx a lot for your informative responses. Being my first experience with IL, I was truly bowled over by the quick and patient replies. Will definitely share about my tryst with Germany. I am learning German now at Goethe Institute as they have made Level A1 compulsory for getting dependent visa. Please do tell me anything else that strikes you as relevant to me for relocation.

Regards
    Anusha

6. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

You are most welcome, Anusha. Wishing you a very happy move. Oh they have made learning German compulsory is it? In a way it's good too. Once you know the language you'll find the people are friendly. Something I remembered from our trip to Berlin... in Goethe Strasse you will find a small eatery that sells Dosai. I think this must be the only such place in the whole of Germany. It is run by a Srilankan and the dosais were very authentic.

When you get time check out www.toytowngermany.com. I found Indian shops in Munich through this website.

Latha

7. amul

amul Silver IL'ite

Hi Anusha,

Welcome to IL and also to germany.Berlin is a place where u can find more indian community and its a historical place to be visited.
    One imp thing I can share with you is, I suffered alot without mixie.As you are going to stay for one year and if you think its imp for ur daily needs..you can get it one.
    I am not sure u will get an indian mixie here.As cooker is also mentioned I need not tell u.
    Rest all are mentioned in the above replies.
    hav a nice time.
    regards
    amul

8. Aarthivijay

Aarthivijay New IL'ite

Hi Anusha,

Welcome to Germany.. I stay in Cologne for the past 2 years..I am basically from COimbatore.. Gud u r coming in Summer..

Regarding Vessels... Try to get cooker, Mixer, Idly cooker without fail.. We do get cooker and Mixers here but I dont find these Mixers gud.. And rest other utensils u can get it here... Not an issue..

Medicines are a must.. Try to get all the basic medicines for Cold,Cough,Fever,Pain killers and for all other common illness ( Include Vicks,Iodex,Moov etc ) .. Since u dont get medicines over here without a Doctor's prescription..

And Winter wear.. U get gud things here compared to India.. Just carry some basic winter clothes for ur kid.. It shouldnt be a problem for u since u r coming in Summer..

And Groceries... Try to get all the Masala s from India.. U get everything here.. But I usually bring from India..

Hope this helps.. Anything else .. Let me Know.. Wishing u a Safe Journey.. Bye

9. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Anusha,

I just wanted to add a point on Aarthi's info on medicines. To my knowledge, yes it's better to carry medicines that you use currently, but off the counter you'll get paracetamol, cold medications, head-ache medicines etc., without prescription. I regularly buy cold, fever medicines for my chidren from the pharmacy without any issues.

It's best to find a doctor once you land here and whatever they prescribe will be paid by the insurance. things that you buy from pharmacy without prescription you'll pay yourself. And you might also like to know that in Germany anti-biotics will not be prescribed for children so commonly as in India.

Latha

10. Jenz

Jenz Bronze IL'ite

Hi Anusha,

Welcome to Germany.

Currently I don't live in Germany...but have lived here and now a visitor to germany quite often.

As amul has mentioned....mixie is something you could bring along. I struggled initially and later brought one from home!

Chappathi kuzhavi...is another thing I brought along...coz i was used to a thin long one instead of thick one!

Have a safe & pleasant journey.

Sudha, Latha, Aarthi...good to know you guys too.

Cheers
    Jenz