Moving to Germany from Bangalore- Help Required

Discussion in 'Indians in Germany' started by jyothi201, Apr 11, 2010.

1. jyothi201

jyothi201 New IL'ite

Hello everyone!

I am moving from Bangalore to Ratingen or Dusseldorf in a month and will be travelling with my 1.5 yr kid. My husband is going on work permit for a year. Can someone guide me on cost of living(per month on an average) in Ratignen or Dusseldorf like what will be the cost of:

1) Studio or 1 bed apartment(Furnished or semi furnished)
    2) water, electricity bill etc
    3) Grocery
    4) Transportation

It would be of great help if you could also tell me something ablout the place and also German peoples as I heard language is big problem in Germany and we don't know german language.

Regards
    Jyothi

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Jyothi,

sorry for the delay in reply. We lived in duesseldorf for 4 yrs, 2003-07. We rented a fully furnished apartment first 2 times and then the last year an unfurnished apartment. A fully furnished apartment usually included water and electricity charges (warm miete). I think for you this would work out better. The rent will depend on the area, the type of apartment (old or new building) etc., but i have heard Ratingen is cheaper on rentals than Duesseldorf city.

Grocery - there are 2-3 indian shops in and around Hauptbahnhof (main train station). Of course if you convert euros to indian rupees the cost will be more. I don't know how much you can carry so my tip would be to just bring essentials and bear with the cost:)

Transportation - public transport is very good generally anywhere in europe. I don't drive and use bus, tram, underground. You can buy monthly pass (child upto 6 yrs is free). trains are very frequent, run on time and not at all crowded.

for rentals - has your husband talked to any indians working in his company in germany? I knew of indian women whose husbands came only for such short projects. they have a good network and can guide on lesser rentals. but, well, i don't want to be judgemental here. they lived in 1 bedroom apt and the apts weren't in very good conditions. but if you find using an agent you'll have to pay around 10% agent fees:)

Latha

3. jyothi201

jyothi201 New IL'ite

Hi Latha,

First of all thanks a lot for your update.

We are looking for both furnished or un furnished as per our budget as I really don't know what will be an average rent for

1) Furnished 1 bedroom apartment
    2) Un furnished 1 bedroom apt

Can you please share the details like what will be the approx rent for both and also my husband will be the first one to travel from his comp and we don't know anybody over there.

Can you please share any of your contacts or any kind of agents which you know where we can approach for accomodation.

Regards,
    Prashant M M

4. chetanasudhi

chetanasudhi New IL'ite

hi jyoti,

sorry for late reply.i am staying in duisburg,basically from bangalore.

where r u right nw?if u need any help pls reply to this post.

5. mahayug

mahayug New IL'ite

Hello everyone...I am Maha from Bangalore and I will be moving to Dusseldorf/Ratingen in Dec 2010. Will be living there for 1 year+. My husbands office is in Lintorf/Ratingen.
    Looking to get connected with people from India living in Dusseldorf. Also looking for suggestions if it would be better to take an apartment in Dusseldorf or in Ratingen. I would prefer to live closer to the Indian community since the commute for my husband should not be an issue.

Thanks in Advance,
    Maha

6. priyya424

priyya424 New IL'ite

Hi,

I am also new to the area. We currently live in kaiserswerth which is not too far from Ratingen. I have a 16 month old daughter and am looking for some network. We are here for about two years. Where did you move to?

Thanks,
    Priya

7. nivea10184

nivea10184 New IL'ite

Hi All,

I am moving to Erlangen from Bangalore this March end.
    My husband is coming there on a 3 year work permit, So wanted to know what are the things that we need to get from India.
    I have some specific queries:
    a. How easy is it to get an unfurnished apartment there, as we are coming for long term we are thinking of getting our furniture along.
    b. What are the utensils that we need to carry and is there any cooking gas available there?
    c. Eatables items that we should carry along ( masala's, daal's etc) we are vegetarians.
    d. Since Erlangen is a small city, is there a huge language problem or is there any Indian group?
    e. How easy is it to find a job there as I will be searching for a job there.
    f. What are monthly expenses can we expect, if we are staying in a 1-2 room flat.

Thanks for any help.

Regards
    Nivi

8. revjey

revjey New IL'ite

Hello ladies,

Just a week ago my husband, my 16 months old daughter and I have moved from Bangalore to Frankfurt. My husband has come with a work permit for a year. Can someone help with the following
    1) Where to find Indin grocery shops, indian restaurants.
    2) Is there any cheap calling card available which can be used to call back our people in India
    3) A good pediatrician, preferbly an indian or atleast English speaking person.

Thanks in advance
    RJ

9. whatznext

whatznext New IL'ite

sharing what i know from my experience in germany

nivea : you questions are answered in your other thread..
    About job, its very very very important to know german here. Most of the companies speak only german. Even if you are a techi it gets difficult to find jobs so be open to face difficulties. I am not scaring you, but thats the reality.

Get all the spices, whole garam masala, dhaniya powder, vangibath mix, rasam powder, get a Mixi for sure. You get all the spices and masalas but still when you can get from india, do it... Get some Rice dhal that you can use for atleast 10 days when you come... as you need to explore places, till then it should suffice. Pickles i forgot to mention

In germany 1 hall + 1 room and kitchen flat is called 2 room flat... rent should be around 500 Euro and montly grocery another 200 to 300 euros... apart from this internet, cable, heating expense, water would be there...

I dont think there would be fully furnished apartment, but apartment where kitchen is inbuilt or without kitchen... 1st is best, if its without kitchen then you have to make ur kitchen, like stove, attach sink, friedge owen etc... which is a pain.

Looks like you are getting a container... if so then get the basic furniture that you already have, however its not so expensive to buy furniture here... you can get a good deal of 2nd hand ones in ebay.

YOu can add cooker, Dosa tava, Chappati rolling pin, microwave...

Be ready... people dont speak english here... language is a huge barrier... you have to learn language for sure.

Find out from indians in your hubby's company abt which place is good for staying... and erlangan being an university city there woudnt be many indian families...

10. whatznext

whatznext New IL'ite

revjey,

abt ped check out with other indian families who have kids that would be the best. more over finding indian doc is near impossible... so getting someone spk english shd be good.

calling india REBTEL is good... and it costs less... i was not a fan of other voip services...

there are a lot of indian restaurants in frankfurt and also grocery shop... you wd get them on google.