Moving to Frankfurt

Discussion in 'Indians in Germany' started by FrankfurtGirl, Apr 30, 2012.

1. FrankfurtGirl

FrankfurtGirl New IL'ite

Hello Ladies,
    I will be moving to Frankfurt within the next month or so. I have the following questions:

1) I have a Preethi Blue Leaf Gold Mixie that I am planning to bring along. It is a 750 Watt mixie with the standard 3 pin Indian plug and runs on 230V, 50Hz power supply. Can it be used there? I know that the voltage there is 220V and that the plug will also be different. Since the voltage is more or less the same, I am assuming I would not be needing a voltage converter, the only thing required will be an adapter. My question is which is the best adapter for a mixie of the above specification? And where can I buy it from? Any links (amazon etc.) would be helpful. And can the adapter be used for other electric appliances like laptop, camera etc.?

2) I am also having a Premier Lifestyle Tabletop Tilting Wet Grinder that I used for idli/dosa batter grinding. Do you ladies think that it is required to carry it all the way there? Since my husband's company sponsors shipping of goods up to a certain amount, I thought why not? We are a small family, hubby, myself and small baby - though we are regular idli eaters, will it be not sufficient to grind the same in a mixie? What are your thoughts?

3) My next set of questions pertains to my 2 yr old son - what is the schooling system like in Germany? Where should I put him (kindergarten etc.) after coming there? Are these bilingual? And what is the approximate cost per month of such kindergartens/playschools - both the German and bilingual ones? And any good ones in Frankfurt? In and around Niederrad area?

4) Which is the best place to buy a pram/buggy? I am assuming I would definitely be needing one of those, though my son prefers to walk always. Also a car seat, since it is mandatory as per German laws. Any good places where I can get a used one?

5) Any good Pediatricians/Gynecologists in Frankfurt (preferably in and around Niederrad)? Preferably Indian doctors?

6) Lastly, any online forums for Indians in Frankfurt? I am not able to access toytowngermany site since it is blocked from India, that is the first one that comes up when I google.

Please help me with the above questions friends. Would greatly appreciate your inputs.

Thanks,
    FrankfurtGirl

2. downloadmyths

downloadmyths New IL'ite

Yes... You can use the same mixie. I too just landed in Munich a week back with my preeti blue leaf mixie and I'm using it. Only problem is the pin. Though we simply say that its a 2 pin here instead of the 3 pins that we use, its still different. The pins are lil closer to each other than ours. So better get international converters from India. They cost you about Rs. 150/- or so and you can easily get them from any of the computer shops around. They have pins for all countries and it will work that way. Just get 2 or 3 and that would do.

Do really think about this as you are already bringing in your mixie. For me, I just got the dry jar with the extendables (the jars with lid) and the medium size wet jar. Thats more than enough to run an easy life here. You could better use the shipping stuff to pack your dresses, utensils and stuff as the former is very very costly here and the later's availability is less.

Not sure of all these. I live here with my hubby.

Towntown Germany, Munich Mela and Indusladies are my best bet. Hope it helps.

3. Nita30

Nita30 New IL'ite

Hi,

regarding schooling..Kindergarten starts at 3 years. Before that you can put your child in a creche(which is not all that easy to get). The state run Kindergartens cost anywhere between 50 to 300 euros the month, depending on if you want full or half days care( you get automatically assigned to the one nearest to your place, and they usually accept the child without a problem). The language used in all these Kindergartens is German. The private ones can be bilingual or run only in English. Check Montesorri Kindergarten or the international ones( I do not think there is a private one in Niederrad but you can go almost anywhere in Frankfurt with public transport). Here the cost is naturally higher, starting I think at about 500 Euros. Just google for international/bilingual kindergartens in Frankfurt.

If you want to buy second hand Pram/buggy then try ebay.de .

The good Pediatricians/Gynecologists usually have a waiting list (unless you are privately insured), you will just have to come and go through the yellow pages and call and see if you get an appointment.

Hope this helps.