1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Moving To Chicago - Need Info On Neighborhoods To Live In

Discussion in 'Indians in Chicago' started by Thanika99, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Thanika99

Thanika99 New IL'ite

Hello All,

I am a young, married woman whos moving alone to Chicago to start my new job. My husband lives further down south.. We plan to meet often.. I will be working out of downtown and looking for places/neighborhoods where I can stay. Some requirements I am looking at

1) Places that are easy to commute to downtown and back most times of the day - max 40-45 mins commute one way..
    2) Can survive for the most part without car.. walkable to groceries, shops etc.. but I am open to buying a car in the long run
    4) Community wise I am not necessarily looking for some Indian hub, but some community presence would be nice.. Demographically diverse is fine too.. Also would prefer a place inhabited by likes of young professionals like me working around or in the city
    5) Closer to Indian groceries, restaurants
    6) I am not concerned with school district etc.. just safety, security is what matters for me

I have already come across suggestions like Evanston, Oak Park which dont seem to be too much Indian but are good in other ways.. Also places like Lombard, Skokie, Des Plains, Arlington Heights, Elmhurst.. Any specific likeness recommendation to any of these places like apartment communities would be great..

Willing to be an active member of this wonderful community:)
    Thanks a lot in advance ;)

2. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Welcome to Chicago and to Indusladies!

The city of Chicago is the best place to live when you are young and do not have to worry about schools. Some of the suburbs you mentioned, particularly Evanston are pricier than Chicago. Skokie's yellow line to Chicago is a joke but is otherwise cheaper to live and has some diversity. Des plaines does have more Indians, cheaper apartments and a decent commute to downtown. So does Arlington heights. Presidential Towers in Chicago is a popular destination for people like you. I am sure you will run into Indians there.

If you are looking to hang out with the yuppie crowd, Chicago, Evanston and Oak Park are your best bet.

Once a month or so, you can rent a car and get Indian grocery from Devon. There are buses too, if you prefer. If you live in Chicago, you do not need a car. Devon has Indian/Pakistani restaurants. Gaylord, Hema's kitchen and Maharaja are some popular restaurants in Chicago (away from the Devon area).

In Chicago, Lincoln Park/Lincoln Square, North Village are pretty safe. Rule of thumb, stay in the Northside.

cool likes this.
  3. cool

cool New IL'ite

McClurg Court also is another popular option

4. Lithika

Lithika Bronze IL'ite

Hi...welcome to Chicago

If u want to commute to downtown frequently it's better to be near railway station area lk Arlington heights ...
    if u would like to be with Indian community n good maintained apartment I would suggest Briarwood & mallard lake but for Indian store you have to take a cab.

Skokie has bus facility & low rent but I don't know much about Indian community over there.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2017