1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to Chicago- looking for good schools, apartments and hospitals

Discussion in 'Indians in Chicago' started by PoonsM, May 24, 2014.

1. PoonsM

PoonsM New IL'ite

Hello,
    We are thinking of moving to Chicago this summer from Dallas and wanted to know which areas to look for an apartment in. Preferably Indian community with good schools (elementary- I have a 8 yr old) and near good hospitals (with ob-gyn). I have another on the way !
    Husband will be working in Downtown Chicago, so was also wondering how is the public transport system and how do people generally get from one place to another.
    Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thank you ladies :)

2. SriVen

SriVen Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    We are in Aurora.Railway station is 2 miles from our apartment.But Parking lots booked for 7 years.I f you go early you will get parking.I feel apartment is little costly.NEar by apartment oakhurst north community is there.There you can get town home with garage little cheaper than apartment.Check that in zillow.I was also pregnent when i came here.I went to little far hospital .near by edward hospital isthere.One of my friend went to dr.Mallika .In my daughter school rating is 9.Somebody prefer Shumberg.But I don't know the details.

3. PoonsM

PoonsM New IL'ite

Thanks for the reply SriVen! :)
    Is travelling by the Railway preferred rather than driving to downtown? Is it safe, esp travelling at night?
    Also, how do people generally travel within the area itself to get around? Like to buy groceries or get to the doctor? I mean, will I need a car or is the public transport good and reliable enough for daily commuting?

4. SriVen

SriVen Silver IL'ite

if you need to go down town for job means train is the best choice.Most of my friends taking trains.I think commute by car to down town daily not possible.Other than that you need car for other things.there is no frequent bus for local commute.

5. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

@PoonsM, Welcome to Chicago and to IL. Hope you are settled now.