Moving to Austin - where to live?

Discussion in 'Indians in Austin' started by Rin123, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Rin123

Rin123 Senior IL'ite

Hello All

We are planning to move to Austin this summer. We are confused about location still. My hubby work from home. I will look for job after moving. We both work in IT. My kids are in middle school and soon will go to High school.

My criteria is good schools, proximity to IT jobs (less commute), if possible (but not mandatory) Indian community, newer construction, scenic beauty etc.

Please suggest right location. Thanks in advance all.

2. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

3. Indirakumar

Indirakumar New IL'ite

Hi Rin123,
    We are moving to Austin next month and with 2 kids similar in age to you. My requirements match to yours and was wondering if you found a place here in Austin. If you do not mind, can you pls share your experience and places you have decided? I really would appreciate your input. Thanks in advance.

4. Rin123

Rin123 Senior IL'ite

There are good schools everywhere in Austin. You should short list area where your or your spouse job is. There is lot of trafick during peak hours so decide based on your job location. IT jobs are different places like round rock, near 360, 183, govt jobs are in downtown. spicewood area is central to many job locations with good schools and many indians. good luck

5. LavanyaAlambara

LavanyaAlambara New IL'ite

Hi Rin123,
    Thought I am new to this site & area, ur information is very useful. Additionally I would like to know if you know anything about Charter schools in Austin. Also which middle school would you likely suggest in Round Rock area.
    Looking forward to your reply. Thanks

6. Induslady

You may want to check out these Middle schools in Round Rock area:

Middle Schools

Cedar Valley, Canyon Vista and Walsh are great schools with consistent top-ratings and has huge Indian (Asian) population :)

Grisham Middle School is a relatively new school but doing great with IB curriculum.

Pearson Ranch Middle School is a new school opening Fall 2017 and is in a great neighborhood, expected to do great sooner.

7. Rin123

Rin123 Senior IL'ite

Hello Induslady

Vandegrift high school is not included is in 10 best high schools, it should be I think. Its new but catching up with westlake and westwood high schools.

Induslady likes this.
  8. lak0308

lak0308 New IL'ite

Hello Ladies, we are planning to move to Austin and wondering if the Ranch at Brushy Creek is a good location. I guess criteria for most of us is the same. Good schools and neighborhood. My kids are in Middle school and soon will be going to high.
    Any input on Florence Stiles Middle school and Vista Ridge High school will be greatly appreciated.

9. Induslady

Hi,

Welcome to Austin! Ranch at Brushy Creek is a great community and lots of Indians around. As per the new zoning, guess the Ranchers at Brushy Creek will be going to Cedar Valley Middle School and that is an awesome school. Vista Ridge High school is a good school too, not as competitive as McNiel or Westwood may be!

10. anita0180

anita0180 New IL'ite

We just moved from Austin. We were in Davis Springs - RoundRock ISD near Avery Ranch area. Just got a new elementary and middle school. Will be getting a new high school soon. Affordable in this school range. Happy house hunting