Moving To A Demanding Job

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by mangaii, Jul 21, 2017.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Your husband is jobless for now, and looks like he has rare chances to get a good job to be the primary bread-winner of the family in the near future.
    Forget about the astrology, we do not know what exactly it is. But looking at your H's experience in his job market, and what you have summarized above, it is evident that there is no immediate solution to this.

Eating up the savings is a bad idea. Unless you have no other choice, it has to be kept as the last resort only.
    You have kids and responsibilities towards the future. Your own comfort zone is not an excuse to accept a 30% pay cut forever when family's income is at risk.

Ask your H not to take this astrology thing to his mind, and continue to look for jobs. If not today, he may find something good down the line.

In the mean time, you apply for a better job. Since you are confident that you can get one quickly, go for it.
    Save the family from this risky time, and keep your savings aside for any dark days to come.
    If possible, add on to your savings, so that you can relax when it is necessary in the future.

Plan together with your spouse as to how better you both can switch your roles. Now that you are becoming the bread winner, hence more work, more time at work.
    So, your H should be ready to compensate your "lost time" at home by staying more at home with kids. He should closely interact with kids than before, and be there for them.
    Also, if your wify/mommy role at home demands a lot of household chores, then it is time to share them on proportionate basis.
    Ask your H to pitch in wherever necessary, so that you can have a quality family time after work.

With a good pay ch, you can afford some domestic helpers too.

Consider this as temporary. Once your H settles back with a good job, you can relax a bit if you want.

2. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

No amount of money can buy peace of mind . I wouldn't advise you to change jobs. Instead see if you can negotiate a higher pay package in your current job and offer to take up some additional responsibilities .

3. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP,

I am sorry that your H lost his job. I have faced similar situations and feel the pain.
    One thing I want to say. You are already see life change and rifts with one of your losing job. If you also switch at the moment, it will be big change in the family atmosphere. You are comfortable in your sphere right now, with collegues, they know your performance and are adapted to it.
    In new place, again you will also have to restart and that might take lot of family time.
    Your H can continue looking and meanwhile you cut back on expenses. Good thing is your kids are old enough to take care of themselves to some extent.

At one point, I switched job to super demanding job when I was planning to have kids. Old company I was well settled with people and manager. Friends tried to tell me but I wanted to advance in career and was bored. Worst decision. Its different than yours.

I do not follow astrology but lets say it is true. He said there will be problem for 3 yrs. So why take risk by switching jobs for you also.

4. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

I would like to thank everyone for their time. After thinking long and hard for last few months and seeing my bank saving dwindling I have decided it is time for me step up. I'm officially in the market looking for a better job . The perspective has completely changed. Just wanted to provide an update.