1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Moving on in life

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Moving On in Life​

Today’s newspapers had something interesting. North Korea leader has said, that from now on, mobiles are banned, and anyone found talking on the mobile, will be considered a traitor, and this would be treated as a “ WAR CRIME”

And also there was a debate today in the papers about the opening of FDI in retail, whereby stores like Walmart can come and open their stores here, and sell whatever they want, without having partnership with any Indian company.

Coming to North korea first. The king must be crazy. His fears are, as papers said, that mobiles increase the risk of the people learning of the uprisings in places like Egypt, and they may start to do the same there. Hence the ban. Those who want to learn will do so, u cant stop people.

What about India ! When taxes were high , people found out ways to send money abroad, and park them in Swiss Banks. Now that taxes are reasonable, people don’t mind paying their taxes, and spending and saving the rest.

When the PCO’s were opened around 95, or so, I found them a great revulation. Now even if my landline was dead,I could go to a PCO, sit confortably and talk to whomsoever I wanted, without pestering my neighbours to allow me, talking their obligation. But with the coming of the mobile, which even my maids and the vegetable sellers have, better than mine, the PCO’s are dead and I don’t see even one of them operative . Moving with the times made , and adapting to new technology, the PCO died and mobile came alive.

And then, when fax came , we stopped sending letters abroad, this was faster. So registered letters came down. And when internet came, fax became obsolete, for in a fax u have to spend money perminute of the line used, in the computer, the keyboard became the typewriter, and the email replaced the fax, and with the scanner, u could send any document to anyone.

And now with the Walmart types of stores opening here. Do u know, that the multinationals cannot open retail shops, which means if Reebock, Addidas can wholesale their products but cannot open their stores on their own !!!Crazy eh !

But there are ways around as I found out. Say they tell the distributor, say kamal, that u open that store under yr name, but it will be ours, u pay the rent, u keep what we tell u to keep, the sales team we will choose, their salaries , overheads etc. The company wants to sell shoes which are say 15000 to 20,000, a range which the other stores don’t keep, that is their compulsion .

Now kamal becomes the front man, if there is profit, it is kamal’s , if there is a loss, they give special discounts on the other goods the fellow buys to make up for it. Win Win for all.

So suppose Walmart comes in, are we scared the local mom and pop stores will go bankrupt, for everyone will rush to Walmart to buy clothes and groceries ? Wrong. Some will die, those that are inefficient, but then some, will start to improve themselves, by giving u home deliveries, if they are not douing so, give u monthly credit, and even bring a loaf of bread, and eggs if u ask for it at strange hours.

And they are being opened some 20 kms away from the cities, who has the time to go there for daily necessities, even though they may be cheaper, bcs they buy in Bulk. How much can I stock up on perishables like tomatoes , be it 5 bucks cheaper than what is available at my neighbourhood ?

It will take an hour to go, an hour to come, and another few hours at Walmart, the cost of petrol and time, who has it these days. And there are many who would not buy the pair of jeans, that u can wear, and the rickshawfellow can also wear, for they will be reasonable. Some are choosy of their brands, some are not, like me.

And then Walmart will sell undies in packs of say 6 , I may want to buy just one for now, so I have to go to the mom and pop store close by. And the MP fellow knows me, he offers me tea, asks about my family, which is absent in Walmarts and these stores where it is impersonal service.

By not moving with the times we suffer a lot.Look still at Railway stations, where u still have coolies, and not trolleys like the airports, and we don’t put trollies, bcs the porters will go out of jobs eh ! So to accommodate these porters, called blackmailers, we don’t put the trolleys to make life easy as it is at airports. In fact , the railways can charge 10 ruppee rent for a trolley, and all the money collected can be distributed to the coolies, and it will be a neat packet, mark my words. And coolies will make more money, bcs u can take the heavy bags upto the train, but u need someone to put them inside the compartment und er the seats, for which u need a coolie !!!!!

The Blackberry , for some has replaced the computers, even the I pads, but we must move on in life. We have to accept the changes. I for one, found fax easier, and it was irritating to me, when I bought the computer, with 1.1 GB hard disk at 75000/- the desktop that is, it took a month to learn how to move the mouse, and how to type softly on the keyboard. But glad I did accept and embrace the net, that I can blog today.

Kodak did not move with technology, and they say it is Bankrupt or filing for it. Nokia was the leader in india, till Samsung moved in with the pads,a nd those android phones, and pushed nokia way back in the line.

I don’t know much about technology, I guess a 10 year old kid knows more about cars, and mobiles than this old man sitting in front of u. All I know is, we have to move forward.

And who knows , Reliance Fresh, flopped, when it had opened a few years back, everyone was rushing there, to even buy salt, today they are extinct almost in Jaipur. What guarantee is there that Walmart and their counterparts will succeed, for we Indians have different mindsets, we are used to homedeliveries, monthly credits, and other facilities which these stores will not give.

So let them come, let them brin g in their money, raise employmen t levels, for u will need local staff, and more goods will be sold . Don’t put any condition on them, let them do what they want. But I cam bet, they will not find the going easy here in india, which they think is a cakewalk.

Let the best man win, in this war of business, we will sit back and watch the fun !!!!!

KAMAL MAHTANI

Thought of the day

When someone is flirting with u, please cooperate !!!
    For there will come a time, when no one will look at u at all (like it is happening to me these days )!!!

Mom – Son, why is yr wife today so quite and withdrawn ?
    Son – Well mom, she asked for lipstick, I gave her fevistick instead.
    No Chip Chip, no chik chik !!!!!

Wise words of Kamalji

When a friend snubs u, u must go and make him see reason.
    Why?
    That bastard knows all yr dirty secrets, that’s why !!!

Judge to motorist – What proof can u give to convince me that u were not driving fast ?
    Motorist – I was going to pick my wife from her parents house .
    Judge – Case dismissed !!!!!

Auction of a car was goiung on.
    10 lakhs,
    20 lakhs,
    25 lakhs
    The car was a run down , a useless model of the by gone days like our Ambassadors and Fiats.
    A curious fellow standing asked another – Why is this car so expensive ?
    Answer – This car has met with an accident 10 times, and all the times the wife got killed, nothing happened to the others in the car.
    The man raises his hand – 40 lakhs !!!!!!!!!

Rightly said by a married man
    Before marriage I was a dude,
    After marriage I am subdued !!!!

_________________________________________-

4 people like this.

2. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

very well said Kamalji..

Agree with you and the trolleys option in Railway station is wonderful idea.. but for that our stations also should be developed yet..

enjoyed reading it

3. radhavenkatesh

radhavenkatesh Bronze IL'ite

glad u accepted guruji that you are oldman;) " don’t know much about technology, I guess a 10 year old kid knows more about cars, and mobiles than this old man sitting in front of u. All I know is, we have to move forward."

not my words u c they are urs only ;) now what i dont understand is where u pick up ur jokes from ? liked the fevistic wala joke now thinking how to gift it to men ok we ladies use lipi stic what abt men how to glue them ... ur wisdom words pl ....
    radz

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

True kamalji, change is inevitable and we need to constantly learn to adapt, even if we don't become as savvy as youngsters - did I make myself sound old now? We need to change to keep in touch with the same youngsters and to communicate with them.

Made an interesting read from Korea to walmart to railway station to pco's to mobiles to reliance shops to walmart again :) There I had my morning fix of news !

5. esbanu

esbanu Gold IL'ite

Kamalji
    enjoyed reading... good idea trolleys in railway stations..

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pallavi,

Yes railways should be developed, have more malls there, as well as restaurants, good chairs.You can charge for sitting on the chair, no on e will mind it really, and have escalators too, so u dont have to climnb the stairs, have corporates build them and take care of them, give them free advertising in return, what say.

Regards

kamal

7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear RV,

Yes i am an old man, about to be a first time grandpa, HAHA. i get the jokes on the SMS from friends, the veg ones i post here.

Well u will have to think up the joke for the men.HAHA

REgards

kamal

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabita,

We are golden oldies, modern ones who blog, who are net savvy.HAHA

Well it ake u all around the world with my topics eh ! Thanks for the kind words.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shaju,

Thanks .

kamal

10. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

First of all, my congratulations to the soon-to-be-grandpa! :cheersYou must be really excited. Hope all is well in your world Kamalji.

You may be retired from business Kamalji but your business acumen is as sharp as ever. I loved your take on the Indian retail market, your analysis on the survival of the local mom and pop shops and the need to adapt to the changes around us. Very interesting post Kamalji.:thumbsup