1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Moving From South (texas) To North (nj) - Very Nervous

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by uma321, Oct 22, 2016.

1. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Ladies,

We are moving from Texas to New Jersey area due to my husband's job. I'm not familiar with northern USA except visiting NY and Boston for vacation.

I have lived majority of my US life in Texas and LOVE it here. We had no plans to move out of Texas and suddenly plan changed. My husband and I were not even looking for opportunities in Northern states and this opportunity cannot be passed.

Few questions:
    How is life in north states?
    Is Winter really bad?
    We are renting a big apartment (condo style and it's 2000 square feet). But our son is going to be home for few months and won't go to daycare. How can I entertain an active toddler in winter?
    I'll be VERY pregnant and deliver in December. My parents will be with me to manage the kids.
    I'll be working from home in November and after maternity leave. But I'll be looking for job in NJ/NY area right after delivery. How is NJ/NY job market?

I'm a nervous wreck right now. So worried about the lifestyle change, winter and much more. Kinda looking for a reassurance, I guess.

TIA!

2. Cantdecide

Cantdecide Silver IL'ite

Hi! I love the East Coast very much. It is very different from Texas in a lot of ways. Texas is as big as it's small in NJ.

I think that it depends on where you live in each state. The bigger cities are about the same in mindset. Cost of living is higher in NJ.

Winter is bad, no way around that but you will adjust. Prepare for having some winter things shipped there so they are ready when you arrive. Indoors you'll be fine with the heat, but wear lots of layers when you go out and get some good quality shoes and boots for everyone. Scarves, gloves (with touch screen finger tips), hats, earmuffs, thick socks, thermals, etc.

I think you'll like it out there, it is really a nice place to live and close to New York! :).

The job market depends on your field - what do you work in?

When do you guys move? Congratulations on the opportunity and while it feels like a lot of change, I'm sure you guys will adjust beautifully and make your new place your home.

3. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for the response. I work in Procurement and when I searched LinkedIn, I do come across quite a handful of opportunities. But I don't want to assess the job market just with LinkedIn postings.

Is the lifestyle in NJ similar to NY? Meaning, fast life and concrete city. We live in a place where it's a chill-out lifestyle and our house is surrounded by trees and greelbelt backyard.

Damn, I never thought I'll be this scared of change. I never felt this way in our previous moves. But all our previous moves were within southern region.