Moving frm Pune to Erlangen(Germany)

Discussion in 'Indians in Germany' started by Chinav, May 19, 2010.

1. Chinav

Chinav New IL'ite

Hii..
    Joined Indus Ladies yesterday only..found the discussions really useful.

We are moving to Erlangen, Germany nxt month for 1 yr project work.
    Pls guide if we need to rent an accomodation prior to our landing in germany..as suggested by some people..tht its not easy to find an accommd there...though our Co. is providing accmd for 1st one week.
    Howz life in Erlangen ?
    What all do we need to carry thr from india...are indian grocerries easily available..we r vegetarians.
    Is language a big barrier thr??
    Want to connect to the Indian community in Germany .

Pls help

2. Aleesha

Aleesha New IL'ite

Hi Chinav,
    I do not know if you have already moved to Erlangen... As you mentioned finding an apartment can be difficult. However if you do have a relocation agent they should be able to find you accomodation according to your requirements. Unfortunately, most of the nice apartments are held by agents and you have to pay agent fees of upto two months rent.... the best is to get yourself booked in at a hotel (try Kral) that can give you a monthly rate and in the meantime you can look for a decent apartment.

I have spent some time in North Germany years ago, as a student, but never in Erlangen... I too will be moving there very soon. I have some contacts in Erlangen who have been keeping me informed..

I think you will enjoy living in Germany, just make sure that you learn the language well! There are several language schools , the ones most people go to are VHS.

From friends I hear that there is an Asian store in Erlangen but you can bring spices and things you need for a few months. Most of the Indian appliances work in Germany and so there is no problem if you want to carry some of these too. You may just need an adapter. I hope this helps!

Aleesha

3. nivea10184

nivea10184 New IL'ite

Hi All,

I am moving to Erlangen from Bangalore this March end.
    My husband is coming there on a 3 year work permit, So wanted to know what are the things that we need to get from India.
    I have some specific queries:
    a. How easy is it to get an unfurnished apartment there, as we are coming for long term we are thinking of getting our furniture along.
    b. What are the utensils that we need to carry and is there any cooking gas available there?
    c. Eatables items that we should carry along ( masala's, daal's etc) we are vegetarians.
    d. Since Erlangen is a small city, is there a huge language problem or is there any Indian group?
    e. How easy is it to find a job there as I will be searching for a job there.
    f. What are monthly expenses can we expect, if we are staying in a 1-2 room flat.

Thanks for any help.

Regards
    Nivi

4. amul

amul Silver IL'ite

hi

i think you have plenty of information in the following posts

moving to germany from chennai-guidance needed

Moving to Germany from Bangalore- Help Required

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  5. annamuller

annamuller New IL'ite

Hello,

I am am German and from Erlangen and I have lived in India for quite some time, so I will try to help you:)

there is definentally cooking gas available in germany and there are even some asian shops in erlangen, where you can buy indian cooking supply.

i don't know if there are indian groups in erlangen but there should be since there are really many indians and many indian restaurants!

If you are staying in a 1-2 room flat the montly expenses could be around 500 Euros, I think. Since Erlangen is a very expensive city it might be rather more than that.

What kind of job would you like to get there?
    Do you already speak some German? That would be helpful

6. Siat

Siat Senior IL'ite

Good evening, Nivi :hiya

I´m German too, living in Nuremberg. A city near Erlangen.

Generally it´s not a problem to get an unfurnished apartment, but it may be a bit hard to find it in Erlangen.
    Erlangen use to be an university town and especially 1-2 room apartements were also searched by many students, so it may be a bit difficult to find.
    Maybe You can search for apartments here for exampl, but it´s in German:

Suchergebnisse | wohnungsmarkt24.de
    Wohnung mieten Erlangen: Wohnungen mieten
    1 2 Zimmer Wohnung Erlangen - 59 Wohnungen in Erlangen von Nuro..
    Mietwohnungen Erlangen: Wohnung mieten in Erlangen bei Immobilien Scout24

Like Anna said, yes there is cooking gas available.
    If You´re looking for an apartment, You have to hold this in mind.
    It would be mentioned in the advertisement.

Here You can find a list for some indian shops:
    Asian Shops | Indians in Germany

Me either don´t know any Indian groups, but like Anna mentioned, may be you can get in contact through some restaurants or shops?
    Or maybe this above site (Indians in Germany) may help You for getting in contact with other Indians?
    @ language problem:
    Well most of German are speaking English, but if you like to work (depending on what work your looking for) it will be neccessary to learn German.

It´s a question what You are looking for.
    And honestly in Germany we have a very high number of unemployment at the moment, so it´s possible that it will be a bit hard to get a job.
    But like I said, it´s a question of what You´re looking for too.

That depends on the location, but like Anna said: You´ll have to expect between 300 -500,-Euro, sometimes without utilities.

Best regards.
    And if You´re needing more help, feel free to ask :)

Blessings
    Siat

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011