1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Movie watching

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by kkrish, Dec 8, 2011.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kelly
    Thank you. I am fine now where movies are concerned with advanced technology; the disappointments were about 2 decades ago.
    Yes you are right, we have to leave out the sensibilities aside and watch the movies for pure entertainment value. But sometimes that becomes impossible.
    What I referred to are the run-of-mill movies with similar themes; there are exceptionally fabulous movies both old and new in all languages, like Aruna says, that make us want to see them over and over again.
    I agree that western movies also have to be taken with a pinch of salt for very different reasons. If you notice I had noted only the yesteryear actors of the western movie world too. As for the recent movies sometimes I feel they talk too much, sometimes they whisper, and some movies the dialogues are punctuated by cuss words…just too jarring on the ear.:rant
    In my family it is I the non-movie buff. Both my sons and hubby love to watch movies. I just join them not wishing to be left out. Hence the veggies and masalas by the side.:)

Glad you enjoyed the write-up. Thanks:bowdown

1 person likes this.
  2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Uma
    Thank you so much. That was so sweet of you. So you too cut veggies huh? :) Wow I am amazed at this. I thought I was the only one.
    Yeah those disappointments were years ago. Now the movie quality is good both on DVD and streaming and we also get Indian channels on TV. So not missing movies that much.
    I am sure you will not be having much time now to watch movies-your sweet princess will be keeping you occupied and entertained I am sure :)!

3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shanti
    I am so happy to receive a feedback from you.:thumbsup
    Glad you enjoyed the write-up.
    :rotflHahaha...you know I too feel odd watching a movie in a theater without the remote control and not being able to move out when it gets boring.
    My younger son always wants to go to movies as a family and to not disappoint him sometimes I accompany. Once there was a movie which I didn’t (no, couldn’t) watch…some paranormal experience! So decided to close my eyes and use that time for a nap. With the background dialogues lulling me I was drifting into the most delicious sleep when sonny nudges me and whispers, “Mom, are you sleeping?” I quickly sat up denying it, and then slowly drifted off again. While returning home sonny dear kept on plying me with how I liked this scene and that scene. Who knows what happened! I simply said “oh, it was very good…” to all his questions replacing “good” with other synonyms :hide:!
    I agree about the multitasking we women do. Without which we would feel lost I think.:spin
    Yes, movie watching is fun with a large group. Thanks for the invite. I certainly will join you for the chick flicks…nature and science movies?mmmm..I’ll think about it!

4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

My dear Sudha
    I am glad you enjoyed it. I try to keep snippets light keeping in mind your request to write stuff that make you smile. For my Sudha that is the least I can try to do…only I can’t write everyday ma.…my brain is a little slow.:bonk
    I sincerely hope you finally got to watch abhiyum Naanum again till the end. If not, I recommend it.
    I will surely classify that as one of the beautiful movies. A classic, I can watch over and over again.
    Do come home, we will watch a nice movie together and I promise not to fold clothes but let us have ice creams and whatnot!:thumbsup

5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

My Dear Mythili (Iyerponnu)
    Thank you so much! Wow I am so happy there are so many out there like me.
    :rotfl:rotflThat was hilarious! Drenching 3 hankies for KKKG! Maybe you were crying at the sheer length of the movie itself. :hide:It was too long for me; never have I blessed the inventor of the remote control better than during that movie!
    I too was very thrilled when SunTV first aired. It was bliss to see lovely saris that I watched almost all the serials; it was a few weeks later that I go t fed up of the repetition of stories, and even same homes where the serials were shot.
    Please do come home. The invitation still stands. I have invited all the previous feedback givers and there are some after you too; so it may well be a “movie-watching –IL meet” wouldn’t it be a good idea?
    You can watch as much Friends here along with all the IL Friends…not a problem.
    Enjoyed your lovely sense of humor:cheers….
    Have you written in snippets yet? If not yet, you sure must.

6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

My Dear Tulip Lover
    Thank you so much! As for our recent Tamil movies I think I have this love-hate relationship. I don’t relish but if did not have access will surely miss them. An inverse case of wanting to have the cake an eat it too. :)
    Yes ma, it was very hard in my early days here. Actually I realize that only after we got Sun TV and I was able to see my motherland through that channel I started feeling comfortable in this country. The very fact that I can connect somehow made a lot of difference.
    Thank you so much for agreeing to my point-u!:biglaugh

1 person likes this.
  7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

What Kamalji? You don’t want to join us in movie –watching? So many ILites are coming home Kamalji, so there’s no need for me to chop veggies at all. I promise it will be just ice creams, pakodas, and other munchies. This time when the dance comes, or the hero fights we can all exchange our family news and discuss snippets.
    Now will you join us?
    We converted all the home video tapes to DVD’s, our VCR is long gone. It used to be such fun transferring from the video camera to the tapes; used to be my job. Now everything is digital and my hubby has made it very complicated for me to do anything.
    Thanks for the nice feedback Kamalji. Do re-think about joining us for the next movie meet.:)

8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

:biglaugh:biglaugh:biglaughMy Dear Gayathri
    Same case in your home as mine huh! Wow this group is growing in numbers! Come join the club!:cheers
    Thank you for the hilarious feedback.

9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

My Dear Mira
    Enjoyed reading your movie-watching (sorry – movie-hearing:biglaugh:biglaugh) experience! You are so lucky that your hubby picks good movies. We must make friends with him first.:)
    Good, good! The more the merrier, join the veggie chopping-clothes folding-movie hearing club! I am amazed there are so many!:cheers
    The last movie we watched was “Kites”. For me it was pure agony.:rant
    Do join us next week. Just got the film “morning raga”. I was attracted by the Swarajiti, “Maathe” in Kamas raagam.
    :thankyou2: for your lovely feedback Mira!

10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

My Dear Sri Sir
    Thank you so much sir for the lovely feedback and hilarious too!:bowdown

Yes sir, the list of the classic movie actors was indeed short. I love Debbie Reynolds too. I don’t recall the movie title, but I may have seen it. We have the American Movie Classics channel and used to watch a number of movies in the early days of my H4 visa status when I was home bound.
    I missed Gene Kelly, Elizabeth Taylor, Rex Harrison, Sidney Poitier’s fantastic “To Sir with Love” and “Guess who’s coming to Dinner”, and every Easter we watch the Ten Commandments, every Christmas it is Miracle on 34th Street. The list is exhaustive.

When the VK was laid out finally on my table, I was prepared to pay Rs.400 for him to take it back…. It was as bad as the movie cassettes that you got hold of!
    :biglaugh:biglaughOh my! That was hilarious. I fully agree with how we felt about some of the movie quality. At least the cook made a sincere attempt, but the video makers deliberately cheated us because there was no way of finding out prior. They were simply capitalizing on our emotional weakness.:rant

Oh how well you have surmised my outlook on movies. I did not realize it until I read your paragraph on this.:exactly: Perhaps this is the “looking from outside” that Sabitha’s recent thread is about.
    You are very right about me not able to watch a movie without this side-business sir. The few times I have accompanied my family to the movie theaters has been sheer agony for me. The modern American movies can get boring when there is just dialogue and sometimes they really whisper keeping in tune with reality – can’t make out anything:bonk. I try to look at those times as a golden opportunity and take a nap.:hide:
    I am so glad you enjoyed the thread sir.