1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Movie watching

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by kkrish, Dec 8, 2011.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindi

:), :)!

Oh, thank you so much for that delightful feedback!

Hahaha! That was good one! Yes really true! Despite knowing that movies are not real sometimes the tension of watching mindless violence and cruelty really tenses me up. I too should call these veggie- chopping "unwinding". I learnt something new today Mindi! Thanks:)

One thing is sure - no wonder we felt that kinship towards each other; similar thought process isn't it?
    Enjoyed your feedback just as much Mindi!
    Thank you.

2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Riya Thank you so much
    Hahaha! Good one. Sometimes I too do that! Especially in English movies when they talk too much, can't understand what they are saying...that time sleep just takes over...

You are most welcome Riya! Anytime. If there is more company we can enjoy the movie more commenting on it ...veggie-chopping will not be needed then I think!

1 person likes this.
  3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Ms. C!
    :bowdown
    Now it's my turn to say "Et tu?"!!! Good to know I am not the only only making use of this wonderful opportunity to unwind, as Mindia says! :)

My yearning for Kamal and Sridevi was duirng the early days of my stay here. They were in their movie-prime when I left. So I had no idea of the who took over ...until recently.

Yes now I like Prthivraj, Surya, Dhanush and others...I have no favorites though...
    I just heard the "Why this Kolaveri..." after reading Kamalji's post. Must hear it again...appears to be an interesting piece.

You like Friends? I loved Seinfeld..a show about nothing! We are now watching "Saravanan Meenatchi" on Vijay TV. So far the serial is without the usual melodrama..hoping it will continue to be better.

4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you so much Ambika! Glad you liked the post.

5. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Kamala
    Your list of favorite English actors is mine too save that it does not include Debbie Reynolds and Shirley Maclaine. Debbie was exceptional in the movie ‘The Unsinkable Molly Brown’. My pick of the lot is however James Stewart who had a mesmerizing voice. Those who eulogize Big B’s voice should listen to Jimmy! I started as a movie buff in my youth, became neutral during my hectic professional days and presently in a stage when I just don’t care for them!

I can understand your yearning for the South Indian stars you mention being stationed where you are. I remember my State Bank days when I was inspecting a branch at a place called Kaza in Spiti Valley of Himachal Pradesh at over 12000’. It was essentially a Tibetan settlement and the place was like a desert in its aridity. During the week that I spent there, I longed for Vatha Kuzhambhu and Sutta Appalam for which I was prepared to pay my entire salary of the month! But there was no one to cater to my needs and when I reached Manali from there, one Indian restaurant was prepared to cook it for me. I gladly accepted the offer and agreed to pay Rs.200 for it (in 1976 mind you!). When the VK was laid out finally on my table, I was prepared to pay Rs.400 for him to take it back. It was as bad as the movie cassettes that you got hold of!

But your inability to distinguish between Sivaji and Savithri was not merely due to the substandard tape. When we saw the picture even in a theatre we had this problem when both stalwarts were at the zenith of their career when their acting stature was matched by their physical stature. If Sivaji did not sport a moustache in most of the movies, we would have come out of the theatres with our heads bearing the telltale signs of excessive scratching!

They say that misfortunes run in threes. I can see this age-old axiom coming true in your case with all the three tapes playing the foul! But after going through your story, I can come to one conclusion. When the tapes were bad, you had a good opinion of Tamil movies and when the technological development vastly improved your viewing pleasure, your opinion of them has taken a nose dive! You are now able to sum up the essence of a Tamil film in a few crisp sentences and finally break into poetry too! I see that you do not take your movies any more without sizeable side dishes of cutting vegetables, washing cloths and what have you. A sensible decision that comes only with experience!

A delightful thread as usual Kamala. I am struggling to wipe out that smile that lasted for quite a while!
    Sri

2 people like this.
  6. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Good one Kamala ma'am, loved it :)
    Thanks to the fwd buttons and the movie slider, we are never forced to watch any song or fight sequence(no offense to music directors, choreographers, stunt masters or anyone).
    Luckily, times have changed and we no longer have to rent(or pay) any movies(regional ones especially) as they are available on the internet(good quality too if you have good streaming speed).
    One thing, we have decided, after so many disastrous/torturous(in terms of screen play, plot, star cast, why the whole movie itself) movies, is to read all the reviews, wait for friends, family, anyone and everyone to share their views, before we venture into sitting through for 2+ hours. These days, movies really need such strict scrutiny, that's how ridiculous and bad they are ;-)
    I love english movies though for the lack of ridiculous stunt sequences, villains or songs(and sensible screen play and characters of course), but, when I do end up with a rotten one, I fondly go back to our dear old regional movies no matter how insensible they are.

1 person likes this.
  7. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Kamala,
    We also had this same experience in many of the videos hired. We (mil and myself). Dh doesn't come near movies at all. I am not a movie buff either, but to give company to my mil..I used to watch it.
    After some movies/serials, you know what would come next, either the dialogue or the scene..I am adept in that you know :biggrin2:
    By the way, thank you for that invitation..I will be there..no matter, if it rains or shines or snows, in our part of the country :)

sriniketan

2 people like this.
  8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Blessed are these days awhen you can download the movies on your computer. No eed for VCRs or DVDs you get them absolutely free and good prints too! Believe it or not I downloaded many Oscar nominated movies even before they were released in India and that too damn good prints.

1 person likes this.
  9. tinku

tinku Silver IL'ite

Dear kamala,
    Hilarious write-up that reflects the experiences of many here.

Its a very true happening here for us here for the past few days. I can relate your activities very well to that of mine during the so-called planned movie watching. A bit tired of always watching the latest ones, me and my DH planned a few days back to buy cassettes of old ones and enjoy. But to my disappointment, the window closes by itself in some interesting scenes and the movie would come to an end.

Same as what you did, I too bought 3 cds and played them only to find that my hubby slept in the middle as it always got struck. And I didnt have the patience to continue after waiting for the cd to show mercy on us many times. And now-a-days we just download the movies and watch and avoid buying CDs.

1 person likes this.
  10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Aruna
    That is lovely that you want to watch a movie with me.
    :biglaugh:biglaugh..cutting board in the living room itself eh? You have warmed my heart.
    I still have my reservations about the song and dances Aruna. In Tamil movies these songs are done for group dances which to me are more like group aerobic exercises:)...somehow the elusive essence of love is taken away.
    Call me biased but nothing can compare to the old melodious songs expressing love – both Hindi and Tamil, with just the hero and heroine.
    Nowadays with streaming we watch a number of Hindi movies too – they have come a long way in the themes. I saw the movie starring Priyanka Chopra showcasing the lives of models (forgot the movie name:confused2:). I was going wow! Never could I have imagined these topics handled 20-25 years ago.

I enjoyed reading your movie watching experiences. Definitely very interesting how we expatriates hunger for this connection to our motherland through movies. I really wished you wrote more on it. I wouldn't have minded its length. Not at all.

Yes, those days it was very painful to be disappointed. Now, the quality is good and we get Indian TV, and with Netflix we can watch recent movies in all languages too.
    I totally agree that there are fabulous movies both new and old that we can tirelessly watch over and over again. Thank you for the wonderful feedback Aruna. :thankyou2: