1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Movie watching

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by kkrish, Dec 8, 2011.

1. omsrisai

omsrisai IL Hall of Fame

Kamala Ma..

It was quiet a hilarious one..its so sad to hear that watching movies went on such vain that you could not know what happened to Kamal and Sridevi.

Me and my dh watch movies on hbo or star movies during weekends and also some malayalam movies if we both like it.

If not i will be doing the cutting and cleaning of veggies and he will be watching movies

1 person likes this.
  2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Good write up Kamala!

Thank you Sabitha!

You speak of those days when it was so difficult to rent a decent video. Do you want to hear my experience here? I went recently to ask for the movie "kuch kuch hota hai " i think and I was told very politely by our dear Patel bro "sirf 3year old movie milega, usse bhi peeche too old"! Can you believe this is considered dated? Now to do on my next trip to India - to bring along a couple of evergreen movies, personally!!

Hahaha! "Kuch kuch Hota hai" is an "old" movie? Okay!!!Wonder if I will be relegated to a woman from the 19th century from the kind of movies I choose.

I am with you though! It's been some time since I have watched a good Hindi movie without taking a voluntary break! Most of the movies, I watch alone but what surprises me the most is my kids who only understand Kannada can sit glued to the TV when I am playing a Hindi movie! they have no clue about Hindi and I don't watch Kannada movies! I don't know what it is - so the days I pick for an Indian movies are getting quite rare. I need to think of the 3hrs you see if they are involved!

We get movies with subtitles so that our sons can understand better. They actually liked some good movies like Chandramukhi and mozhi where loopholes don't exist in story line.
    But they roar in laughter when the love songs are more group aerobic exercises, or the single hero fights heavy weight goondas and comes out without a scratch.
    One thing they hate is when a man hits a woman. Then both get angry and walk off; they simply hate it. Watching movies with our children is also another enjoyable experience.

Well well well, if you go to the table to cut vegetables when the movie breaks in to a song, I am only assuming the vegetables are chopped more finely (at least in proportion to what you are feeling) and I am afraid to think of that masala.... fine masala it is, literally what with all that pounding and grinding along with our hero in the movie!

:), :)! True the more "masala" the movie is the more finely ground the real masala will be. one can tell if the movies were good or boring form the amount of vegetables cut or consistency of the masala I think! :)

Well Kamala, you cannot get rid of me that easily! I will take up on that invitation - oh how I would love to eat that finely chopped vege preparation with even more finely ground masalas...and the added pleasure of watching you fold all that laundry murmuring 'seriously! all this for a marriage" Am I not signing up for a double treat Kamala? So keep that seat saved for me and to bring routine rituals to full force, i will arm myself with pop corn and soda and be there knocking on your door! So thank you for the invitation :)

Sure, you are most welcome. Along with the pop-corn and soda can you also bring some haldiram's son-papdi and deep-extra hot mixture form patel brothers? :)

Enjoyed your feedback very much Sabitha!

1 person likes this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Kamala....hope you will not mind my responding to Mrs.C here :)

Dear Mrs.C,

One, I am glad you like these movies too and two, now now you should not want me to long for a India trip before it is due! Is it fair? Anyways, that is one of the upsides of my India visits. I watch mindless movies on TV! For some reason I cannot sleep before 1 and am up promptly at 6! So I enjoy the movies in solitude! Heairng you speak of gadgets makes me want to go hide....I am yet to text :-( speaking of outdated, finally watched the movie Zindagi na milege in a theater after almost 15yrs with my SIL in my last India trip!

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Kamala,

rib tickling narration.

We never go to watch a movie in the theatre. ofcourse we broke our record of 15 years and went to one last year but i did not relish the reason being i could not do what you have described.

Though i don't watch many movies, if i watch any it is english, hindi, tamil and telugu in that order. married to a movie buff who loves sci-fi, nature movies i am so familiar with twisters, tornados and mutations. there are days he watches them and i am multitasking..if it is after dinner, i am chopping vegges, and if i finish that i am with my thread and crochet needle/knitting needles, oh and i am following the story line.

i think people have to survey women watching movies to understand the multitasking and why women are pro's.. .

oh, it is more fun to watch movies, with a group of like minded people, late night icecreams, and a last cup of tea...yeah that is how it is done at my home sometimes.. so you can join us. and we do stock wonderful nature movies and ofcourse some nice chick flicks..

Enjoyed thoroughly..

2 people like this.
  5. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

Kamala, I am still roaring with laughter after reading this !!

I watched this movie Abhiyum Naanum after months of it release as the story theme captured my attention when all my Tamil friends were discussing this. Me and DH do not go to the theatres quite often and would rather enjoy some comedy show for half hour and not more. I got influenced by all these talks and somehow got this DVD to watch but lo presto, the last 15 min of the movie was not even there.........what a big disappointment.

This is what we should expect when we try to watch movies .........just finish folding the clothes in the laundry basket, cut your weekly vegies and eat your popcorn !! teehee.....

Amazing writeup and am glad tonight to read something good before hitting the bed.........hahahahaha......

2 people like this.
  6. iyerponnu

iyerponnu Gold IL'ite

Kamala,

You have portrayed what goes on in my house to a 'T'... hilarious :) The chopping board and the laundry basket come out no matter what I watch on TV.. My husband is not a great fan of movies and poor me, is a big fan.. Few weeks before our wedding, he asked me if he needs to buy any DVDs.. I gave him a list, and he had not bought all, he did buy a few. The first day alone in the house, I found myself watching 'Kabhie Kushie Kabhie Gham' and soaking three handkerchieves.. Return the husband, worried that something is wrong with me. He was quite amused when I told him that the waterworks were the result of a nearly 4 hour long movie. He only shook his head and said that he could never understand movie buffs..

When Sun tv started airing here, I was so thrilled.... we installed the dish and there I was watching a lot of movies (be it good, great or down right silly), just because it was in my mother tongue.. and then came the day I started work, and away went the time to watch them.. and so away went the connection too. Today we have a huge number of channels on our Cable TV along with a good number of hindi channels.. and I thank Virgin Media for letting me record all my favourite programs..and watch them at leisure, with the smug pleasure that I can fast forward the adverts..;)

And yes, if your invite still stands, here I am taking the next flight to watch the movie with u... as long as you dont mind me chopping veggies throughout the movie, or folding clothes or even doing the ironing... All this will be put away to watch Friends though ;)

Mythili

2 people like this.
  7. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Dear K,

Bet after watching the Tamil movies nowadays you would have thought, "Was I worried for missing these ??".

Very humurous writeup as always! I can imagine how hard it would have been for you 2 decades back. You would have longed to hear some tamil words from outside.

Loved the poem!

You can do this for the entire movie and just pop in once in a while. Still you can fill in the blanks without missing any detail!

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl Correct-u Point-u

Enjoyed reading this post mam.. :)

ilt

1 person likes this.
  8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Krish,

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Who would want to watch a movie with u, when u were busy doing all the housework, mixie working, hahahahahaha.Superb one this.

i was the first one to get a VCR, and i had everyone coming over.And i felt important and it was fun. And i got a chance to watch all old english movies, like the sound of music, the guns of navorone, becket, and others, while everyone one was i nto action movies like rambo, and arnold ones. it was great while it lasted.

i still have that VCR in my office, and iw atch our home movies, of kamalji 20 year s back how handsome i looked then, haha. i watch my departed dad, the birthdays, and it is still fun. it is a panasonic NV 300, still works.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  9. Special

Special Silver IL'ite

Very nice write up...i thoroughly enjoyed reading the post :)
    I and my dh both love to watch movies...we watch all language movies with subtitles :)
    ofcourse he forwards the songs and i fold clothes :)

1 person likes this.
  10. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

hillarious post kamala. The rhyme is very nice. Here in our house the remote is with hubby's hand but he has got some magic in his fingers because whenever he surfs the channels he always end up with a good movie and I learnt to enjoy watching them with him. But when it comes to old tamizh movies, i am a loner and rarely i get an opportunity to watch them in peace. Yes i do have the same habit of doing things while watching (hearing) a movie. So more than watching it is hearing in my case.

So what movie did you watch recently? yes, i am ready to join you for a weekend movie :)

1 person likes this.