1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Movable room dividers- chennai

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by abathy, Apr 9, 2011.

1. abathy

abathy Bronze IL'ite

hi friends,
    can you give me ideas of movable room dividers? has anyone used such structures? are they available in chennai?
    we are planning to divide our hall and make a small pooja room that can be made bigger during functions by moving away the divider.

any suggestions are welcome.

thanks in advance

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Amba,

I have come across these rajasthani/gujarathi carved room dividers at victoria technical institute and it was costly,you can look at that.

but i recently came across a few patterns that i have saved in my system. i am planning to get a wood work person to make one for me, when i really want to do it, as i have just gone overboard with my home move budget.

you get glass, bamboo, wooden partitions apart from the aquariums that are also used as partitions if you have a big space.

Attached Files:

3. abathy

abathy Bronze IL'ite

Shanvy,
    Thanks a ton for those images and information.Bow
    I would prefer going in for something cheaper. Do let me know once you get that divider done and how much it came to.

thanks again.

4. Mahanu

Mahanu Silver IL'ite

Check up with furniture show rooms. Either they may be selling them or will atleast tell you where they may be available. Also, they may be available in some big shops selling handicraft items.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Amba,
    I heard you get bamboo partitions at tiruvanmiyur near the bus stop there is a group that makes curtains. you can custom make one there.

I am looking at something unique that reflects the ambience in my home. so i prefer custom made. my wood work person is booked for the next one year. he has told me to give him some time to sit and discuss this. will give you the quote and also the picture when i am done.

i love the rose and teak wood dividers but it occupies space and also is costly.

6. abathy

abathy Bronze IL'ite

shanthi(just found out your name!), thanks for the information again. i shall make a trip there too. the last i was at thiruvanmiyur was almost 5 years back and i don't remember anyone making curtains. but times change, so will check that. also, i was wondering if you had any idea of the "vetti var" curtains? i was told that they help to keep the room cool if i have a curtain and wet it. is that so?

mahanu - my next try is furniture showrooms. i am quite apprehensive about the handloom people mainly because of the cost involved. i have not planned a budget, but i can't spend much too.!!

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Yes amba, vetti vaer curtains do keep the home cool. but again with the pollution, there is risk of all the dirt getting stuck to the vaer and also not being original. but you can ask the same bamboo curtain makers, they will know. even some of the curtain people, do the bamboo curtains for the balconies, somebody i know recently ordered a 6x4 curtain that cost 1500rs i think.I definitely have seen the curtains, done there even last month.

8. abathy

abathy Bronze IL'ite

great shanthi.. i really don't know how to thank you, thank you, thank you :bowdown. all this information without running around(for me). with all my time dedicated to taking care of my 1year old, it is very difficult for me to go out and find things. this information has helped me a lot. will check out and let you know once i find out.

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

you are welcome amba.i share what i know.

10. aimajohnny

aimajohnny New IL'ite

Here you are, the best movable room dividers. In the walls and movable dividers partitions, this is done by controlling the sound transmission loss. At present, the most widely accepted acoustic performance ranking standards are STC or Rw. The sound transmission class is a two-digit number that describes the laboratory performance of a single building element that prevents sound transmission when passing through.