Mountain Metaphor In Learning: Seek The Balloon And Ramp

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Novalis, May 26, 2019.

1. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

What is a complex number? a+ib
    What is i? Square root of -1.
    So, what is the complex number? a+ (Square root of -1)(b).
    So what is conjugate complex? a-ib

I laugh at me today that I even secured cent in mathematics once by memorizing that awful understanding of complex plane. Complex numbers should never be taught that way. Never! Never! A student like me would rejoice at 100/100 that is (10+0i)(10-0i) = 100 and celebrate that progress card with clueless parents never figuring out the tangible representation of that egotist "i" in that equation. Welch Labs nailed it!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    Amulet likes this.
  2. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

We always seek an anchor in our life to steady us each time we wobble, for some it could be scriptures, to others the self-help secret by Rhonda Byrne. And to the rest who have not yet claimed the guiding scriptures or secret, there's special relativity.

The dusted attempt I revised my relativity grasp, I was stunned, thereafter each time I discovered a retelling of the cosmic puzzle, I was re-stunned.

The conventional narrative of relativity bolstered with speeding trains in referential frames and with alice and bob airships abruptly culminating in twin paradoxes is brassy but unyielding. I have scanned eye-watering tutorials and piecemeal clips with relativity briefing but none match the aptitude and style and visualization of the below tutorials. I joke with my friends that I have sieved much signal from noise that I can write a book not on relativity but things to watch to appreciate the enigma of relative motion. The bonus in understanding relativity is the cocktail insight that the cosmic limit is not determined by the speed of light but light happens to be travelling at the cosmic limit which is the fastest path that information could be transmitted. In fact, relativity is not solely about the propagation of the glowing light the way we observe, it's finer in modelling and of paradigm shift in scope.

The below playlists outline the maths and physics behind the relativity for common audience. I chirp about that if a tutorial could demystify something for me then it must be extraordinarily facilitating for others as I reel over grasping abstract concepts. The tutorials integrate premise and consequences of special relativity, rather the turn of physics since Einsteinian physics toppled Newtonian physics.

I don't know why I am so fond of listening and reading incessantly on special relativity, my anchor to hold me together when displaced. In wobbly times, I simply switch on a random tutorial on relativity and brighten up. Many read scriptures and secret for hope to survive but I prefer 'relativity' to assert the insignificance of my puny upheaval. Each time, umpteenth time, for that one last time, relativity still captivates me, the beauty and the consistency of it all.

We anguish over the discrepancy in our minuscule sensory perception yet oversight the regularity in conservation of the endless and undisclosed reality.

Overall, my favourite physics topic is relativity, esp, the foundational special relativity over general relativity.

3. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Classical Music Awareness

I was rummaging in the library for Robert Kanigel's "The Man Who Knew Infinity" adapted into a film of the same name featuring Dev Patel as Srinivasa Ramanujan.

As ill-luck would have it, the book was checked out just the previous day. I sighted a nearby book "Vintage Reading: From Plato to Bradbury" by the same author. I enjoy reading unseized books of popular authors probing the underwhelmingness of such books evidenced by their availability. The book is a compilation of canonical reads for an educated mind. I briefly riffled through the contents, pausing at chapters that interested me.

Mira is often teased by Kartik that she has the education but lacks the sophistication of a learned woman. Mira bristles at that taunt and vows to read off another book to spite Kartik. Kartik is bewildered by the reading fad of Mira. Yet, his ill-fated barb always works in Mira's favour.

Mira oftens ponders ..wish there was an anthology on musical compositions. The must-knows for an educated mind grooming on sophistication.

To others floating in the same flute, luckily there's not preciously one but many tutorials of Robert Greenberg, the goto for musical induction.

My personal favourite is Music As A Mirror of History though I have enjoyed consistently his other courses on classical orchestral awareness.

Amulet likes this.
  4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

For TV and smaller format screen addicted generations, the video clips of classes could be more impactful than actually sitting in a classroom gallery looking at some enthu-cake going on about pKa of weak acids while pacing in the teacher's pit at the bottom.

For mums with children in summer holidays, this would be a thread to borrow small movie clips and pass them on to them to enjoy. Learning when there are no exams on them is a unique fun.

5. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

skim through this web page.
    A GENTLE INTRODUCTION TO

One southindian musician attempted to anthologize songs (both classical and filmi) on the basis of the raaga they were sung in. And her television show (one Raaga per episode) was on for a few years. I cannot recall what channel. Here is Malkauns/Hindolam I used to watch the show also for appreciating her jewellery and outfits:hmmm:.

6. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

So, so true and well articulated @Novalis.

upto standard 8: loved math due to 1 teacher (T1)
    standard 9 to standard 12 + undergrad: hated math. rote-learned for grades.
    grad: hated and then started loving it due to 2 professors. (P1 and P2)

I remember solving so many Eigen vector and Eigen value problems in undergrad and not recalling a bit when I had to use it. And then later when P1 (who was all about math anecdotes!) introduced it to us - I had goosebumps throughout the lesson. He used his hand and body and the space in front of the class - to get our imaginations to see these Eigen vectors and values - and I remember walking back after class with a smile plastered on my face - eigen, eigen, eigen. I have promptly forgotten the concepts now many years after that class, but I can't forget the feeling of satisfaction on truly understanding something.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019