Mothers with kids in Indian schools in KG1 and KG2 and OR nurseries.

Discussion in 'Schools/Playgroups/Daycares in Abu Dhabi' started by SumiD, Jul 12, 2010.

1. SumiD

SumiD New IL'ite

my son is now 2yrs and 7 months old. He was attending playschool (while we were in dubai) for a few months and then we stopped after having moved to Abu Dhabi 3 months ago.

All indian schools here start accepting kids at 3 years in KG1.
    So I am confused.... should I put him in pre school now till he is almost 4 and let him join a proper school in KG1 when he is 4yrs and 4 months (april 2012)

OR, should I go ahead and keep him at nursery now.. till March 2011 and then put him in KG1 in April 2011?
    Mothers with kids in Indian schools in KG1 and KG2. when did you put ur kid in KG... what age? Did they find it taxing, i mean they are just 3 years old and slightly above...?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010

2. SumiD

SumiD New IL'ite

When I discussed the above with my mum, she felt that I was simply delaying my son. If I put him in KG1 the year after the next, he would be 4yrs and 4 months in april.
    So what do I do?

Also we may move back to dubai in 2-3 years max. So, I would like to be sure I do not end up putting him in too many schools in a short time.

Playschool > then a school for KG1&2 > then to Dubai (hopefully) for grade1 onwards.

3. pathak2610

pathak2610 Bronze IL'ite

Hi SumiD

I think since ur kid's been going to playschool previously, you can let him enjoy that again. and please dont put him in KG1 before the age of 3.5

Let him enjoy playgroup.

I think you try Little Buds nursery. they are pretty good with small kids. or try to get some other good playgroup - but make sure they are really soft with kids that age.

Some of the Nurseries in AUH can be pretty bad. ( i had a bad experience with my son as i was new here & i put him in the only nursery i could find & who was giving admission - Asian International Nursery - they were v.v.harsh & i regret that i sent my son there.)

Take care

4. sansam

sansam New IL'ite

Dear Sumi,I have 2 daughters,one in Std 9 and the other one in std 2 in St.Joseph School.I put my elder daughter in KG 1 when she was 3 years and 4 months.She is December born.She went straight to Kg 1 in ICK.She did not attend any play school or pre nursery.For the first 2-3 months she found writing a bit difficult but was okay in other activities.In grade 1 put her in St.Joseph School.My second one started school when she was 3 years and 2 months old.She is February born.She went to Noah's ark for Kg 1.She had difficulty in writing for almost first 6 months.This was mainly due to her small age and also she is a left hander.So it was very difficult to make her write.But she was very good at reading and oral tests.The reason I put her to school early was that I was planning to put her in St.Joseph in Grade 1.There they are strict about the age of admission.If the kid has crossed 4 years of age by march 15 of the same year,they will not put in KG 1.Some school are liberal on the age limit.So just find what rules are there in the school you plan to put your kid and do accordingly,.All the Best.

5. lsraj

lsraj New IL'ite

I just happened to see you message today and being a child psychologist, I thought it only apt to just give a personal opinion of mine on your predicament. More than the' eligibility criteria' set by educational institutions with a money minting hidden motive, its up to the parents to read the readiness of the child, in your case ,a lovable toddler.Preschools were unheard of decades ago...important to mention that those youngsters of the yesteryears have turned out to be intelligent capable global citizens. Its not a grave opportunity missed or an important feat lost if your child does not fit in kindergarten at a specified age..only the minimum age limit needs to be followed, above 4 most kids can start kindergarten. A few months discrepancy ahead does not matter. All kids are inherently capable and have high aptitude levels..only the venue of their skill display varies. Taxing a poor toddler on capital ABCs and D' Nealian scripts when its just 3 is worth putting on a thinking cap.

1 person likes this.