1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

mosquito coils and liquidators

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Priyathama, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Priyathama

Priyathama Gold IL'ite

Do the mosquito repellants like coils, liquidators and creams have ill effects on us?
    There may be so many side effects, I feel giddy and tired when i get up if liquidator is used that night. In the case of coil , it suffocates. Nowadays i use bats and "sambrani" still a few mosquitoes do remain in knooks and corners.I think of using nets.

2. cedantseq

cedantseq New IL'ite

well i heard it does, what are the other options, i tried mosquito nets and creams but all are for short duration. in mosquito nets, if the mosquitoes gets inside, it is more problem, so i want to add the supplements to mosquito coils and liquidators if any

1 person likes this.
  3. padmapriya1

padmapriya1 Gold IL'ite

i tried various options like what u told but nothing works out & finally ended using mosquito nets for my bed and i sleep peacefully now.
    the cheap and effective prevention i would say :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Priyathama

Priyathama Gold IL'ite

I think the breeze will be less if bed net is used and we will be sweating in between our sleep.

5. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

One just cant get rid of mosquitoes at all. No matter how hard we try, there are always few around and those can be the most irritating ones!
    We got our full house netted last year...complete with net-doors, windows, exhaust fan openings and bathroom ventilators, but we still end up chasing them with a bat!
    I usually switch on the Goodnight Liquidator an hour before bedtime. I close all the windows and doors. When its time to sleep, I just switch it off and open the windows.

1 person likes this.
  6. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

all chemically prepared repellants do have some ill effects on our health. The impact increase if one is allergic to it. You can fix nets to windows and opening in doors. We did that and that way it is more safe. Just don't open the main door during 5.30 to 8.30 pm (if possible) as that is the time when musquitoes are more active. If it is your own house and if you can afford, special netted windows are also available which provides ventilation and prevent musquitoes from entering.

Go for natural repellants. If you love plants collect the leaves of Omavallai / ajwain plant leaves which if burnt will also help you get rid of musquito.

Even a plant called 'nochi' in tamizh (you can google for it) is also burnt to get rid of musquitoes.

Keep the house clean with regular dusting. never let any clothes pile up unecessarily. check & clean the junk deposits at home. Dark places are the favourite spots of musquitoes. Don't grow much plants inside the house. If you are a plant lover, then spray little neem oil mix with water (but don't know whether it will suit every plant) to get rid of musquitoes.

never let any water stagnate.

Clean environment also will keep the muquitoes away

7. quantSundar

quantSundar Junior IL'ite

I am using creams these days in addition to sleeping inside nets. The mosquitoes find their way into my house through gaps meant for exhaust fans. I have researched a bit on this subject . There was this article which suggested that increasing garlic intake to keep mosquitoes at bay. I tried it once. It didn't work .Maybe I had very little of it.

Once I ran out of the cream and I used eucalyptus oil instead. It was as effective as the cream. I agree to the most of mimur9's suggestions. But I would desist from burning anything.

I will also be interested in novel methods of tackling this problem.It isn't malaria, dengue or chickungunya that I am afraid of. Its filariasis that I am concerned about. I have not come across a person affected by filaria in years. Still it gives me jitters when I think about it.

nakshatra1, mimur9 and Priyathama like this.
  8. Ishika84

Ishika84 Silver IL'ite

Sometime I use the liquid one

9. Priyathama

Priyathama Gold IL'ite

Now a days i am using moisturising lotion and mind you it is working, i have Himalaya's intense moisturising lotion and vasline also either the moisture or the fragrance may be keeping the mosquitoes away from.any how it works so i wanted to share this piece of new information with you. Please try it give me a positive feedback

1 person likes this.
  10. RadiantFlower

RadiantFlower Platinum IL'ite

I've tried everything that's been mentioned on this thread....yet those blood-sucking monsters keep me up most nights. Summers are such a pain because of them.