1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

mosquito bites on15 day old

Discussion in 'Infants' started by loonypooh, Oct 21, 2009.

1. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

seems like mozzies have targetted LO... anythiing that i can safely use on her??

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

mosquito net :)

Haribhaktanchal likes this.
  3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

The new Odomos natural lotion? ( I used J & J but I know you dont like J&J so..).

V.

4. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

vanathi, i was thinking of using mosquito repellent after few more months, when she has grown a little... i guess i can only use a mosquito net for now?

reading this on babycenter worried me even more ... about using repellent on her:hide:

Is it safe to use a mosquito repellent cream on my two-month old baby?

Our paediatrician, Dr Balan advises that it is safer to avoid applying mosquito repellent creams and lotions on babies less than six months of age. The chemicals in the repellents could be harmful and may cause an allergic reaction when it comes in contact with the baby's delicate skin. Also these chemicals may get absorbed when directly applied on the skin and may cause toxic reactions.

According to her, baby mosquito nets and natural or herbal remedies are safer till the baby is older. She suggests lighting Citronella candles to ward off mosquitoes in your baby's room.

However, if you would still prefer using some repellent, Dr Balan suggests applying it to the baby's clothes or the bedding. Also while applying it to the baby's clothes, ensure that you do not apply the cream in areas (such as cuffs) where the baby can put the cloth in her mouth.

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Pooh, they say non-DEET is fine with children. But most repellants are DEET based. J and J makes non-DEET stuff, but if every J and J product were to give one an allergy, just a mosq net will do.
    I have severe allergies to the aerosol repellents and to vaporiser types. So we ended up using a net very effectively till DS started moving around. Then we moved to citronella based nimit (most nilgiris have it). But the only thing that has helped us keep mozzies in check is clearing out every undergrowth near our home and using mosquito nettings on all windows and doors (like a screen door). The house is now fairly free of mozzies and the rest we zap with that electric bat. Himalayas mosquito repellant when we are outdoors. But I am not sure it is safe for newborn.

6. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Poonam,

I just read an clipping that using of baby oil helps repelling the mosquitoes away...just check on the same.

sindmani likes this.
  7. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Poonam - The new Odomos is supposed to have Citronella and aloe vera - havent checked the label though. If you dont have a problem with the vapourizer things you can use something like AllOut - we've used that ever since A was born and still do. But then we are a very "unallergic" family. Mosquito nets are the safest but my baby would never sleep under one so I had to give up.

V.

8. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Poonam,
    I lived on the ground floor in an area where mosquitos swarm into the house when Aravindh was a newborn. As Aravindh was premei, mosquito repellents and lotions were a no-no. I used a large mosquito net and it was really helpful.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
    sindmani likes this.
  9. jyothimondry

jyothimondry New IL'ite

Try this tip

To get rid of mosquitoes at night: Keep leaves of mint near your bed or pillows and in around the room.

10. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Poonam, Nilu too doesn't sleep under mosquito nets. Krithika had suggested applying diluted citronella oil in a thread. Didn't get that. So am using 2-3 drops of lemon grass oil mixed in coconut oil as a base on Nilu. Quite effective, but needs reapplication though.