1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Montessori Vs Daycare

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Bubbles, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Bubbles

Bubbles Silver IL'ite

Hi all!
    Planning send ~3yr old to daycare/playschool. Basically to keep LO fruitfully occupied while I study full-time. Are there any distinct advantages/disadvantages of Montessori over institutional daycare eg:KinderCare, TutorTime etc ?
    This is only temporary, we are not planning to continue in Montessori.
    I personally feel Montessori helps children learn through exploration and self-discovery. And daycares usually have teacher-centric learning. But here in US, the difference doesn't appear significant.

Given this option, what would you choose and why?
    Anybody in Montessori who found a significant difference?

I am not sure if this is the correct place for this thread, moderators please move it as appropriate..

anika987 likes this.

2. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

i think montessori has slightly different style of caring teaching. They mix in kids of certain age range and they believe it helps them.
    Younger learn from older and older learn to care.
    I do not have experience but some experienced friends believed in montessori style so had put their kid there.
    For me, its more about distance and ease to pick up. Kids adjust everywhere.

Bubbles, anika987 and Rihana like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Very true. Distance, flexibility in timings, reasonably clean place, teachers not quitting the daycare very often, and maybe do they warm up food sent from home. If child is newly potty trained, check their policy about accidents.

The rest, kids only do cutting, pasting, singing, blocks, puzzles, reading, circle time, playing, outside play, bathroom. Is the same everywhere.

startinganew, Bubbles and messedup like this.
  4. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

Montosory because they have many activities, kids teacher ratio is very good. Kids learn form older kids. Have outdoor activity. For older kids help to learn things with playing. Encourage kids to improve social skills. Teachers are very friendly with kids.

Bubbles and anika987 like this.
  5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Montessori any day after 3 or 4 max..
    Saw a great difference in reading and writing for my kid within 3 months..
    however,check out three to 4 montessori before choosing the best..

Bubbles likes this.
  6. Bubbles

Bubbles Silver IL'ite

Thank you all.. the montessori school we checked had a separate class for 2s-3s. They don't mingle with the other kids. Daycares seem good too. I prefer the student-led learning of the montessori though daycares here are also quite kid-friendly and not all that top-down..hmmmm