1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Montessori Syllabus

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by kavithat, Nov 15, 2016.

1. kavithat

kavithat New IL'ite

I was looking for school admissions for my son and went to some Montessori schools for enquiry. They have told me that they will teach in Montessori method till the age of 11yrs but my question is whether children will be able to manage with the cbse or icse syllabus? because the syllabus is entirely based on books and people who are good in memorising will score good marks in their 10th or 12th std.
    Has anybody put their children in Montessori schools .please share your experience and views

KashmirFlower likes this.

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Research more about the particular school. montessori is great for over all development of a child and I'm certain kids would be and be to ramp up later on even to the narrow demands of cbse and icse.

From what I hear though my concerns were reverse - I understand many schools which claim to be montessori for primary, start fitting into the main stream by standard 2 or 3. Though they still use montessori methods and let kids experience the lesson from a multi sensory perspective, it wasn't what you'd classify as purely montessori.

You would get a better idea speaking to the parents of kids studying in the particular school you are considering.

kavithat likes this.
  3. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

@kavithat, Welcome to Indusladies!

CBSE and ICSE syllabi have progessed quite a bit since our time. They do not encourage rote memorisation, is what I gather from my friends. Then there are progressive schools which try their best to prevent regurgitation. So it shouldn't be an issue.

Montessori is a good system of education, but not the only good one. Specifically you need to make sure that your child is attuned to this philosophy. A child that does not listen to instructions or that wants to experiment on their own might find the environment chafing. Contrary to public perception, kids are subject to decent amount of disciplining.

Make sure you do adequate research about the school, talk to parents who send their kids there, visit the school and talk to principal and teachers. Google and educate yourself about this system to make sure you understand and evaluate the school well.

Last of all, just because a school has the montessori tag, it does not mean its a great school. A non-montessori school might fulfil your kids' needs too, if they have enough access to learning-by-doing methodology.

Sparkle and kavithat like this.
  4. kavithat

kavithat New IL'ite

thanks for ur valuable inputs