1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Monkeying Around With Future

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Sep 21, 2017.

1. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswa Sir - I am neither a language expert nor political. I am afraid that I can't be of much help to your query. But will try to put my views in to words.

The Thamizh word 'Paar' indeed represents the world. The question to why the words 'Paaraalumandram' and 'Paaraalumandra Uruppinar' have come to represent the Parliament and its members- I think about the Sanskrit sentence 'Svadesa Bhuvanath Thrayam' meaning 'one's own country/nation is equivalent to all the worlds'. So 'Paaraalumandram' is a grand way of representing the office of elected representatives of the country which governs its administration. 'Almandram' means governing body.

The Thamizh word 'Naadu' not only represents a bigger geographical location but also that of a smaller ones. It usually means a dwelling place of people with same ethnic, cultural and linguistic background not necessarily all of them at the same time. Now a days 'Naadu' is mostly a political word of representing a nation.You might recall that Tamilnadu once was politically divided in to many 'Naadu'- Chola,Chera,Pandiya,Pallava,Thondainaadu. Interestingly they were also called'Mandalam' which means region. The wiki definition of 'Naadu' can also be viwed here

However the word 'Naadaalumandram' also represents the Parliament and not the state assembly. The Thamizh word that is used to represent the State Assembly is mostly 'Sattasabai' Where 'Sattam' means Law.and more Thamizh equivalent of the Sanskrit word Sabai meaning Assembly is Avai. So the word 'Sattapperavai' is used.'Peravai' again is a grand way of representing the Assembly/council of great, wise, men and women. Alternatively the word 'Sattamandram' is also used. 'Mandram' also represents a decorated group of people. As the word 'Sattam' is predominant in all the words, they can be loosely translated to ' a place where laws are enacted or the place where lawful governance of people takes place. And the people who are elected to this State Assembly are called 'Sattamandra Uruppinar'. Uruppinar means member.

There was another political office in Tamilnadu too which was Members of Legistative Council, MLC- SattaMelavai Uruppinar. In India only 7 states have this Legistative council. The Tamilnadu Legistative Council 'Satta Melavai' was declared to be dissolved permenantly by former Chief Minister M.G.Ramachandran, in the year 1986 if I am not wrong. That was again an assembly to appease the old Zamindars and other influential rich persons of the society by electing them to office.It is more like our 'Raajya Saba' which again is a puzzle in itself.

In reality, the Assembly is neither a group of Wise Great People nor all that takes place in it is lawful. Most of the elected members are corrupt, many on the way with only a small number of members being honest and duty conscious. The people who elected such a council is also partially to be blamed. What will they do if all of the available contestants in an election are culprits? So they choose the better among the worst.

Again coming to your query for a word to represent Parliament- the words 'Paaraalumandram and Naadalumandram have now been successfully replaced by the word 'Makkalavai' where 'Makkal' means people. As per Abraham Lincoln Democracy is a government "of the people, by the people, for the people" so the office of the elected members who represent the people of this country or any nation for that matter, is rightly to be called 'Makkalavai' Avai again meaning Assembly/Council of great wise men and women. And the Members of Parliament are called 'Makkalavai Uruppinar'

The words that represent these political offices and people representatives are beautiful and decorated but is the Parliament or the Assembly and its elected members qualified and dignified ? A question to ponder.

Sorry for a long reply. Thank you.

Regards,
    Pavithra

2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I enjoyed that!:wink1:
    Viswa, following the latest trends in Bihar, I have persuaded Pavithra to take my exams for me!:lol:

PavithraS, Balajee and Viswamitra like this.
  3. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

4. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

We all write on the internet asking for someone else to fight, then everyone becomes internet warrior :)

5. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

The internet warriors are a peaceful lot. :)
    A quote from an old sitcom, The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin:
    Reggie:
    ... OK, that's enough. Ladies and gentlemen. You see, we become what we do. You show me a hero who makes fondue tongs, and I'll show you a happy man who earns his living perforating lavatory paper. "But what do YOU believe in?" I hear you ask. Do I hear you ask? Well I'll tell you anyway: I know that I don't know. I believe in not believing. You see, for every man who believes something, there's somebody who believes the opposite. What's the point? How many wars would have been fought, how many people would have been tortured if nobody ever believed in anything? Have you ever heard of 'The Wars of the Apathetic'? Or 'the persecution of the apathetic by the bone idle'?

The video version:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Paralumanram is grossly exaggerated. Nadalumanram means parliament. Here it is just a bit of pun between "Bar" and "Paar" (In tamil this is possible as "P" and "B are interchangeable sounds.

7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

True facebook and twitter have created massive armed forces cutting across national. political and religious divide.

8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

True they are peaceful except when sending trolls.

9. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

There are people who are extremely wary of writing anything even on the internet for fear of the powers that be! So that is at least a start.

Balajee and Nonya like this.