1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Money's role after marriage.

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by tanoshii, May 6, 2009.

1. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

[justify]In married life, especially when you are a housewife, how do you interpret Financial Independence? I see so many threads here, many women in bad marriages, feeling helpless without any monitory support. From not having access to bank accounts and not knowing the husband's investment plans, not knowing how much you have left for your future. Not having a bank account of your own and never having that extra money of your own when needed the most all construe as part of insecurity.

But are they really??? There are so many factors influencing each scenario starting from how we perceive the concept. Financial stability is a necessity but "how much" also matters. Right?

How about we discuss here the basic norms and needs, how to save and secure your own future and be independent enough when in the worst of times?? (God forbid!!) I guess it will be a good way to boost ourselves and not feel poor and penniless in tough times!!

Let me start...
    I had a very comfortable life all through my life with my parents. They were quite strict about our behavior, independence and responsibilities. And that included money matters too. Though finance was never a problem in the family, they were quite strict about how we learn to respect the limited supply. I never felt insecure then!! I am now a housewife. Have been for the past 6 years. No kids yet. Have never worked in my life, so didn't have a bank balance till recently. After marriage, I myself agreed to be a housewife, I started going through a number of rough days with hubby, money being the reason in many cases. And all the insecurity rushed in!!

Though he used to be a spendthrift, he became so cautious and so calculative after marriage. I started feeling the strain slowly but believed in personal space and privacy. I kept quiet and let him run things his way. Plus we were still strangers so I did not want to push things and ruin anything. That went on for almost a year and I never thought it culd get any worse.

It did when we through I got pregnant. Though it was a false alarm, that scared the roots out of my husband and he got more tight. He'd question me about everything I bought. I'd actually feel guilty for getting something for myself, even if it was a tiny snack while I was hungry. This feeling got overwhelming and a bit scary, so I indirectly told my parents about it. My mother has been working for quite a while and she believes in women having a career for financial independence. She advised that I should find myself a job and learn to manage things even if he was not going to support me. But fortunately or unfortunately, I am not like her.

I don't believe in changing for someone when you don't need to. Adjusting and chaging are two very different things you see. I refused to go to work unless needed, and need to me meant the salary he gets would not suffice for a decent survival. That was not the case here. It was time to have the talk and set things right. Fortunately he was all ears, and we agreed on some terms to make things better and good for each other.

We opened an expense account recording our daily expenditures. He still does question me about my purchases, and I explain what it is and that is it!! No extra thoughts on why he's asking about it. Over time he understood I was NOT throwing away money. If I manage to save anything, that is the money I've earned for myself. Even though its just a drop, a bunch of it can make a puddle. And I've never bothered to announce about it to him cos it was just my effort.

He has his allowance to buy his stuff and I have my separate allowance for my craft stuff. I know my supplies don't even cost as much as a fraction of his, but I prefer giving him the advantage as long as things are smooth.

We both learned to respect each other's needs and personal space. I never asked him for a monthly report on his bank balance. He never asked me how much I spent on my personal care, and we both know it should never be over the spending limits that we set. When we have a big expenditure coming up, we know we have to discuss about it.

Neither of us encourages spending for others who have enough unless its a necessity. That might sound rude, but its always dutch when we go out. If at all we had to entertain someone, I personally preferred serving a nice home cooked meal with a nice cozy relaxed evening at home. Its not for the money part...its for the real-warmth-in-the-relation part!

We don't believe in getting each other gifts. We know we love each other anyway. And my gift to him is usually a surprise dinner with all his favorite dish.

My parents have given me enough jewelery and they continue to give me money gifts for birthdays, anniversaries, Diwali, Pongal, Karthigai and so on. I once told them they did not have to do that for me. But the reason they gave was just too good!! They explained that these were the traditions that have prevailed for long cos the parents want the girl to feel secure. When in need she was at full liberty to sell the gold and silver and use the money for herself!! That is how much parents work to keep their children happy where ever they are!! The money I receive from them or from any other family member is basically stashed away for special occasions. I use it to buy gifts for my parents and brother and other close members of my family from this saving. Or just buy a new year gift for the house, something which we'd not call a necessity to be spent on from our daily budget.

And most important of all, we both agreed to be responsible spenders. Impulsive shoppers sounds nice, but that rarely happens in my home. My parents taught me one thing that will stay with me for ever. The crux of responsible spending lies in just one question - Do you really need it??? This is the one question you ask yourself when you go shopping especially if it involves a considerable amount and if its something you can live without. You just have to honestly answer yourself - yes or no!! When its a no, that is the final verdict. Of course that does not mean a strict no to any luxury. You just have to know how much to spend on what.

Make plans to save a percentage of your income, both of yours put together or just yours. Just keep it away and use it only when in need. Keep a security deposit in your home. Something that you might need at short notice in case of an emergency.
    I prefer giving him the right to take decisions on investments. And I don't question him or nag him on this topic. Over time he gained trust in me and started telling me about things himself. I really didn't mind being quiet and being kept in the background till then.

Men like to have an upper hand in running the family. And as long as they are given the privileged they are happy. Else they can get childishly competitive and cranky and hard to manage. Its true women end up making many sacrifices and compromises while running a family. Though the men wear the pants, we are silent partners and have equal responsibility and authority on things. And its after all for everyone's good. But when we are not allowed the right and put down beyond limits, its definitely worth fighting for. Its all about the mutual understanding and respect we share. A little bit of patience, confidence and trust you show will be duly reciprocated.

I know its a real long post and sounds quite boring ...But just wanted to share...and know what others have to say...[/justify]

Last edited: May 6, 2009

2. harinisripada

harinisripada Gold IL'ite

Wow... most of the things that you say are correct in terms of discussing finance matters between couples...

But most important part here is the understanding of the husband that whether the wife is working or not working, there should be a separate income (allowance or spending money) for her and she should be included as co-owner or nominee in all investments, shares and bank accounts and also that she should be consulted or at least informed before any major expenditures...

Also, couples should discuss and understand each others financial goals
    and have "HIS", "HERS" and "OURS" money separately.

Do check out my post on Complete Financial Planning - IndusLadies for information on how couples can discuss and calculate their financial goals.

3. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Hi there harinisripada,

Thanks for your feedback. And wow, you've written it all down quite elaborately!! I agree women need to know about the financial planning in the house. I started with some simple stuff in homes where you can start with things you can fit in easily especially where hubbies are not so cooperative, and you've covered the entire thing in a more professional perspective.
    :thumbsup:bowdown
    And it sure is good to know so many points that many of us otherwise miss out on..
    I would like to hear from others too..especially small household ideas to save just for yourself.

Another tip from me. I just spoke to my husband and opened a bank account in which I deposit about 10K a month for monthly expenses for the house. As and when I need money, I don't ask him anymore. And while that counts as a current account, I also opened a small RD on the side linked to this account. The interest part is mine while the principal is for the house hold expenses.

4. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

In my family, I do not have money issues in day-to-day activities.
    Like I can use freely credit card for the shopping or whatever and my husband doesn't ask or object anything and I get involved in all financial matters and I also joint owner in US and NRI bank accounts.
    But one thing bothering me lot is we did some land purchases in India.
    When we buy first 2 lands my husband got chance to go India and did the registration on his name. But when we are buying 3 land we asked my family members to do the registration by giving GPO and that time I asked my husband to include my name on the registration paper and he got such a mad about that and I am not sure what is the reason behind it and we both work and we almost invested all of our money for buying property in India. After that incident again we buy another property and he brought just on my name. He doesn't believe buying the property especially in India on both of us. Still I don't know the reason and he said it's unethical to women to ask this. Anyhow I don't have any major concerns in my marriage and my DH takes good care of us and takes good care of kids and also he said in case of divorce both the parties get equally.
    Any inside thoughts on this?

5. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

Not agreeing for joint ownership, IMO, is probably because he wants to have flexibility in selling off the property if he needs to sell them. Other than this I don't see why he should have a problem.

6. harinisripada

There's surely nothing unethical about women asking for joint ownership... it may just be a wild reason thrown out in the heat of the moment...

As your DH has bought another property in your name too, do ask him the intricacies of buying joint property without mentioning the unethical part etc...

Also, if not in the registration papers, it should be in nomination papers or the will.

7. harinisripada

Thanx for your feedback Tanoshii..

Thats a good idea to have your DH transfer 10K for expenses... that way you dont have to ask permission for each and everything... and if anything is left, you can save that money too...

My DH has a purse at home on his shelf ... I just take money from that.. he will check (I dont know when and how often!!) and keep refilling with Rs 3000 every time it is empty, except 1st of the month he will put Rs 5000...

Whenever he has access to my purse, he will transfer some 10s, 20s and 50s so that I dont have to look for change (as I travel around by autos!)...

As monthly savings go directly from his account to my account through online transfer, I set it up so it transfers 1000rs extra every month... So, if I am outside, I can withdraw from ATM ...

I also have a credit card that I again pay from my account using the extra 1000rs/month... although I dont use the card often... and I pay it off the same month, so it doesnt incur any interest...

I use the computer a lot for banking, billing and investments... I do everything online, so it is easier to keep track and also no running around...

BTW, really enjoyed all the photos in your craftwork album... superb work, beautiful, artistic and wow !!! I'll never be able to do it... Your talent is awesome!!!

Regards
    Harini

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  8. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

nice discussion here...

We have never looked at our expenses so closely like tracking our daily expenses, etc.. Though we dont spend much on us, we still end up emptying our bank balances somehow.. I am not sure where we went wrong.. But for past few days, we are feeling the pinch! Other than buying assets (few lands here and there), we do not have any liquid cash as savings, say for any emergencies or any big expenditure (like for initial payment of a new house). So we are very worried.

Inspired from Harini article on Financial planning, I have started a budget planner and me and DH will fill into it every day (just planned to). I am trying to set aside money for each future expense (like kids education, our retirement, new house, etc). I hope we have a reasonable amount saved before it is too late!

9. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

one more thing - Harini, your inputs on that financial planning was so apt for any couple..

To tell you the truth, some points in that was like slapping on my face for not giving importanct to it! :(

Better late than never! We have started woprking on it.

10. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Vasu and harinisripada

Last edited: May 8, 2009