1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Money - Sibling

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by star90, May 22, 2018.

1. star90

star90 Senior IL'ite

Hello ladies,
    I am a bit confused . My father, mother and sibling all three have the habit of borrowing money from each other. They borrow from me as well. We are all working. My income is not steady though.
    My sibling borrows and never usually return. Sibling borrows from all of us. Should I ask my sibling to return back? What amount money do you think is okay to not be returned back?
    What about my parents. Should I ask them back or should I also borrow and not return like my sibling.
    How is it in your family ?

2. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

In my family we rarely borrow. I borrowed during house purchase which I repayed in a year. Amount ceiling depends on your comfort. But if it goes to the point that you don't have much to meet your expenses you have to watch it.

Give them a time frame. Say in next three months , you need money to pay for a course. Ask them to pay it back by that period. Keep reminding them. If they are not returning, put your foot down and don't lend from next time.

3. star90

star90 Senior IL'ite

I have enough for my expenses but they have their own money and they live a lavish life spending my money.
    Is it morally right to ask money back from blood relations , when the money is not in lakhs , when its just a few thousands? like Rs 3000 - Rs 10 000 ?

4. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

In my opinion it is morally right. Based on what you have said, it's not that they have a real need. It's your hard earned money and you have all right to ask for it.

5. silentlistener

silentlistener Silver IL'ite

With a sibling irrespective of whether the amount is small or big , the money once lent should be got back.

6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op....unless and until you are rolling in money or your family is in real need,it is always a good idea to return money.

If your family is used to this and you are not comfortable.....either tell them you are short on money and can't spare or if they do borrow...borrow it back.

Sometimes when it is common in the family....saying out something can cause bad blood or hurt feelings .
    Someday you may need their help too or they may need but won't ask.

If your sibling owes you 8000 rs...borrow 10 ,000 and return the 2000 in a few days . Keep your accounting with siblings clear.

As for parents, if it is a small amount,let it go .
    If it is a bigger amount,ask for it when you need.

7. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

I would not think of counting money when giving to my sister or parents .but then we never borrow so that situation did not arise till now . There is No universal answer what is moral in such a case. Everything depends on the kind of relationship and the situation . If your sister genuinely cares for you then let this go , but encourage her to have financial discipline . But if you feel she is intentionally taking your money for lavishing , then have a talk with her that you need the money for savings / EMI commitments and she has to manage on her own .

I think you should not spoil the relation for a few thousand ruppees . Atleast with parents dont ask then to give back the money , after all they are your parents they must have done so many sacrifices for you to rause you . Just tell your parents you have financial crunch and you need their support .
    For sister, let this one time go .But avoid lending in future if you don't like it . Let her know you have your own financial commitments .

Maybe they are taking from you because they are not aware if your financial struges. Always make it a point to be honest and open with them about your financial.problems. after knowing all, next time they will not take money from you . But even after knowing your troubles , if still they don't show concern or compassion , next time just say you don't have any cash in hand. Do help them sort out the financial mess . Because always borrowing money from relatives makes everyone uncomfortable and the practice should be avoided . Financial discipline is very important .

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  8. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

I personally would let this amount go. Relationships can strain over money, even one wrong word can hurt people, n we are talking about our loved ones here. Not sure if it's worth all that drama or pain.

If they don't have the 'habit' of paying back after borrowing, then you should just borrow your money back n leave it at that since this is bothering you.

N next time they ask, come up with any random reasons to not give. When it bothers you, don't give again n add on stress or strain the relationship.

shravs3 likes this.
  9. paru123

paru123 Gold IL'ite

If its for lavish spending, better not to lend and worry abt repayment. If its for something urgent or important I might not ask it back.

shravs3 likes this.
  10. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

Personally I would just let it go. But if it is bothering you so much, follow what yellowmango suggested. I suggest you not to judge your siblings that they are having lavish life borrowing your money.