1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

money issues in marriage

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Sweet121, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Sweet121

Sweet121 New IL'ite

My husband and myself have huge financial issues. Both of us are earning and decently paid.
    He has very casually asked me to share my account details in the begining and when I did he counted all my expenses and blamed me to have spent so much on my own family. He even blamed my family to be after my money. Needless to say, my parents like every other indian parents would give me ten times of what I would give them. And obviously we had a huge argument but finally moved on without reaching any conclusion.
    But I resolved not to share my finance details with him again to avoid getting into that situation. He as a result never disclosed his own finances with me which he had already not done until now. And when I would expect him to run the household finances, he would blame me for not sharing the responsibility.

Now he fell ill for a long time and I had managed the entire finances which became huge due to his illness. No one from his family would actually came and support knowing that I am earning. With my earnings it was somehow manageable but I was not left to spend anything for myself. Note that this phase was not a short one but continued for a whole year.

Now when he is getting well and has started earning, he hasn't yet volunteered to run the finances himself. I know that he over-estimates my salary and under-estimates the expenses and my own financial needs.

Please advise how to save my relation because I am trying hard to not think of him as money minded and selfish but everything indicates otherwise. Because as of today, he had never felt like sharing his own salary details with me which I have every right to know being his wife.

2. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

If you are married you are kind of a shared financial unit. That does not mean that you have to share everything. One solution is that you calculate your shared needs (housing, food etc) and both put to that an equal share (or in proportion with your salary) and you have the rest for your self. Maybe you should put in the past what happened and more focus on how to do thing in the future.

1 person likes this.