Monday Fast for Shivji

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by billo76, Aug 17, 2014.

1. billo76

billo76 New IL'ite

Hii all I stay in Singapore and I have some queries ,hope someone can help

I want to do the monday fast for Shivji. I have different forums and some give different info.

Can i drink water at least ?

Should i take my breakfast before my pooja or after poona ?

Here the temples don't allow us to do bathing of shivling, so what do i do ?

I can't find the bel leaves and some other things I will need for my poona.

Which is the website i can hear the Katha or read it ?

What do I do on my last Monday ?

Can the fast be done every Monday should I wish to do it permanently ?

Is there a particular month to start or anytime on a Monday is possible ?

Thanks everyone. I am a Punjabi and its new for me.

2. saibaba171819

saibaba171819 Silver IL'ite

Om sairam

Sravan is the proper month to start the Vrath for Lord shiva. You can do for 16 Mondays or just keep for the 4 or 5 mondays of shravan. Noted Bel leaves are not avilable at singapore and you cannot offer abhishek to ShiVling. That is Ok Please follow the below simple measure which I do on Mondays :

1)Wakeup early , take hair bath and wear white clothes Light the lamp in your home temple offer flowers, incense sticks
    2) Chant Om namah shivaya 108 times Read shivachalisa from google website
    3) Go to the nearby temple preferably shiva temple and pray.
    4) Donate some money at the temple for the abhishekam or archana
    5) Have tea, coffee fruits and milk during the day
    6) Cook a simple meal of Dal Rice sabji salad One sweet dish like Sheera or Payasam
    7) During the day keep chanting Om namah shivaya Om namo Parwathi devi namaha
    8) at 6pm light the lamp in your home temple pray and have your meals with your family
    9) On the last Monday of shravana do the same procedure and offer a charity to some needy person. I donate a sari blouse sweet box fruits flowers to any lady whom I find in the temple premises At singapore it looks difficultso just donate at the temple or to a needy person.

May Baba bless you immensely.

Om sairam
    REKHA MENON

3. shivgauri

shivgauri Senior IL'ite

Hello mam,
    i am a pandit and perform every type of pooja. I am a lady but i am doing this work only my interest.
    If you want to start monday fast for shiv ji then after taking bath you can drink tea and water. And if you can't pooja in temple then you can do it at home. Bel leaves is neccesary for shiv pooja but not compulsory. Which items you can collect or buy , u can used for shiv pooja. In shiv pooja timing is compulsary. Pls keep mind shiv pooja is performed after 12am and before sunset.
    You can start monday fast in savan month. And u can read katha online

just open google and type somvar vrat katha

4. Sonvi

Sonvi Silver IL'ite

My family has kept this vrat many times and so have I

get up early have bath, read katha and chant om Namah shivay 108 times, after you can eat fruit or milk...in this fast you are not allowed to eat any salt at all....you can drink water, milk and juice as long as no salt in juice, in evening you can visit temple...if you can't pour milk on shivling....jus offer a new bottle of milk and pray...and in evening light diya at home and eat 1meal...I normally have plain potato paratha with no salt or any type of masala....jus plain potato paratha with yogurt....and have with unsalted butter or ghee and tea. Hope this helps xxx

5. bonjour92

bonjour92 New IL'ite

mam i ve a doubt..should the 16 week pooja be for consecutive mondays?coz periods cropped up in the third week..how should i go about it?

6. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Skip the pooja during the periods. I also did the 16 week pooja of Shivji and I skipped it during those days.

7. MLP1

MLP1 Silver IL'ite

I don't do 16 week monday fast (Solah Somwar). But I fast every Monday and plan to do it for long as possible. I fast even when I get my period. I just don't say mantras / slokas on those days. I suppose for Solah Somwar the method is different.

8. 28neha

28neha Platinum IL'ite

I do fasting every Monday..i just have one time food (i would have skipped this also but i have acidity prblm)..morning just prayer.after that i will have milk n groudnut or fruits..afternoon i will have food and night i will not have( i am working women, i dont have much facilities of fruits and juice in office so afternoon itself i have my food)..you can have at night.night prayer...thats it i do very simple...:)

9. NY152

NY152 New IL'ite

Hi,

A friend of mine wants to start these fasts too. I already do them. She wanted to know if she can smoke a cigarette on days other than Monday's or if she has to quit for the entire fasting period?
    Thank you

10. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Smoking on mondays is allowed provided it involves weed !
    P.s is this a genuine question ?
    P.p.s cigarette smoking is injurious to health ( source : Maine pyaar kiya )

Naari and Mistt like this.