1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Moms whose kids go to daycare

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by klniha, Jul 10, 2012.

1. klniha

klniha Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I joined my son in daycare for 4 hrs a day coz I will be joining work in a month or so, so I want him to get used to it instead of putting him full time from start. It's been 2 days and he cries horribly and uncontrollably when I drop him there and continues to do that. I feel terrible. I dont know what to do. He is 20 months old, was never away from me for a single day and is very very attached to me. He doesn't go out of my sight even for a minute. I am feeling like saying no to the job but then I want to work and at some point in life he has to join school if not now. So what was your experience ladies? How did you deal with it and how long did your child take to get used to it. Also, do the day care teachers think it's a pain to handle him as he is crying mostly?

Pls guide me.

2. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

This is a phase which will pass. I was in the same situation last month. I have a toddler of 25 months. I put her in a playschool near by. She was fine for first two days. But later on she started crying very badly ..so i had pick her up from play home after 2 hrs. This went on for 2 weeks. Then i used to tell her that she has grown up and has to go to the play home. They would give her toys and allow her to play. so slowly she got adjusted to the playhome ...

Even now after one month she cries the moment i leave her there ...but that is only for 2 minutes...later on she is fine ....

When i spoke to the teachers in the playschool..they said the children who are with the mom ... will take some time to adujst ..unlike some people who leave their children at Granny's place so some other care taker ....will adjust faster .....

So ...dont leave your son for 4 hours initially ....first week pick him up early say after 2 hrs ...second week extend the timings ....and third week ....extend the timings again .....

By then he will get used to the routine and knows that mama will come and pick him up from the play home ...

Even at home tell him that he has to go to the paly home and play there ...and will have some of his favorite toys and also learn ..

3. DGcreative

DGcreative Platinum IL'ite

Dear Klniha

I can understand its tough time for you, but dont worry he will get adjusted. starting a few hours initially is right for the kid to get adjusted to daycare. My son started with daycare when he was 13months & he used to cry profusely. This continued for about 10-15days where I used to put him for 2-3hrs & then gradually increased the time. Then he got used to the environment & used to cry when we used to drop him but he'd be ok after that. Its been a year now & he is well adjusted there. I drop him & he bids me bye with a kiss & says "you'll come to pick me soon na...."

SO dont worry, your LO will get adjusted too. & no daycare ladies dont feel pain taking care of crying kids coz they are used to & know that kids this small start like this. So All the very best to you & your LO.