1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mommy Brain - (Entry for Mother's day Blog Contest)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SupriyaDinesh, Apr 21, 2009.

1. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

View attachment 129899

MOMMY BRAIN

It’s a known fact that every human being has a powerful brain, until I discovered "Mommy brain" which can be the sharpest when needed and blank at times. Not all are born with a motherly instinct. But the birth of a child gives birth to a mom too.

Coming to the topic, the brain of a new born mom is fuzzy, days and night filled with diaper change, feeding and tiredness. I used to be embarrassed, when I used to think hard which side should the next feed be. Hope you got what I meant. I cursed my brain which could not remember anything that had happened before few hours time. Later I discovered that there are special bands, pins to be worn by the new mom to remember the feeding schedule. That's when I was relieved that I was not alone.

As the baby starts to coo, giggle, blow bubbles, every mom behaves as though no one has done such cute things before. We go ga-ga about the baby’s activities unaware that the person listening has snored half way. This phase of mommy brain can decipher the cry perfectly and cater the needs. Every day we learn and not all day the reactions to our actions are the same from the baby.

Something that made them happy will make them fuzzy next time. We can put our heads high in being able to be spontaneous. These are the times when we are least bothered about the world and surroundings, let alone studying and updating to the latest technology.

Crawling, walking, running..Mommies brain races faster than the kid’s mobility to check out the surrounding dangers and preventing any injuries. A normal cup of hot coffee will suddenly look like the most dangerous thing a kid can reach to. Alert, react- these are the military mom’s brain. When our brain and body are sleeping the subconscious mind is always awake to check for any roll over, dirty diaper or hunger which keeps them prompt at night times.

Little did I think that I will be learning rhymes, action songs, read board books, memorizing the characters in Dora all over again to teach my little one. Still I cannot believe that I learnt the characters of Thomas and friends, Yo gabba gabba to teach him. Is it me, who few years back did a Master degree and bagged a Gold medal for the same..Cannot believe...

Masking the senses..Amazing part of the mommy brain. It is a myth or a coincidence that the moment mommies sit to flavor their food, the kids unleash their bowel and fill the territory with an alarming odor. After many days of these repeated events, we can pick the smell we want and not be bothered about the unnecessary ones. We can perfectly understand the gibberish shriek of our little ones.

Baby food- Moms are the first one to taste before feeding the baby. Right from the formula to, mushy jar food nothing escapes our mouth before feeding, to check if the kiddo will like it or not. There are times when I had tears when my baby had rejected the food (the 5 the one in a day) I had cooked with great effort. I did not remain hungry though, because I need strength to cook again.

Comparison is at its peak during the initial mothering phase. I never dreamt that I will have sleepless nights because my neighbor's son had 4 teeth while my son had none at the same age. Now it sounds funny, but I was damn worried that then.

I am a 3-year old mother. Learning every day, I am sure there will be days ahead when I need to figure out much more about the boy, teen and a grown-up.

Mommy brain is Forgiving, Unconditionally loving and at its best during the motherhood.

I have just brought out one aspect of mothering.

Happy Mother's day.

2. srura

srura New IL'ite

Mother's nature
    Pregnancy, delivering a baby then feeding the baby, maintaining the baby's cleanliness, his sleep, laugh, cry every single action the baby makes is carefully monitored by his mother.
    She forgets herself when she raises her child.
    Taking care of her baby is the top priority for her after she becomes a mother. She is so sweet, so caring and loving.
    Its so sad of us that we forget/ doesn't realize the sacrifices our mother makes to raise us. She is the one who teaches you how to talk. She helped us when we were totally helpless in our childhood. We cannot count her favors.
    Its a true saying "Heaven lies under the feet of mother". We must take care of our mother, love her respect her, be good to her, must not quarrel with her, or must not make her angry.....
    Keep her happy always,
    Happy Mothers Day.

3. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hi supriya
    very well written..though it has been along time back i relived all those special moments through your blog..thank u.
    and do keep those mommy brains sharp and alert..you have many more years of mothering..enjoy them..
    love
    Mindi

4. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Supriya

What a lovely write up to bring out the emotion, joy and happiness in upbringing a child.

fantastic. I love each word of yours.

andal

5. pshirisha

pshirisha New IL'ite

HI Supriya...

Very nice blog.. It had helped me in one way..
    My sis is pregnant.. and what a coincidence her name is also supriya..
    i would def take a print of it and ask her read to sharpen her brain from now itself...

Lovely blog...

6. Phoenixritu

Phoenixritu New IL'ite

Supriya, this is an excellent blog post. Brought back my memories of my kids being little. All the best

7. SupriyaDinesh

Dear Srura,
    Thank you for reading my blog and sharing your thoughts.

8. SupriyaDinesh

Dear Mindi,
    Will definitely remember these days.Thank you.

9. SupriyaDinesh

Dear Swathi,
    I am glad that this blog appealed to you.Thank you.

10. SupriyaDinesh

Hi Pshirisha,
    Convey my wishes to your sister.I am happy that you liked it.Do not worry,she will get sharp brain once she the baby comes to the world.