1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Moments For Each Other - a book by Robert Strand :-) - Day 2 The Test

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by jayyu5, Dec 2, 2011.

1. jayyu5

jayyu5 Gold IL'ite

His name was Lt. John Blanchard, a soldier in basic training in Florida during WWII. One evening he wandered into the post library and found a book to read. The feminine handwriting in the margins intrigued him, so he turned to the front of the book and found the anme of the previous owner...a Miss Hollis Maynell.

Blanchard did some research and found her address in New York. The folllowing day he was shipped overseas. For 13 months, the two corresponded by letter and began to open their hearts to each other. He asked for her picture, to which she refused by saying that if he really loved her it wouldn't matter what she looked like.

Finally the day came when they were to meet in Grand Central Station, New York City. She had instructed, "You will recongnize me by the red rose that i will be wearing on my lapel."

Let's let the young soldier tell you what happened:

A young woman was coming toward me, beautifl, trim, blonde, eyes were blue as flowers, and in her pale green suit she was like springtime come alive. I started toward her forgetting that she was not wearing the rose... and then i saw Hollis Maynell!!

She was standing behind the girl. A woman with graying hair. But she wore a red rose on the tumpled brown lapel of her coat. So deep was my longing for the woman who's spirit had captured me that i approached her. There she stood, face was gentle and sensible and her gray eyes had a twinkle. I didnt hesitate. My hand gripped the small worn blue leather book which was to identify me to her.

I sqaured my shoulders and saluted and held out the book to the woman while choking back the bitterness of disappointment. "I 'm Lt.John Blanchard and you must be Miss Maynell. I am so glad to meet you. May I take you to dinner?"

The woman's face broadened into a smile. "I don't know what this is about, son", she answered, "but the young lady in the green suit who just went, asked me to wear this rose. And she said if you were to ask me out to dinner I should tell you that she is waiting for you in the large restaurant across the street.She said it was some kind of test!"

Apparently Lt. John Blanchard passed the test! Would you?

Today's Quote: The magic of first love is our ignorance that it can never end! --Disraeli

Today's Verse: But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control

==========================================================

Thats for today

Jayyu

2. Soumedh

Soumedh Silver IL'ite

Nice story:)Thanks for sharing!