1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Modern-day Nanda Penance

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ChennaiExpress, Jun 13, 2016.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

I'm quite interested in Hindu mythology (I believe there is always an element to truth to this).

Currently, I am watching Shiv Mahapuran videos on YouTUBE and finished the one on Sati's birth.

It's interesting to note that Nanda Penance (full meditation on the Almighty) is done by unmarried girls to get the Husband of their choice. What is more interesting is that Sati's mother enabled her daughter to perform this Nanda Penance.

Few thoughts come to mind

1. In Christian Bible they say, "Delight yourself in the LORD; And He will give you the desires of your heart". Sati was thinking of Lord Shiva or God Almighty so that she gets the desires of her heart, i.e. to be at the feet of the Husband of her choice (who in an honest society is akin to God Almighty)

2. When King Daksha, Sati's father was looking for Sati, it is Sati's mother who told the King that she is doing penance. In other words, both parents supported their daughter to do penance (i.e. grow spiritually and emotionally) to get Husband of her choice. Nowadays many Indian parents compel their daughter to marry someone she most probably will not like, doesn't get along with, etc, due to societal pressures. The Married Life forum are a testament to that.

3. Several ladies on IL always advise women who are recently divorced, in unhappy marriages, etc, to be comfortable being alone, to find hobbies and activities they enjoy so that the Husband of their dreams will chase them. I believe this is akin to Nanda penance. It is natural human desire to wish for companionship, and learning to enjoy life alone is an arduous task (speaking from experience). But I do believe there is a time and place for everything, and at the right moment, the Husband of the girl's choice will appear before her. Same way that Lord Shiva appeared before Sati.

RatnaMalliswari and vaidehi71 like this.

2. RatnaMalliswari

RatnaMalliswari Gold IL'ite

Hello,
    I loved what you wrote to get good husband, but in this Kali Yuga period will all this pooja performance will have effect,offcourse might be better than most worst one,I have seen many couples who performed such type of pooja and all but they haven't got it.I believe the life partner part is predefined for everyone,as you said time has to get strike to make that relation.And more over its believing system what you see you feel that,I mean the perception what we expect at that of pooja we can see that if we believe it.Nothing wrong in performing such penance,believing God itself is big strength to us,believing at every step will bring out us from all issues.I just wrote what I believe, it's not contradiction to any one,as every one have their own belief.

ChennaiExpress likes this.