1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Mix of Bittergourd & bottlegourd juice in winter with hypothyroid? Useful or harmful

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by rissy, Dec 3, 2011.

1. rissy

rissy Silver IL'ite

Someone told me that bottlegourd and bittergourd juice can do wonders in weight problem, diabetes thyroid BP and various other problems. But this is winter & with having hypothyroid, is it okey to take bottlegourd juice.

I know some may suggest to consult with doctor before taking anything but the problem with nowadays doctors is that most of them are very money minded and never give u right suggestions and only ask u to rely on their medicines and give you negetive replys like no matter what u do if its in your genes u will be prone to diabetes and overweight. Needless to say that all this juice therapy and other home remedies are always suggested by old people or people who treat with naturapathy. No alopathy doctor would suggest a patient to take bottlegourd juice or try any other home remedies. If all the people follow home remedies and don't fall sick, all the docs will be on the roads begging. Thats the mentality of this doctors and they won't give right suggestion. I don't say all doctors are like that but I have personal experience and asking doctor won't work. They will only tell you to take medicines as prescribed by them and going to dieticians, most of them charges Rs. 1000 per sittings.

Anyways, but I have heard from various places and even on internet I read about it. They only thing I am not sure here is being a hypothyroid and that too in winter I am not sure if I can take bottlegourd juice alone because the property of bottlegourd juice is of cold. It makes the body cold and is very useful in summers but this is winter and in hypothyroid body becomes cold. I also have insulin resistence so I am thinking to mix bottlegourd and bittergourd juice so that bittergourd add some warmness. But will that be right? Is mixing bottlegourd and bittergourd can do any harm?

Doctor prescribed thyronorm 50mcg and medicine for insulin resistence which i am taking regularly. Every morning I take thyronorm 50 mcg first and after one hour drink hot water with lemon. Then after one hour of that can I take mix juice of bottlegourd (lauki) and bittergourd (karela)?

Then since I have grey hair problem I am also planning to take mix of 7-8 Amla (Indian gooseberry) one piece of turmeric and small piece of ginger juice. So after half hour of taking bittergourd and bottlegouord juice, can I also take mix juice of Indian gooseberry, turmeric and ginger?

If one by one if I take juices of all the above ingredients then can it do any harm to my body? Will it be benificial to me please suggest?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011

2. rissy

rissy Silver IL'ite

Re: Mix of Bittergourd & bottlegourd juice in winter with hypothyroid? Useful or harm

again 55 views but no reply. Can someone suggest on this pls. Thanks

3. injustice

injustice Bronze IL'ite

Re: Mix of Bittergourd & bottlegourd juice in winter with hypothyroid? Useful or harm

Sorry rissy even i dont have idea. But my aunty used to have karela juice daily. Her b.p diabetis will be in control.i think that is coz of the juice ay be.

4. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi Rissy,

I am also going through same condition as yours. I never tried lauki juice and cant say about that. But i can suggest u u can take karela juice mixed with lemon juice and or amla powder but since u are diabetic use amla powder instead of lemon juice. After taking thyronorm u must wait for one hour then take this juice. no side effects i tried this. You dont need to take all juices in the morning itself before breakfast. You can take one juice like karela juice with amla and little salt thn wait for half an hour then have your breakfast. If you want to add other juices like lemon turmeric and ginger u can split them for whole day before lunch and before dinner. But i wil suggest u dont consume so many things which affects blood sugar level because u are already taking medicine for that specially i am telling about turmeric it produces heat.
    take care
    Padma

1 person likes this.
  5. ivlakshmi

ivlakshmi Platinum IL'ite

Hi Rissy,
    If u reduce weight the thyroid problem can be reduced..I am not sure of the juice. Once of my cousin is taking 2 chapatis and sprouts at night.. Her dietician sid not to starve but eat less with regular intervals of time..It is ok to skip night meals but one should never skip breakfast