1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mistaken Identities - on both sides of the fence

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Aug 28, 2011.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

[JUSTIFY]The scene of action: Outside a restaurant

Opening scene: Vijima, mama and Satchi sit outside on a bench awaiting the arrival of other ILites for the meet.

Action: Vijima and Satchi are sitting and looking around at all the "suspects" wondering if any of them are the ILites who are supposed to be present today.
    Satchi gets a call from one of the members who says she is not able to make it. :-( Anyway, nice of her to call up and inform.

Ice calls up to say she is on her way and will be there shortly. OK shall wait.

Soem 15 minutes later a lady who looks suspiciously like Vidchakra arrives on the scene. Vijima and Satchi look at her and she looks back. The debate begins "Is this Vid, is this not? Is she or is she not"? (The reference is a picture on another networking site). Vijima thinks she is not. Satchi thinks she could just be. After hesitating a few minutes, the said person walks up towards the threesome with a grin on her face. Satchi is delighted.:thumbsup There comes Vid. She rises, walks up to said candidate and embraces her in hug. Said candidate hugs back with equal warmth and they both take a seat on the bench outside. The conversation begins. Candidate says she had some clothes to exchange here. She had bought them a couple of days ago and they did not fit right. Satchi is about to exclaim that it was a good coincidence that the work and the meet brought her to the same place. Something does not seem right though. Conversation continues. Candidate asks Satchi how she is doing and comments that Satchi has not changed except probably that she might have lost some weight. Satchi's hard disk is whirring trying to comprehend what is going on. When did Vid see Satchi to know whether she had changed or not? Witsend Then Satchi's tubelight starts blinking. She asks her "Were you my student"? She says "Yes" with a puzzled look on her face.:?: "What a coincidence" says Satchi and rambles on - something that Satchi cannot remember herself. She is in such a state of shock. She asks "You are Vidya". Candidate looks at Satchi as if she has lost it and says "No". shakehead She looks ready to run from the place if need be.:help Satchi looks searchingly into the candidate's face and then asks "Are you Gayathri"? She says "Yes". Satchi wishes the earth would open up and swallow her up.:redface: But Satchi is no Sita. So she sits there looking mortified, says an incoherent "Sorry, I mistook you for someone else, you look quite like her" and tries to make polite conversation. After 5 minutes Gayathri takes leave of Satchi and goes away.:wave

Scene 2: Arrive Mathangikkumar on the scene (Due apologies to Mathangi - cannot leave a tale half told). She introduces herself and seats herself on the bench and Satchi introduces herself. Mathangi asks a couple of questions and then suddenly realizes that this is "Satchitananda". She exclaims "Oh, I thought you were a man".:eek:mg: Later on in the conversation she says that she always thought she was a man and her gesticulations imply that she thought her to be a rotund man with a beard and past a "certain" age.:rotfl Oh dear, Satchi better be careful. Can't afford to have the Income Tax officials running after her in the hopes of finding a treasure trove under her mattress.

So as you see, besides meeting people and having fun and eating good food, there were other events too which made the day very eventful for Satchi. So in future, at any further meets in public places, Satchi shall be standing/sitting there like the silent Buddha with an inscrutable expression on her face. Please walk up to her and introduce yourselves. Please save Satchi from hugging total strangers!!!!! [/JUSTIFY]

14 people like this.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Now all the Ilites who donot know you or cannot identify you know to look for a silent Buddha!! Oh Satchi...that was hilarious. i can only say thank God I met you at home.....:) and well with a name like that should I say it was ok for Mathangi to have thought of you as a man, except I wonder if men could write as well about the subjects you pick out to write or that yummmm....MW mysore pak can be dished out like that.

Glad you had so much fun!!

1 person likes this.
  3. satchitananda

Thanks Sabitha. I think it would be a better idea to meet all ILites at home, so that I am safe from myself. :)

4. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchitananda:

Your story reminds me of a difficult situation a colleague faced when I was teaching in Japan. This young Japanese man was unmarried and dying to get married. He was ranting and raving and running all over the place in search of a woman who might be willing to be his date. Now, another colleague's wife, also a Japanese, discovered a young Japanese girl and all the match making strategies ensued. But how to get them to meet each other? Normally, they would be meeting for the first time in a restaurant. The boy would wait for the girl and she would show up at the appointed hour. So far so good. But how on earth would she recognize him? If, by mistake, she were to go up to the wrong table and start speaking to the wrong person, then all hell could break out.

But the Japanese, being Japanese, found a perfect solution. The match making lady in question approached me, yes me, to accompany the eligible bachelor to the restaurant and wait for the girl with him at a table. Then, when the potential bride arrived, she would not face the problem of mistaken identities. There was only one person who could look like me in a restaurant in Japan. At least, the probability was very high.

Much to my discomfort, I agreed to the proposal and went and sat with the colleague and the meeting went through smoothly. As soon as she arrived, she headed straight for our table and that was my signal to leave. She did not say a single word to me, sob, sob.

And if you are wondering what happened next, then I will leave it to your imagination. I am still in touch with this Japanese gentleman on behalf of whom I helped to solve the identity crisis.

Perhaps, taking off from here, you could have waited on the bench with an Arfican lady and then there would have been no mistaken identity problem at all. Right? All the people would know in advance whom to look for to identify you, wouldn't they?

Love.

oj-da

3 people like this.
  5. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Satchi, very funny. You should have asked Gaythri to join IL and especially CM.

CL

6. satchitananda

Now OJ-da, that is the most original tip I have received and can well put it to use at another meet. Thanks so much. My imagination tells me that you gathered some punya by bringing together two soul-mates.

7. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

the opening itself is so interesting and hillarious Satchi. Gayathri was your student so, You are saved! But if you decide to stay as a buddha.. then in next ILite meets, those who will be sitting alone silently will be put into trouble (just imagining the situation...) by the silent buddha ...you satchi..... ha..ah..aha. people seeing the clam lonely sitting people may mistake them for you 'Sat' 'Chit' 'Ananda' ha....a...good that no one expected you to be a 'dhadiwala baba' in a saffron robe wearing rudraksh ;-) . but do you think you will be able to do it (silent buddha)? ;-)

Glad to know you all had a wonderful meet. wish you many more such happy meetings.

1 person likes this.
  8. satchitananda

Now that is a thought Mira. My sympathies with the natural clams and all that, but that will make it difficult for me to keep a straight face. So the Buddha identity will be shot in the foot from the word "go". As for "can I"- of course I can. When I choose to, you could not pry open my shell - no matter what you do.

9. satchitananda

Good idea CL. Yes, a call to her and some nice conversation is certainly in order and I could very well invite her to IL. :)

10. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Satchi,
    Though we had talked about both the scenes earlier, I still enjoyed reading it again.

Continuing the narration of scene 1...
    When Vid arrived grinning at all the people sitting on the bench, the other side took some time to smile back. And Vid had to convince that she is the same person whom Satchi has seen on facebook.

And oj da, what an idea sirji! There cannot be a more apt suggestion... Thanks :)

Satchi, please start looking for an African lady.. We don't want this to be a reason to delay our next IL meet.

3 people like this.