1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mission Impossible

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Agatha83, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Thyagarajan

It is not that all the staff working in many other PSU banks are rude. I have met many courteous people who went out of the way , in helping us. But this kind of courtesy is expected from everyone who deals with the public.
    In the MTC bus also we meet conductors who are extremely rude and some who are very helpful. We always remember those who are courteous towards us.

Agatha83

Thyagarajan and sindmani like this.
  2. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Ayya,

Ayya’ - this is a wonderful form of addressing senior citizens in Tamil. Then comes ‘ Sir’, which can be used to address anyone irrespective of their age. In Lucknowi Hindi even a one year child is addressed as ‘Aap’- a word which evokes a lot of respect. I don’t know from where we have got this slang word ‘ Perisu’. Please ask those who call you like that to change their way of addressing you. You are an eminent and respectable person and sure this is not the way you should be called.
    What can you say about children. Too bad. Parents are helpless bystanders because all the trendy words their children learn is from their peer group.

Regards,

Agatha83

Thyagarajan and joylokhi like this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Agatha,

Despite all the sufferings you and your husband went through, we enjoyed the narration of this snippet very much. We have a locker in one of the public sector bank even today and making sure we have enough bank balance in that bank to pay the ever growing locker fee is hard for us as well. We operate that locker at least once a year to make sure it is not considered unused and handed over to the central government. I understand there are many unclaimed lockers in India even today.

I had an interesting experience last year when I needed to open a capital gains designated account to deposit the money received from sale of my parents' property. First I opened a new bank account with a private bank only to be told later that capital gains designated account can be opened only by public sector banks. Therefore, I reached back our own bank requesting them to open this special account. The manager was nice offering coffee and told us that he could do it in a heartbeat. A week later when the transaction closed, he went on a personal trip somewhere and the next in line (a lady) told me that she could handle it. After so many calls to the head office finally, she found a way to open the account. In the afternoon, I received a frantic call from the branch asking me to come back to produce two IDs and finally the draft was remitted just a day before I left for the United States.

Thyagarajan and Agatha83 like this.
  4. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear@kkrish,

I am happy in a way that I am not the only one who has undergone humiliation under the hands of bank officials. I know how a post office nowadays work. When we educated people get this kind of treatment in Public sector departments, imagine the plight of underdogs, people who have no voice, no money power or contacts.

In all the post offices where we went for a closure of accounts, we had to give our photos, Copies of Aadhar cards, and we were made to wait for four hours for a job which took just a few minutes. There were hardly any customers, but the lady in charge said there was a server problem. No chairs, so we had to stand all the time.

Getting death certificates is easy nowadays because every thing is online, but still takes a month, definitely a long wait. No need to wait in front of Corporation offices. But even if a person is dead, an Aadhaar card is a must without which, even giving our loved ones a decent farewell is difficult.

Presently I am enjoying the Thiruvaiyaru Aradhana concerts.- which are streamed live. What an enjoyable experience it is. Hope you are also having a nice time watching them.Thank you for your heartfelt appreciation.

Agatha83

kkrish and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,

It’s not that easy to break open a customer’s locker without informing the customer or having substantial reasons to break open a locker. We are not a Nirav Modi or a Vijay Malllya to have stashed diamonds, gold and cash in the locker.

Yes, as you have mentioned here, things that should happen in a jiffy could take many months and perhaps even years. When our ration card was changed into a smart card, my DH had to run to the ration shop almost for a year, to get the smart card. There is no concession anywhere for senior citizens except in the FD interest rates where they pay 0.5% more than others.

Agatha83

sindmani, Viswamitra and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:I did.
    Thanks.
    Regards.

7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Love your ability to lace an experience with bank officials with so much humour. Hats off also to the fact that you did not raise merry hell on the very first day. Public sector officials need to be taught the meaning of the word 'service'.

Agatha83, Thyagarajan and sindmani like this.
  8. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear satchi@satchinanda,

The bad experience we had to undergo in this particular bank was far much better than those we met during the demonetization drive. It was like watching Rajni’s first day, first show movie, where you get the ticket but you come out in tattered clothes. Yes the happiness we get, when things get done, out-wins all the hardships we undergo in the process.
    By the way when are you going to become active in IL.

Agatha83

satchitananda and Thyagarajan like this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:I needed bank attested copies for submission to another public body. In view of urgency, I went to the nearest psu bank in upstairs and met the manager who had suggested me to his deputy. I had savings account for family and I and substantial fixed deposits maturing after several months. Even telling so, the Deputy said it would cost me ₹100. I thought for a while. Ok. It must be their policy to dissuade customers from approaching them for this type of work.

2. Then I had taken back my papers to another psu bank, little farthest where I and my family maintain savings account and my pension account. I met the manager with the xerox and original. He listened to my requirement and in no time he did the attestation.

3. Both banks are government entity both proclaims wholly owned by Govt. of India!

4. I wrote to the top man of the first psu who showed me tariff for various services including attestation. No reply despite reminders. It is the same bank not replying for my asking them to refund rent already recovered for the remaining period locker service not being availed and account stands closed in middle of FY.

5. I AGREE THAT even top man in psu cannot help the customers and at best they can be indifferent.

6. In govt or quasi govt, it is preferable to deal with lower caders, who got the knack of getting your work done but then it is again boils down to personal equation with concerned clerk.

7. Some psu banks debit our account in advance annual fee for use of their debit cards. Some even send cheque book or books only by REGD post even if customers say they would collect it personally and debit postal charges to person’s account.

8. I have no such problems with the large private bank in this city Chennai.
    Thanks and Regards.

God is even or odd!

10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Agatha, sorry, my life has been like a roller coaster - not necessarily in an unpleasant sense last one month. Went on a trip to Haridwar-Hrishikesh, then a visit from ILs which was about one week. Was recovering from that when my sister and bil came for a week and left today. Sis fell ill during her time here. Cousin's son's wedding, mil's angioplasty yesterday, my trip to Chennai tomorrow for a conference ..... I don't know whether I am coming and going. Have not been used to this level of activity in years. Will certainly get back once life is more on an even keel.